Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Positive camber struts???

Junior Member Grease Monkey 9000rpm's Avatar

Default Positive camber struts? Ones to stay away from when swapping

After spending a few hours searching old and new forums about swapping struts into KE20, KE30, KE70, AE86 Corolla's etc and TA22, RA2#, RA40, RA6# Celica's etc, ive come across a few struts having positive camber due to the king pin angle of the strut when fitted to other cars.

I want to work out which ones have the same angles.

RA23
    RA28
    RA40
    XT130
    RT132
    RT133 ...all the same angle aparently so swapping these struts shouldnt affect camber.

ST141
    RT142
    RA60
    RA65
    SA63....same struts apparently.

MA61 Using MA61 struts into the other #A6# will give positive camber issures.

MX32
    MX62

ANY info would be good!!

Matt
    Last edited by 9000rpm; 14-05-2008 at 10:55 AM.

Building Corollas Chief Engine Builder Cuzzo's Avatar

Default Re: Positive camber struts???

I thought the ra40 strut gave you positive camber aswell?
    I have one in my ke30 but it looks neutral or a little bit positive.
    KE30 4agte - Bullet - Rick Rolled
    UZX83 1UZ W58- Cruiser - Tow Car - Fun Car
    Quote Originally Posted by -GT- View Post
    You had an oil and plastics engine bay fire, with flames that reached at least to the roof - of course shit got hot, it wasn't burning jiffy firelighters back there.

Not a patch on a Backyard Mechanic

I have RT133 struts on my RA23 and I can get between half and up to nearly one degree of negative camber (but no more) when I get the wheels' aligned. My suspension set-up is stock, no adj. strut tops etc.
    Hope this info helps.
    RA23
    1G-GZE

User Conversion King

Quote Originally Posted by cuzzo
    I thought the ra40 strut gave you positive camber aswell?
    I have one in my ke30 but it looks neutral or a little bit positive.
    RA40's were fitted factory with a small amount of +camber +1deg mine had.

RA40's have the same stub axle => strut tube angle as the following;

XT130
    RA23
    RA28
    RT132
    RT133

all the above struts are interchangeable (bolt in). cant comment on TA22 compatability though. from what ive read, they the overall length of the strut is much shorter. and the strut top is different.

note that XT130 WONT give + camber on the above cars.
    hello

Junior Member Too Much Toyota RONA's Avatar

RA60 gives -2.5 degrees camber on MA61's.
    If in doubt power out

Not a patch on a Backyard Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by brett_celicacoupe
    RA40's were fitted factory with a small amount of +camber +1deg mine had.

RA40's have the same stub axle => strut tube angle as the following;

XT130
    RA23
    RA28
    RT132
    RT133

all the above struts are interchangeable (bolt in). cant comment on TA22 compatability though. from what ive read, they the overall length of the strut is much shorter. and the strut top is different.

note that XT130 WONT give + camber on the above cars.
    Brett,
    Factory setting on my stock RA23 are about a degree and a half of positive camber too.
    I have RT132 struts in there now, and I can get them set with up to nearly a degree of negative camber, currently they are set at 0'20" negative and 0'50" negative, left and right.
    Mitch.
    RA23
    1G-GZE

back into it Chief Engine Builder

um why do you want positive camber! positive camber should never ever be mentioned on a performance forum!
    unless your positive you have negative camber

User Conversion King

Quote Originally Posted by kingmick
    um why do you want positive camber! positive camber should never ever be mentioned on a performance forum!

maybe he is just trying to establish which struts to steer clear of?

thats what i would have thought
    hello

you can't say ****** here Automotive Encyclopaedia CLG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ra23celica
    I have RT133 struts on my RA23 and I can get between half and up to nearly one degree of negative camber (but no more) when I get the wheels' aligned. My suspension set-up is stock, no adj. strut tops etc.
    Hope this info helps.
    you rcar also has lowered springs which will go someway to helping with a negative camber value, but not 1 degree's worth.

For your reference, all the old style struts (ie old celica, corolla, ...) actually are factory set to give 15 minutes positive camber in their factory setup (ie original fitment), to help combat tyre wear.

Quote Originally Posted by kingmick
    I want to find out which struts not to use in the project im doing.
    There are lots of threads made on here which have some posts on which struts give positive camber and some otherposts say different things!
    I just want to put it all in one thread for all to find useful as lots of people swap struts but dont want the ones which give positive camber.

