Thread: Replacing a Coaster's 22R with 1GGTE

Forum Sponsor Carport Converter TurboRA28's Avatar

Default Replacing a Coaster's 22R with 1GGTE

Hi all, my old man has a Toyota Coaster with a 22R in it. Its being decked out as a camper to do some extended trips.

The 22r is struggling to pull the thing around, especially as it gets weighted down with water tanks, furnature etc.

I was originally going to turbo or SC the 22r to give it some more poke.. But i'm thinking a 1ggte might be easier?

The current gearbox should bolt up with a G series bellhousing.. And I know how easy 1ggte's replace R series engines..

Any suggestions, problems etc?

Thanks
    Joel
    1977 RA28 Celica - 1MZ-FE Members Rides
    1996 FZJ80 Landcruiser.
    Email : [email protected]

User Conversion King

Default Re: Replacing a Coaster's 22R with 1GGTE

how about a 3RZFE? it might be more suited to low rev, high torque application.

this is provided you can actually fit it in, they're tall. however they are short in length.

this would also have less turbo associated complications (plumbing). its also hard to get a good nick 1g these days (bearing failure).

they come with a w5x box too. ive actually got a 3rz-w58 bellhousing if youre interested, some other bits too.

prados have front sump, hilxus have the rear sump....
    hello

Good suggestion... sump config wont metter as there isnt anything under the engine from memory.

What kinda height we looking at? or i should be searching ?
    1996 FZJ80 Landcruiser.

User Conversion King

i can take measurements if you like. tomorrow perhaps?

i paid just over a grand for my engine that was absoluetly mint inside. came with about everything i needed to run it in another car if i wanted. 1Gs are about the same price but twice the age.

they make about the same amount of torque
    http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/P...html#RZ-series
    hello

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

I have no experience of 1gs but I would guess that they are not a torque monster...especially down low

Have you thought about a VP...VR Commodore V6 and auto engine conversion..

Hey, hadn't given that much thought.. But i'm pretty open to suggestions with this project.
    Being an auto engine might be nice as coasters have some odd gear stick linkages plus the manual boxes are not the normal pattern, eg. 1st is where 2nd normally is.

With the commodore auto boxes, does the auto sick directly connect to the box, or is it electronic?
    1996 FZJ80 Landcruiser.

Village Idiot Automotive Encyclopaedia

commodore 4L60's joel need a linkage b/w the shifter and box - metal rod
    it can be made electronic though

A v6 wouldnt be too bad in a coaster (aside from it being a tired old buick motor) however they get plenty of torque at low RPM which would work well for a big heavy bus

Junior Member Domestic Engineer Pube's Avatar

Sounds like an interesting conversion. Id go for a 1ggze as you want the torque down low and dont really need a revving engine. Less complicated as there wont be an intercooler.
    SOLD : 1GGTE Rt142 Corona - Twin TD04-9b turbos - 180rwkw = 13.1 @105mph

A coaster needs a engine with cubes , I hope its on gas , If it had to be a toyota engine a 2 or 3 F , anything else is too hard to work on down the hole.
    Dave

If you go for a Commodore engine, use a VN series 2 or a VP engine and auto combination, as they have a non electronic auto and make for an easier conversion... (the lockup torque converter is electronically controlled however) The auto trans is called a Turbo (Hydra Matic) 700 R4.... The VR switched to an electronically controlled version of the same transmission called the 4L60 this would make for a more complicated conversion.... I believe that companies such as B&M make cable type shifters to suit TH700R4s...
    The first VNs are known as a Series one .. these had a different engine that can be easilly picked as the top radiator hose enters the block at the rear of the engine via a steel pipe that runs under/beside the R/H rocker cover.. you dont want this engine...

The series two engine has the top radiator hose entering the front of the engine... this is the one that you want..

The VS Commodore engine is different agian.. these can be easily picked as they have a plastic cover over the engine ... the earlier engine were naked with 3800 cast into the top of the inlet manifold..

I did know of a bloke that did quite a few 3.8 conversions into Hiace's... his customers were very happy with the job.(He passed away last year so I cant provide any detailed information..)