Thread: 3582R rear housings

Professional Amateur Grease Monkey sil80 1J's Avatar

Default 3582R rear housings

just wondering if a turbo nut can give me some close to true facts about using a 3582R turbo on a 1j...
    what are the differneces between the .63 and the .82 rear housing...
    im running 264 and 272 cams with gears and all support components for big numbers...
    just dont know if the .82 is that much of a better option for 500 to 600 hp
    Sil80 1JZ chasing 400rwkw
    Update: 4/5 the way there on 21 PSI, 350.3rwkw
    http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...L801copy-1.jpg

Forum Sponsor Conversion King

Default Re: 3582R rear housings

without sitting here and writing an essay about it the only answer i could give is use a .82 or larger.
    the reason i say that is why would you make the engine breathe better with largish cams and a big turbo only to restrict exhaust flow by using a small exhaust housing like a .63?

if your chasing 400rwkw i wouldn't use anything smaller than a .82 and would probly end up choosing a 1.06 just to make sure it can get the topend numbers you require.

cheers
    linden
    Quote Originally Posted by WHITCHY
    Prefer someone around the Sydney area but will travel a few hours for a good box!

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

What he said. From what I've seen the 1JZ's don't make good power with the .63 housing, nice and responsive but no top end.

Quote Originally Posted by The Real Roadrunner
    without sitting here and writing an essay about it the only answer i could give is use a .82 or larger.
    the reason i say that is why would you make the engine breathe better with largish cams and a big turbo only to restrict exhaust flow by using a small exhaust housing like a .63?

if your chasing 400rwkw i wouldn't use anything smaller than a .82 and would probly end up choosing a 1.06 just to make sure it can get the topend numbers you require.

cheers
    linden
    thanks for the info mate, the reason i was thinking .63 is i want the response and the 400kw mark is a max if im lucky rather than a solid figure im chasing, but reading some of your other posts it seems there is very little difference in response between the 2 considering ive got large cams and gears...
    cheers mate

andrew's seamed to make more midrange with the .82 than it did with the .63 and that was with stock cams.
    its up to you at the end of the day but considering your'e going with cams bigger than 265s then i would push for a 1.06 and just learn to drive it accordingly.

if you were just running 256's then i would grab a .82 and be happy with 320-350rwkw with a fairly conservative tune.

cheers
    linden
    Prefer someone around the Sydney area but will travel a few hours for a good box!

I make people cry Chief Engine Builder Draven's Avatar

define what you mean by responsiveness. going for 600hp out of a 2.5 with pretty fat cams means your low end is not really going to be there anyways.

my 2j vvti with gt35 1.06 comes on *strong* around 3500 (starts earlier, but that's where it really hits)
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=7465
    Quote Originally Posted by xero View Post
    and of course campbell newman's completely fucking everything he touches so badly that he should be called dick fingers.

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

i have tried both the 106 and the .63 on my vvti 1jz(standard cams)
    i loved the .63 over the 106 because
    the .63 came in so much earlier at 3600 rpm and still made good power. the 106 came in at 4400rpm
    i have a c4 auto with a 5000 stall and even with the high stall the 106 was way too lagy
    the .63 only has about 2-3 seconds lag (rather than 5)
    and with the .63 still made 466rwhp and ran 11.14
    have a watch and see
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb8ZcUUPYtM

what do you classify as lag? ive driven draven's car and provided you know how to drive there is 0 lag as soon as you pick the next cog its on boost.

if your saying the boost threshold is too high then thats a different story as that may be true but once again you learn to drive around this and all is good.

did you try a .82 housing or did you just go for the smallest housing you could get?

cheers
    linden

yeah your right you can learn to drive a car with lag. with the 106 i foud it ok when i was cruising i could just drop it back a gear and have instant power but with an auto transmission (c4)leaving the line or taking off at the lights can be demorilising when your mate flogs you in his stock v6 comadore. because it takes you 5 seconds to spool the thing up. and when you do the race is over
    im just saying the . 63 housing made my car much much nicer to drive
    compared to the 106
    didnt try the .82

so basically your converter isn't slipping enough low down to let it get to the boost threshold quick enough?
    i can see your point if that is the case but that has more to do with the converter being incorrect rather than the housing,
    i don't have access to the dyno anymore so i can't get the graphs but the difference between the .82 and the .63 was buggerall in the 3000-4000rpm region but it was heaps different after that with the .82 being stronger everywhere.

cheers
    linden

AVGAS DRINKING Carport Converter 30psi 4agte's Avatar

from reading your posts it sounds like you are after a compromise betwenn the .63 and the 1.06...

Sound like the 3 little bears to me

Mabe the .82 will be just right..

FWIW..... i was using the .82 on my 4a and it was a bit tooooooo laggy for my liking so i have swapped to the .63... I havent driven it with the .63 yet so cant comment but suffice to say on a 2.5l id be giving the .82 ago...

Quote Originally Posted by 30psi 4agte
    from reading your posts it sounds like you are after a compromise betwenn the .63 and the 1.06...

Sound like the 3 little bears to me

Mabe the .82 will be just right..

FWIW..... i was using the .82 on my 4a and it was a bit tooooooo laggy for my liking so i have swapped to the .63... I havent driven it with the .63 yet so cant comment but suffice to say on a 2.5l id be giving the .82 ago...
    thanks champ, i think thats the way im going to head....
    cheers

[QUOTE=The Real Roadrunner]so basically your converter isn't slipping enough low down to let it get to the boost threshold quick enough?
    i can see your point if that is the case but that has more to do with the converter being incorrect rather than the housing, ]

yeah my convertor is an 8" tce wich cost $1300. its already my second convertor(first one was a 9") and there too expensive to play with too much. when i brought it the guy at tce rated it to 6500 stall (full lock up) depending on how much power you make. he estimated that it would probably stall at 4800 with my 466 hp he was close. your exactly right when you say it isnt slippin enough low down. ive since upgraded to 3.0L bottom end and that fixed that problem(more off boost torque to flare the convertor). i am now running the 106 now. with even quicker spool up times and its on full boost at 3500rpm im even think of up sizing the turbo to maybe a to4z or gt42 with small housings but i dont know much a about the gt 42 yet

my 35r is now out of puff at 28psi( ithink) it only made 8 hp gain at 32psi)
    at 32psi it now makes 502rwhp
    cheers allan