Matt

Write English! Grease Monkey GasedT18's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: Positive camber struts??? [how to avoid them]

Hi Matt,

Good work so far +rep for trying. I am finding the whole strut, hub, control arm, brakes issue really confusing from a lot of the threads I've read. There are a lot of variables so it is no wonder.

What is your project?

I'm a novice to suspension, it's a black art. I've been trying to research possible upgrades I could make to my T18 - namely in the first instance vented rotors, shorter stiffer springs and better shocks. Due to the interconnectedness of all things in the Toyota universe it doesn't appear that one can just get vented disks and say wider calipers and bolt it all up in an afternoon - I may be wrong - it is still research in progress. I wonder if the Jap release got them?

I seem to recall that the XT130 lower control arms [LCA's] are a frequent choice on TA22's, how much negative camber they give I don't know. There are apparently 3 different Sigma control arms - one of which can be used to give negative camber using XT130 struts on some models.

ChuckLandwehr has posted 11-01-2007
    LCA's for TA22, RA23/28, and RT132/XT130, are exactly the same length, the end shape "may" be different.
    What end he's referring to I've no idea - but it will be one or the other

It seems that a few forum members are prepared to drive with up to -3 deg negative camber, others say this is not streetable. Good for track racing apparently, but sounds like it would produce rapid tire wear for day to day driving. Having never driven a car with a large amount of negative camber I have no idea how it effects street level streering.

I know sweet FA about the use of camber adjustment plates and what's required of the top of the strut to suit such things but if they are easy to install it would seem they'd save a lot of mucking about and maybe cost effective.

Takai has been compiling a thread on strut & brake conversion involving coil overs. Given the variety of struts, strut diameters, length of strut, different lower and upper spring mounts/perches suited to x,y,z springs, diameter of springs, and choice of shock absorber (inserts), the relative range on shock vs spring range, I can see one at least reason why adjustable length coil overs on struts - are popular. The terminology 'coil over' seems as abused as the term 'diff'. Takai's thread can be found here - I hope it gets compiled into one legible document:

http://www.toymods.net/forums/showth...ighlight=Takai

After spending a few hours searching old and new forums about swapping struts into Corolla's and Celica's, I've come up with the following list of struts that have positive camber due to the angle of the strut when fitted to other cars....
    The choice word is 'other' cars. You don't say what your project car is or what the other cars are. I know It's hard to pin-down from searching and reading, so if other members can say what works this could become a great thread and possibly end up in the FAQ.

It would seem to me the length of the control arm is a or even the major determinant of camber. Are hub assemblies always perpendicular to the strut?

I just want to put it all in one thread for all to find useful as lots of people swap struts but dont want the ones which give positive camber.
    Cool, I'd be happy to see it as I think would a lot of other forum members. It could feature alongside the other great FAQ's on gear boxes, diffs, engine and model codes.

For some more experienced forum members and ones with an experimental outlook and a time on their hands 'throwing together' a suspension setup is 'easy', oh just get a control arm off an XXXX at a wrecker for $10. How the fuck did they find that out in the first place! When you look into it they wen't to quite some effort and made all of the mistakes that we hope to avoid. I think I'm going to spend some time at a wreckers with a measuring tape. One thing that's really pissed me off about some pick a bit places is that the vehicle ID plates are missing, grrrrr

Cheers

David

first thread re-worded lol and updated a bit

Resto Rodder Domestic Engineer GA61XX's Avatar

Hmmmm..!!!

Did you look here.. "Hilux/Peugot/Strut angles.. Questions & theory."

Also the ST141, RT142, RA60, RA65, & SA63, all use the same strut..!!
    Hence have the same strut angle..!!

cheers
    Project: '82, GA61 XX

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Gassed, i wasnt building a thread for KPIs, its specifically for the Corona Peugot Hilux combination that everyone seems to ask about at some time or other.

The other thread to look at is my LCA database, http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13452 as its all really interlinked.
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by GA61XX
    Hmmmm..!!!
    Did you look here.. "Hilux/Peugot/Strut angles.. Questions & theory."
    Also the ST141, RT142, RA60, RA65, & SA63, all use the same strut..!!
    Hence have the same strut angle..!! cheers
    Umm I hadn't seen that thread... anyway, my thread was made first!

Thanks for that info too.