Thread: Ceramic Coating Brake Calipers

pedro sanchez wannabee Domestic Engineer Dom-AE71's Avatar

Default Ceramic Coating Brake Calipers

This topic was raised in the 3TGTE into Corolla Panelvan thread and i thought i would bring it over here to see what peoples opinions are.

Quote Originally Posted by doityourself
    Hi all I work at Pacemaker headers and we have ceramic coating in house, we ceramic coat all kinds of car parts (funnily enough we are also trying a fry pan to see if it'll be safe for food too but thats irrelevant).

From what I understand, ceramic coating calipers is actually a good idea. You want the heat to be dissapated by the rotors, you need the heat kept out of the calipers as heat transfers to the fluid, which causes brake fade.

Thats my 2 cents.

Dale J
    So how does the heat transfer work? I take it by Ceramic Coating the calipers it means that the calipers absorb less heat. if its doing that would that then mean the brake pads would be able to cool down quicker ect? Where does the heat go then if not being absorbed by the calipers?
    Last edited by Dom-AE71; 26-02-2006 at 12:14 AM. Reason: modified title

i wrote the Automotive Encyclopaedia roadsailing's Avatar

Default Re: Ceramic Coating Brake Calipers

if you ceramic coat the calipers, then the heat can only go into the fluid, and will not be dissapated by the calipers.

if you could stop the heat going into the pistons then this might help.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

look into the friction coefficents of ceramics and metals perhaps...
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

coating the calipers will turn them into a heat 'bank' - they'll heat up (from the pistons) and not radiate heat quickly - there's no way of stopping them absorb heat as that energy comes via the pistons. I'd think it would be a retrograde step.

fwiw, racing calipers some do a few things to contrl heat coming back into the caliper:
    -seals set into the pistons and way down into the bore (downside of this is the calipers wear instead of the piston)
    -piston walls drilled-thru near the top where the push on the pads - to reduce amount of heat transferred thru the piston walls and ventilate space inside piston and back of pad
    -coating along top of piston where it pushes against pad.

A smarter & cheaper thing would be to duct air to the centre of the disks to cool the rotors.

Hopefully soon a 5S-GTE Chief Engine Builder MWP's Avatar

Agreed.
    Calipers are meant to act like heatsinks to remove heat from the brakepads.
    Coating them would be a bad idea.

pedro sanchez wannabee Domestic Engineer Dom-AE71's Avatar

Ok cool thanks guys!

what? Automotive Encyclopaedia EVOSTi's Avatar

yep also agree, thats why some calipers have cooling fins, to create more surface area to alow for better cooling.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer RobertoX's Avatar

From what I have read ceramic coating on calipers is used in different forms of motorsports.

doityourself's reasoning is correct in that it is to keep heat away from the fliud. The way it is done is to ceramic coat the side of the caliper that is in contact with the brake pad (both the caliper and the piston) and leave the other side uncoated (the side of the caliper that emmits heat).
    The side that emmits heat can also be coated with a compound that will aide heat dissipation (a sort of 'black body' coating), the same sort of coating is also used on the vanes of vented rotors.

If the brakes are fading due to pad fade then a hotter pad should be used and/or greater rotor mass and using better venting to the rotors (and by using vented rotors if they aren't already).