Thread: YR22 Tarago engine conversion?

Forum Member

Question YR22 Tarago engine conversion?

Hi guys i'm new to this forum i'm from Geraldton WA .

My ride is a YR22 tarago 1985 which i use to go to work and also to carry around my passion which is large RC model aircraft.

My question is i need some help in deciding what engine to replace my tired old 3y with.
    I was thinking about a ecotec v6 and auto tranny out of a vt commodore i hear they fit in a hiace. Or possibly a OHC 4cyl out of a late model hilux 2wd ute maybe with a turbo, Any suggestions would be helpfull the bottom line is i want a lot more power than the old 3y.

Thanks Clive Great forum

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Default Re: YR22 Tarago engine conversion?

You're pretty limited with space, especially height. Hiace is much bigger so what fits in them won't necessarily fit in a Tarago. Anything OHC is likely to be issues.

Maybe look into a 4Y-E, it's almost plug-and-play and apparently has a lot more go than the 3Y.
    Last edited by Norbie; 01-04-2008 at 07:58 PM.

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

Pretty sure my engineer is putting a 3.8 commo motor into one of these (I think its the YR22 model).

But looking at the level of work he's put into it, I'd much rather look at a different engine!
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

User Conversion King

3S-FE or 3SGTE?

people were fitting 3SGTE's to YR22 tarago bellhousings on supra box's so that might mean it could bolt straight up

cheap, clean, smooth engine.

it would probably be about as big as the old engine
    hello

See above re height. The Y series engines are OHV and quite short, but they just fit under the seats in a Tarago. I suspect a 3S would be a good deal taller and have no chance of fitting without a lot of work.

User Conversion King

might be better off with a 13BT then
    hello

Forum Member

Question Re: YR22 Tarago engine conversion?

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

What about a 2RZ or 3RZ they come out in hiaces don't they? Or am i wrong about that i'm new to the toyota engine prefixes, found some info on wikapedia Would these fit in ? I don't realy want to put a rotary i'm told they make good hp but drink fuel pretty ravenessly.
    There is about 5 inches between the top of the tappet cover and the engine cover.

If i have to modify the engine hatch between the seats thats not a problem as i have done a fair bit of fabrication work, about 5 years ago i built a shelby cobra replica from the ground up on a toyota crown chassis with a 5 litre injected ford windsor went great to! however Kids came along and she had to go.
    Thanks Clive
    Last edited by clive; 02-04-2008 at 04:52 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CrUZida
    Pretty sure my engineer is putting a 3.8 commo motor into one of these (I think its the YR22 model).

But looking at the level of work he's put into it, I'd much rather look at a different engine!
    Hi Cruzida could you possibly find out some info on the conversion that your engineer is doing on the tarago eg. what year commodore the motor came out of and maybe some photos would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Clive

Quote Originally Posted by clive
    If i have to modify the engine hatch between the seats thats not a problem as i have done a fair bit of fabrication work,
    If you don't mind doing fab work the world is your oyster. A 3RZ would probably go quite nicely in a Tarago, they're actually not very heavy.

Forum Member

Hi from GERO W.A

So guys does that mean that my 5speed g53 box on the 3y would bolt up to the 3S-FE and if i went with the 3RZ what gbox and bell housing would i have to use for that

So guys does that mean that my 5speed g53 box on the 3y would bolt up to the 3S-FE
    Yes, with minor modifications.
    and if i went with the 3RZ what gbox and bell housing would i have to use for that
    I believe RZ series engines used an R15x box. Not sure if there are any other engines a compatible bellhousing bolt pattern.

User Conversion King

Quote Originally Posted by Norbie
    Yes, with minor modifications.

I believe RZ series engines used an R15x box. Not sure if there are any other engines a compatible bellhousing bolt pattern.
    the 3RZ was fitted to a W56 in the hilux and prado - i have one of these bellhousings for sale, PM me if interested.

i have confirmed the late model 2.7 vvti hilux engined (2TR-FE) bellhousing has the same pattern as the 3RZ - it runs a R151. which is the bellhousing im using with a R154 and a 32mm spacer.

If you don't mind doing fab work the world is your oyster. A 3RZ would probably go quite nicely in a Tarago, they're actually not very heavy.
    See above re height. The Y series engines are OHV and quite short, but they just fit under the seats in a Tarago. I suspect a 3S would be a good deal taller and have no chance of fitting without a lot of work.

ever looked at a 3rz? they're fucking tall

even taller then a 2jz (86 vs 95mm stroke!) so you may as well fit the 2jay
    hello

Quote Originally Posted by brett_celicacoupe
    ever looked at a 3rz? they're fucking tall
    Yep, but that's not a problem if you don't mind hacking up the engine cover for extra clearance.