Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Altezza 6 speed to 4AGE??

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Altezza 6 speed to 4AGE??

Hey guys

Just wondering if any of you have the experience of fitting the Altezza 6 speed behind a
    4AGE??
    I have picked up a 6 speed off an altezza, and once heard that you can have it fitted behind a 4AG, and line up in an AE86. Only changing the bel housing and the rear housing.

Has any one heard of this?
    Or someone was just bullshitting me??

THanks guys

Hopefully soon a 5S-GTE Chief Engine Builder MWP's Avatar

Default Re: Altezza 6 speed to 4AGE??

I thought the bellhousings were integrated?

Current UZA80 owner Chief Engine Builder JustCallMeOrlando's Avatar

Correct, they come with a bellhousing to suit either an S or a G series engine, and it's integrated. With a bit of ingenuity and work, it can be made to fit anything, but that is the case with most things
    Teh UZA80 - Project Century - Remotely p00'd by association

So what you guys are saying is that there are no way I can fit that gearbox into a sprinter without BASHING the tunnel?

Car Butcher Carport Converter WDE_BDY's Avatar

No, what they are saying is it won't bolt up to your 4A without a fair bit of work as the bellhousing pattern is wrong.

Callum

Current UZA80 owner Chief Engine Builder JustCallMeOrlando's Avatar

Exactly what Callum said. There is no removable bellhousing on it so you can bolt it to a 4A.
    Teh UZA80 - Project Century - Remotely p00'd by association

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic gixer's Avatar

I have fitted an MX5 6 speed to my 4age (better ratio spread) but the gear box is made by the same people and many internal parts are interchangable with the Altezza one, I made up a custom adaptor plate to bolt the gearbox to the motor, and had to use an RX8 extension housing to move the gearlever forward, a custom rear crossmember had to also be made as in an MX5 they use the Power Plant Frame to locate the rear of the gearbox to the diff. What I like about it is I have nice close ratios BUT with a first gear I don't have to slip the clutch with, like a conventional style close ratio box (due to first gear normally being taller!) the ratios are 3.73, 2.265, 1.645, 1.254, 1.00, 0.843 as you can see 2-6 work nice with a turbo 4AGE.

The old One Backyard Mechanic

Gidday

Everything that has been said above is correct buuuut Yes you can fit the 6 speed to a 4age - it is fairly easy to make an adaptor plate. Do a search of the old forum for last year and Charles Landwehr (Chuck) provided a fairly detailed description of how he made the adapter plate for his. From my recollection it did not seem to be real difficult.

Craig

Junior Member Domestic Engineer

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.p...t=0#msg_799349

I thought about copying and pasting this info into this thread for prosperity's sake but i thought i might be stepping on chuck's toes.
    Chuck if you are listening paste the contents into this forum so Panda_Tureno86 can rep you.

Forum Member Grease Monkey

Quote Originally Posted by JustCallMeFrank
    Correct, they come with a bellhousing to suit either an S or a G series engine, and it's integrated. With a bit of ingenuity and work, it can be made to fit anything, but that is the case with most things
    So what you are saying is that If I could get ahold of the transmission I could just bolt it onto the back of a 1GGTE?

Ashe

For Toyota there are at least 2 versions of this type of 6 speed. One fits S series engines and the other fits G and T series engines. And yes to the back of the negine they are a direct bolt in. But as with most things there is more to it than that!

This has been covered a lot in the past. I have copied the following out of a 2004 post in the old forum. For a bit more information go to the old forum and do a search on ddeane.

"Just done one. Remember there is direct bolt up and direct bolt up. There are a number of things that you would have to aware of. They are not difficult to overcome if you are handy and have budgetted some extra $.

You will need a is200 gearbox mount.
    The gearbox cross member will need to be modified/fabricated as the mount is some 100 or so mm further back and is at a different height.
    The clutch slave cylinder is on the lhs so you will have to make a new tube.
    The 'bellhousing' on the lhs, just behind where the starter motor bulge finishes is a little fuller and you will have to massage the tunnel a little ( about 10mm) Its not a large area and easy to do.
    And the hardest thing is that the gear lever comes out a lot further back and you will have do some work to enlarge the hole, fill the old hole and constuct something for the gearlever cover to attach to. AND modify the consol.

Oh and I forgot the tailshaft will have to be modified, firstly to have a larger yoke fitted as the j160 has the same yoke as a w58 not the smaller t50 yoke AND the tailshaft may need to be shortened by 20mm. A RT104 (Corona) tailshaft would be a good starting point, as the yoke would be correct and it would only have to be shortened the 20mm.

Always concerns me when someone says something is a bolt up - 'cos if you are not a little handy this is not all simple. For example I have seen 350 chevs in Corollas, doesn't make it a simple 'bolt in'. So please be careful when you offer advise/opinion. I had the motor/gearbox in/out 3 time to check things out. Depending on what you can do yourself what I have outlined will cost a fair bit. IE the gearbox mount is $140 trade. Tailshaft will cost you $25 or so but as much as $180 to have shortened. Gearbox cross member won't cost much to do youself but may be a bit if you have to get someone else to do it. Same for the changes to where the gearlever comes out as it is nessary to fabricate quite a bit."

I have this geabox in a TA23 behind a 1ggteu putting out over 200rwkw and the match seems perfect. Chuck is putting the 6 speed behind a 4agt in a TA22 - should be great to see the outcome as his past efforts have been great - ie 1jzgte in a RA23.

Hope this helps Craig

Hummm..... reading all these....
    basically I have a 6 speed thats not going to help me out with my 4A engine.

DAMN !!

Whoa!

I thought that Chuck has clearly explained how to mate a 6 speed to a 4ag. The cost of making the adaptor plate and the level of difficulty is very low. A real easy conversion. If you have the box or easy access I would certainly recommend u give it a go.

Cheers Craig

Quote Originally Posted by gixer
    I have fitted an MX5 6 speed to my 4age
    How does the MX box compare size and weight wise to the T50 (assuming thats what you had)?

Cheers,
    Julian.

Estranged Member Chief Engine Builder mullett's Avatar

Just a thought...but this is a fairly rare and expensive box, sought after because it makes the 3SG(T)E an easy install to the sprinter? If this is the case, i'd sell it and make some money, or even better put a 3S into the sprinter, since you already have the hardest part sorted...

RM.