This post is a result of a couple of requests on another forum regarding the installation of two Japanese electronic controller units (the FIELD Sequential Controller SC-1 and the HKS Speed Limit Defencer). Two separate people had picked up one each of these units second hand and had no instructions other than a single sheet in Japanese. In both cases these units are for the 2JZGTE (Supra/Aristo JZS147).

The HKS SLD is a well-known unit that can remove the 180kph speed limit and the FIELD is a sequential controller that allows the user to alter the cut over point between the two turbos. [This is a simple description, both units may actually do more than this.]

A search around the Net resulted in finds for both units. I had to use a bit of ingenuity and guess at a couple of Japanese web menus but I got there in the end! So I thought I'd post this information here as well, TOYMODS being the repository for all things TOYOTA.

HKS SLD

The HKS SLD is available in three versions:

Type I is generally for vehicles equipped with a manual transmission,
Type II/T6 is generally for vehicles with automatic transmissions, and,
Type III

Since the Aristo has traction control you need a T6 (Part No. 4502-RT009). This is for Aristos from Oct 1991 to July 1997 with the TT 2JZGTE.

Installing your SLD

The T6 has 16 wires. It takes and manipulates signal feeds from all wheel sensors/Trac Ecu/Ecu/cruise to combat the Trac/cruise problem these things throw on some Auto Cars - the JZS147 being one such car. You will need to get access to both the ECU and the ECTS computers.

Red, Black, Green, Orange, Yellow and White connect to the ECU.
Purple, Purple/Black, Blue, Blue/Black, Pink, Pink/Black, Brown/Black, Sky Blue connect to the wheel sensor inputs
Yellow/Black and Green/White connect to TRC

Download the English instructions (13 page PDF) here:

http://supras-ireland.net/manuals/HKS_SLD_T6.pdf

FIELD SEQUENTIAL CONTROLLER SC-1

Download the manual here:

http://www.field-net.co.jp/lib/sc-1.pdf

Its in Japanese but there should be enough there to get you going. If not, you will need access to a Japanese translator.

This is what I have so far. From P2 of the manual:

You have 7 wires plus Earth (assuming the right hand wire with the connector is an Earth!)

A31 = power source (B+) - probably a red wire? (splice in but don't cut)
B27 = crank angle sensor connect to wire NE on your SC-1 (splice in but don't cut)
B39 & B40 = VSV in and out. B39 is the exhaust gas control valve and B40 is the intake air control valve. These are the two wires that you cut to splice through your SC-1. So take B39, cut it, join the end coming from the ECU to the SC-1 and the wire from the SC-1 (VSV2 IN) to the other end that comes from the loom.
B60 = VSV wastegate. Splice the PMC wire from the SC-1 into it (but don't cut it)
B62 = Turbo Pressure Sensor. Cut this wire and join the end coming from the ECU to the PIM OUT wire on your SC-1, and the end from the loom to the PIM IN on the SC-1.
B69 is ECU GND. Make sure you connect this to the ECU and not a normal bodywork EARTH. The ECU EARTH is a sensor EARTH.

I suspect the wiring diagram is in order looking down on the SC-1. You can orientate it by the black earth wire (hopefully it still has the connector on it ).

I would connect the red and black earth first, test that to see if it works, then do the others.

Use bullet connectors that are insulated for the cuts, and for the splices I usually trim away a bit of the insulation, to expose the wire, tin it with your soldering iron, tin the new wires from the SC-1 and then join up, using shrink tubing or good quality black electrical tape to insulate.

Tip: Try not to touch the sticky side of the electrical tape as it can affect its long term viability. Its not easy but do the best you can.

PS. I see from the front diagram of the SC-1 it is a unit to control the cutover point of the sequential twin turbos. The switch on the back lets you set it between NOR (Normal) and CUT (or is it OUT).

The usual disclaimers apply. I accept no responsiibilty for anything that might happen to your vehicle as a result of this information, etc etc.

If you are unsure of anything then DO NOT attempt to install. Get an expert to help you.

Cheers,

Peter