Thread: 20V into AE82

ditty man Grease Monkey

Default 20V into AE82

hey.. im going to be doing a 20v conversion into a ae82. I have done two drop ins of a 20V in the ae92 i just aint done it in a 82. will it be as easy as the ae92... like all the mounts are the same, driveshafts are are the same and will hook straight into that box? I aint ever seen a 82 bay before but im asuming its the same front end pretty much

ta

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic sw20r's Avatar

Default Re: 20V into AE82

the only concern is what gearbox you plan to use?

is it a 4AG or 4ac to be converted from?

The driveshaft might be short or longer give or take. but thats pretty much it. Also with the tachometer needing a mod to be able to rev past 7200RPM. that might be needed.

Try do a friendly search and welcome to toymods!

nothin' doin Grease Monkey

ae82 conversion should be very similar to ae92. mounts are all interchangeable, wiring isn't going to be a real issue if you've done it before.

driveshafts should also fit.

i've done one conversion into ae82 already, and from memory there wasn't anything out of the ordinary that was overly difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Kelway
    i am of no speech

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

All the C-series boxes use the same engine mounts as Steve has said. The only issue is if you are converting from an auto which uses a different rear engine mount from memory.
    You dont need a tachometer mod to rev past 7200rpm, that is only in InitialD. Depending on the stock model the tacho may not be accurate in the high rpm, or simply may not go as high as needed (AE86 is off the scale at 8000rpm).
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

is damn glad to meet ya. Domestic Engineer andy's Avatar

I have got a silver 20v with the gearbox put into my twinky.

from what the mechanic told me it was basically a bolt in. only a few days after it was done did i find out that the block was rubbing the drive shaft boot, which caused grease to cover my new clean engine and cover the flex pipe which started smoking heavily. smoke = not what u want to see when u done a conversion.
    to fix that the mechanic just filed a bit off the block off to make clearance.

ive heard that some people had problems with the gearbox mounts. but mine bloted right in with no worries.

original twinky dash works with no probs, but when i hit the rev limiter its showing 7.8-8 instead of 8.2. so its abit off but i dont care.
    Last edited by andy; 27-02-2006 at 10:50 AM.
    you can do anything at http://www.zombo.com/
    the only limitation is yourself

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

Andy....
    mate i think why you have the rev limit at 7.8-8krpm is more to do with incomplete wiring, Did your mechanic wire up the SPD signal to the ecu???? if not, then you have a 7200-7600rpm limit instead of the 8200 you should have.
    I would also suggest that your mechanic hasnt used the equal length shafts from the 20V.. sounds like he used your old AE82 ones!!

AE101LEV,
    its an easy bolt-in job just like the AE92..... but there is a difference with the AE82 engine bay - there is only the "front-back" crossmember and no left-right crossmember like on the AE92. You will see when you have a look in there
    ...... butt scratcher?!

no need for a Domestic Engineer finney's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by andy
    original twinky dash works with no probs, but when i hit the rev limiter its showing 7.8-8 instead of 8.2. so its abit off but i dont care.
    I have noticed the same rev limit on my 20v and really don't see the need for those extra revs the car isn't making any more power up that high anyway.
    4AGTE SX - '4AGE' - 13.6 @ 103mph - 163fwkw @ 18psi - SOLD
    1998 JZX100 Tourer V - SOLD and now lives in radelaide
    1992 GTI - SOLD