Thread: RA28 with 1GGTE, need some advice of the o so wise ones!

ground up rebuild... 1st year Apprentice MIN728's Avatar

Talking RA28 with 1GGTE, need some advice of the o so wise ones!

I have been building one good ra28 from two shells over the past 6 months, brought so many new parts from overseas for it, just recieved my 1ggte ga70 half cut and im preparing for the conversion, this will be a registered daily driven car and my main focus is drivability and comfort.
    This is where im at,
    Brand new parts for just about everything from interior parts to external lenses, including a rare set of ra25 jdm gt taillights!!! (reconditioned)
    the plan has been to get this motor in and test fit and cut any neccesary bits out for the front mount intercooler etc before sending it to paint and panel, i also wanted to get the seats in and test fitted but that has no real need before the paint job, anyone know how to fit a set of mr2 turbo bucket seats easily????
    i have researched the 1ggte conversion extensively on here, and have my non turbo engine mounts and im aware of the space plate needed to clear the steering box on the turbos, im also aware of the need to chop out a small chunk from the back of the sump to clear the steering rack. I heard from another ra28 enthusiast in sydney that has done this conversion that the tailshaft yoke and length match up exactly to the 1ggte with a w58 gearbox.. i have had a bit of a nosey at my half cut and my celica and it doesnt look like a straight fit.. i realise the gearbox will need adaptors to mount to the gearbox mount holes.. i have seen a heap of info on front brake conversions, was looking for a reliable option that is also cost effective but realistic for this drive train????
    just wondering if anyone has any clear answers of can point me in the direction of a page that does... just trying to do it right the first time and possibly avoid wasting time and money.. which is on a budget... but being nearly 8 grand into this build.. im well and truely committed... lol.. anyways any help would be appreciated and i look forward to finally doing a celica cruise when my baby is complete..
    cheers dan..

77 RA28+1GGTE = Oldskool thats way cool
    http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=38197

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia stidnam's Avatar

Default Re: RA28 with 1GGTE, need some advice of the o so wise ones!

I also have a set of mr2 seats which are not fitted yet. from what I can see and researched the inner front tab will fit then the other 3 tabs will need extensions welded on to meet their respective mountings. I also think maybe one of the rears can be hammered out and redrilled to fit. I'm nearly 6"1' and think that its not going to be a practical drivers seat for me as my hair is brushing the roof sitting in the seat at my usual drivers position.

Well done on acquiring your mounts. You probably haven't fitted them to the motor yet by the sounds of it. Be aware you'll have to spread one of the mounts a little and file out the hole. Think its the top left hole on the mount for the intake side.

With regards to the spacer plate to clear the turbos thats one possibility. The other possibility and its really not that hard is to chop your mounts off your crossmember, chop them down correctly and then reweld them back on (can fit a strut brace then). Other option is to piss the steering system right off, do the ke70 crossmember mod and weld new mounts to that crossmember. That would be my option if I was to do it again. You would need a front sump though and a new swaybar.

With the sump you don't have to take it off and chop it out if you don't want to. Gently massage it with a hammer to fit. My engine was as far back as it could go and I didn't need to massage that much. Oh yeah if you do the ke70 crossmember you won't need to worry about this.

Yup the tailshaft bolts up, no problem there.

The gearbox mount from your celica will need some right angle steel welded on each end and then mounts redrilled. Rather easy.

Brake conversion - Search for the pug/hilux/corona conversion. Realistic and as about as cheap as your going to get. Cost me around $1000 with new shocks and EBC pads in the front.

Heh only 8 grand. I lost track awhile ago and I no longer have a 1g in my engine bay now.

You also have to think about radiator, fans, fuel system, fuel lines, intercooler, intercooler plumbing and potentially diff

Also if you can start your motor in your halfcut and ensure its all running fine before pouring a bucket load of money into it. You'll probably want to consider replacing cam shaft seals ($15 each i think), front seal ($25), rear seal ($40 and if you pull the housing off to get to it you may need a new gasket for that), water pump ($175), timing belt ($80), new plugs ($66), idler pulleys (1 is $110 the tensioner is like $210), thermostat ($20) and o-rings in the housing as well as any suspect gaskets. Also as for a clutch if you can find one the same diameter you may be able to get away a little cheaper but for a gen III clutch I think you can be paying up to $500 - $600 for a HD replacement. Also don't buy your throwout bearing from toyota. Just go down to your local auto one and they can be had for a fraction of the price and come with the housing. Oh yeah while you have toyota on the phone get some new shifter bushings and some coolant for when you finally need to fill that radiator.

Yeah thats about all I can think of at the moment. With regards to the seals you may only want to consider replacing them if they are weeping. All mine were but my cut didn't come with a cluster. Fucking rip off importers. I'll never be dealing with them again. 6 month wait and 6 months work for the biggest dissapointment. Will refrain from naming and shaming though.

stidnam

ground up rebuild... 1st year Apprentice MIN728's Avatar

Default Re: RA28 with 1GGTE, need some advice of the o so wise ones!

Wow, i generally didnt think the tailshaft would match up but thats some good news, i actually managed to get a brand new set of non turbo mounts direct from japan through a friend of mine for $310.. not cheap but readily available.. my halfcut is really good.. only 77000kms on the clock.. full gauge cluster everything is there.. no leaks from the motor.. i heard the motor running when i first went to inspect this halfcut and it ran really well.. clutch felt good... (just tested it between gears when it was running) i have heard you can massage the sump.. so thats also good news... hmm.. so far so good.. with regards to crossmember i really dont think i will get to the point where a strut brace will be needed.. as the motor will basically remain stock just for daily driving economy.. maybe a bit of fun on the weekends! hehe.. as for radiator i already brought a brand new alloy one.. its a bit thicker that the average radiator but only by 10mm and i have heard you can cut some of the rings off the bottom pulley if your not running air con etc.. so should fit pretty easily.. im going to run a 16"spal fan in between the radiator and the front mount cooler... so yeah.. i think i basically got everything covered.. just trying to tie up all the loose ends.. kudos to you stidnam.. will look into that front conversion..

77 RA28+1GGTE = Oldskool thats way cool
    http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=38197