Thread: LSD options for 1974 TA22 Celica?

Old Skool Enthusiast Domestic Engineer GeneSPIDA's Avatar

Question LSD options for 1974 TA22 Celica?

I'm thinking about changing the diff in my 74 TA22 to LSD. Does anyone have any information on good options for this? If so, any suppliers, part numbers, etc. that may be useful in tracking something down.

Or is someone is selling something that would bolt in, let me know too.

Gene
    SPIDA - 1974 TA22 Celica (2TGEU 1600cc with Garrett GT25 320HP turbo) Dyno - 168.9HP at 10PSI, 14.8 sec quarter (so far)

TECCWA Member | Drag Run Videos

Village Idiot Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default Re: LSD options for 1974 TA22 Celica?

Gene, theres a few options here. It depends on what diff you have now in your TA22.

If its a T series diff you can get Toyota LSD's that will fit in - I got one some years ago from John Verbaan imports (yahoo motorsport i think its called) which basically goes in the T series diff and away you go.

If you have something like a D series diff you could move to a T series diff and go the above route - you'd have to get the mounts off your D diff welded to the T diff as they are different.

Or you could go a borg warner diff - LSD's readily available there - both BW and i think KAAZ also make one for the BW.

Classic Not Plastic Domestic Engineer ace's Avatar

AE86's also had a T series diff and because everyone likes dorifting in their sprintzors there would be a fairly big market for aftermarket LSD's like KAAZ or CUSCO....
    You gotta get the right type of diff tho, either Zenki or Kouki (different stages of the AE86) which fits TA22's....
    ace
    My TA22
    Quote Originally Posted by gianttomato about new cars
    Yeah sure, it goes alright and it's got air conditioning, cup holders and automatic tampon removers, but where's the charm?

......... Carport Converter jeffro ra28's Avatar

For the 1st gens u need a zenki type center. They usually are not cheap tho. your looking at aprox $1000 for a new cusco, trd or kaaz lsd.
    I was lucky enough to find one that had done 10000 kms for $500 shipped to my door.

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Since you have a turbo engine I'd strongly recommend a diff upgrade before you fork out for an LSD. The T series rear end isn't known for coping with lots of power, and an LSD is only going to increase the strain on those fragile little axles.

Something like an F series from an MS112 Crown or MX13 MkII would work nicely, and LSD centres are easily available new and second-hand. This is what I'm doing in my RA23.

Thumbs up Re: LSD options for 1974 TA22 Celica?

Thanks guys,

Some useful tips. It is a T-series diff with a T50 gearbox.

Basically, depending on price, I'd either go down the path of a cheap "slip-in" LSD to the existing diff. But if it's going to cost a bit, I might consider how the cost/benefits of putting something stronger in.

W50, 55 or 58 gear boxes seem to be pretty recommended, and if a diff upgrade suits that without me having to hack the hec out of everything, that could be an option. I'd look at factoring an LSD into such an option as it does cause some traction issues.

At the moment, I'm just seeing how the T50 gearbox goes, but it seems to be coping fine so far.
    SPIDA - 1974 TA22 Celica (2TGEU 1600cc with Garrett GT25 320HP turbo) Dyno - 168.9HP at 10PSI, 14.8 sec quarter (so far)

Forum Member Grease Monkey

hey t50s are good cheap and light im going to get a cusco 1.5 or 2 way for mine
    mitch
    74 TA22 Celica 2TG
    89.1 RWHP
    16.8@130Kmph
    1000kg Drive weight full tank,spare tire

KE25 a work in progress

Quote Originally Posted by ATOYOTA
    hey t50s are good cheap and light im going to get a cusco 1.5 or 2 way for mine
    mitch
    Cool, good to catch-up with you at the drags on Wednesday. Hope you had fun.

Let me know if you do it, and how much it costs.

Gene

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

fwiw: Cool1 got hilux diff and attached a pair of modified MA70 rear brake mounting hardware to get big brakes along with a bigger diff. His is going behind a 3sgte so it's very much over-engineered.