Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: (TA22) 2T - 2TGEU conversion (now with pics)

Village Idiot Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default Re: (TA22) 2T - 2TGEU conversion (now with pics)

great read with grouse outcome. good work!

Junior Member Grease Monkey Night Rider-TA23's Avatar

A great thread INVID, I have just started a 2TGEU conversion for a TA23 so it is a great reference source, also located in ACT.

Some questions for you, or anyone else:

1. How did you convert the old mechanical linkage to connect to the throttle body?

2. Where did you mount the ECU, I was thinking Front passenger kick panel but have not checked if the loom will reach yet?

3. Fuel pump is going to be from a VL or EB mounted low in the engine bay on the RHS adjacent to existing fuel lines, what do you think?

4. The gear box has two wires connected near the back end, is this a speed sensor pick up for the ECU ?

I love aardvarks Backyard Mechanic Invid's Avatar

Hope this helps.

1. How did you convert the old mechanical linkage to connect to the throttle body?
    A: I didn't, luckily the half cut came with a throttle cable, so it was a simple case of bending the acceleration pedal to align with the existing hole in the fire wall and connecting up the throttle. No more messy linkages.

2. Where did you mount the ECU, I was thinking Front passenger kick panel but have not checked if the loom will reach yet?
    A: the ECU was mounted under the dash. The standard Toyota ECU is pretty big so finding a good secure place to mount it was pretty hard. You may have a bit of fun trying to fit it behind the kick panel.

3. Fuel pump is going to be from a VL or EB mounted low in the engine bay on the RHS adjacent to existing fuel lines, what do you think?
    A: Umm sounds good. A tip I was given was to ask for the fuel pump from a Camira, Same part cheaper price. Not sure how true it is though.

4. The gear box has two wires connected near the back end, is this a speed sensor pick up for the ECU ?
    A: they are the reverese sensor. They tell your car to turn on the reversing lights when you put the gear stick in Reverse. These should wire into your existing loom, not into the ECU loom.
    Last edited by Invid; 06-11-2006 at 11:26 AM.
    1972 TA22 2TGZEU - Now with Z Powaaah! (Go, go Gadget Torque!)
    See pics on http://sebastianbecher.com.au - In the automotive photo gallery
    Proud supporter of the http://www.canberracelica.org

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

For the throttle cable you can adapt the cable from an RA65 Celica with the 22R-E engine. Minor modifications to the throttle pedal is required but it's not hard to do.

As for the fuel pump, EFI pumps aren't designed to suck fuel through several metres of fuel line - you need to mount it close to the fuel tank in such a way that the fuel gravity feeds from the tank to the pump. Even better, use a surge tank in conjunction with a low-pressure feed pump.

Quote Originally Posted by Invid
    Hope this helps.

A: I didn't, luckily the half cut came with a throttle cable, so it was a simple case of bending the acceleration pedal to align with the existing hole in the fire wall and connecting up the throttle. No more messy linkages.

A: the ECU was mounted under the dash. The standard Toyota ECU is pretty big so finding a good secure place to mount it was pretty hard. You may have a bit of fun trying to fit it behind the kick panel.

A: Umm sounds good. A tip I was given was to ask for the fuel pump from a Camira, Same part cheaper price. Not sure how true it is though.

A: they are the reverese sensor. They tell your car to turn on the reversing lights when you put the gear stick in Reverse. These should wire into your existing loom, not into the ECU loom.
    Thanks for the advice

Reverse lights , doh

Have sourced a new bosch efi pump $120

Quote Originally Posted by Norbie
    For the throttle cable you can adapt the cable from an RA65 Celica with the 22R-E engine. Minor modifications to the throttle pedal is required but it's not hard to do.

As for the fuel pump, EFI pumps aren't designed to suck fuel through several metres of fuel line - you need to mount it close to the fuel tank in such a way that the fuel gravity feeds from the tank to the pump. Even better, use a surge tank in conjunction with a low-pressure feed pump.
    Thanks for the tips.

Hung like planet Pluto... Backyard Mechanic Rcubed's Avatar

i used one from a cressida, which was a little long but easy to re-route.
    Agreed. mount it under the body above the rear axle. there are some mounting points there on the RHS. others have placed them in the jack storage, or in the boot with a surge tank.
    1. There's no point arguing with an idiot. They'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
    2. Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference

Junior Member Grease Monkey imlach74's Avatar

gday mate....i have just brought a ta22 like urs and im researching on the best conversions to do and costs....i was wondering if u could tell me how much it all costed...thanks

Smile Re: (TA22) 2T - 2TGEU conversion (now with pics)

Quote Originally Posted by imlach74
    gday mate....i have just brought a ta22 like urs and im researching on the best conversions to do and costs....i was wondering if u could tell me how much it all costed...thanks
    I think we were lucky, for $800 picked up a 2TGEU from an abandoned project (KE10? Corolla !!!), it had reasonable credentials for prior use in japan in a T18 with good compression, all the bits (loom ECU AFM oxy sensor etec etc) , ony bits missing were

• Slave cylinder for actuating the clutch
    • fuel pump
    • throttle cable

Have since bought a new bosch EFI pump for $120 and the slave cylinder off the current gear box will probably transfer over.

I am sure there are some air gaps we are yet to find. For the exhaust the present extractors on the 2t may not match the ports on the yamaha head on the 2TG so there may be some more exhaust work coming.

Like the start of the post says, the 2TGEU is probably the easiest conversion. We had started to price up a 4AG upgrade to start next year but the rear wheel drive vesions are hard to find , it would have been better but not worth it at 2 to 4 times the cost of the 2TG that fell into our lap. Another advantage of the 2TG is you avoid engineering rego and insurance hassles , the engine number is very similar to the present 2T so it will not raise attention when we do the paperwork for engine swap.

(you need a 4AG rear wheel drive engine because the FWD versions have the distributor mounted such that it will foul your fire wall, and fire wall mods mean engineering and rego compliance hassles)

I am sure the more exotic the engine the more difficult and costly the conversion (eg SR 20 DET!) Half cuts seem to be worth about $2.5K unless you are after something exotic.
    You could try for a 3TG, some halfcut importers list them but they had no stock when we phoned for prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Night Rider-TA23
    Another advantage of the 2TG is you avoid engineering rego and insurance hassles , the engine number is very similar to the present 2T so it will not raise attention when we do the paperwork for engine swap.
    I wouldn't say that, mine had to be sent to Dickson and have engineering papers, or they wouldn't pass it. Even though it went from a 2T to 2TGEU. I tried arguing that they were a factory standard engine, but their response was "Was this car build with the EFI engine?" they knew it wasn't as the engine numbers had changed.

Purple is the new black! Automotive Encyclopaedia sillycar chick's Avatar

I dont think you need engineering papers for that conversion, as it was a factory option. Check the rules.... I think they were bullshi**ing you....

http://www.dotars.gov.au/transport/s.../vsb_ncop.aspx

Extract from NCOP3 in that list:

Hope that helps....
    51LII - 1972 TA22 Celica | Morpheous Metallic | 4AGE 20v Silvertop | Razorback ECU | W58
    Toyota Car Club (Qld)

Quote Originally Posted by TheToyman75 View Post
    There is not much hotter than a Freshly painted Celica, Unless its the reflection of a freshly painted Celica on a freshly painted Celica

Quote Originally Posted by Invid
    I wouldn't say that, mine had to be sent to Dickson and have engineering papers, or they wouldn't pass it. Even though it went from a 2T to 2TGEU. I tried arguing that they were a factory standard engine, but their response was "Was this car build with the EFI engine?" they knew it wasn't as the engine numbers had changed.
    Invid, I am sure you are correct about requiring an inspection , I expect it to be classed as a LA1 modification.

( http://www.dotars.gov.au/transport/s...s_3Feb2006.pdf )

Did you have to use a Cat convertor or do any brake upgrades?

Quote Originally Posted by sillycar chick
    I dont think you need engineering papers for that conversion, as it was a factory option. Check the rules.... I think they were bullshi**ing you....

http://www.dotars.gov.au/transport/s.../vsb_ncop.aspx

Extract from NCOP3 in that list:

Hope that helps....
    I think that would only apply if it was a 2TG (Not a 2TGEU)

Village Idiot Automotive Encyclopaedia

agree with night rider
    i think you'll find that unless the car came with a 2TGEU (which TA22's didn't) you need an engineering certificate as the car was not ADR'd with that engine in it.
    with a 2TG no problems - as they were an option as per 4.1

Quote Originally Posted by Night Rider-TA23
    Did you have to use a Cat convertor or do any brake upgrades?
    Nah luckily didn't need to do any of those. I think the engineer knew enough about 22s and the 2TGEU to know it is almost a standard engine swap. I don't think I even had the charcoal canister on at the time for the inspection.
    Last edited by Invid; 13-11-2006 at 07:59 AM. Reason: spelling error