Thread: sw20 turbo brake upgrade

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default sw20 turbo brake upgrade

as the title suggests i have been pondering this question for a while now, i know the sorarer/ lexus has the same stud patteren, and similar hub assembly, from what i know. and i am thinking that would be the best way to go? If not what is the best way to go? what needs to be fabricated for the calipers to fit?
    ~MR2 GT with a big arse turbo + a 3sgte built tonka tuff = lota Fun~

Former User Conversion King Joshstix's Avatar

Default Re: sw20 turbo brake upgrade

Seeing that your car is an early SW20, the Gen3 setup would be the best value for money upgrade. It has significantly larger disks all round.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

thanks Josh, i know of this convesion but was after something a bit bigger, i know the gen3 or 93+ are far better from what i have read on mr2oc, but thought maybe the lexus would be better. The faster it stops the better.
    ~MR2 GT with a big arse turbo + a 3sgte built tonka tuff = lota Fun~

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice tai_180sx's Avatar

you can basically use any brake setup you want as long as you don't mind some modifying.
    i.e buy brand new blank dba rotors and redrill them to suit your stud pattern. you can use whatever calipers you want as long as you are willing to pay an engineer to make up caliper spacers to either change the stud pattern on teh caliper or space the caliper out in order to suit the larger rotor.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic sw20r's Avatar

I'd go with JZA80 supra brakes :d

or there's a set of twin pot brembo's floating around for 1k. includes front and rear disc, both front and rear calipers of a 2002 ITR JDM

Selling front 4 piston Brembo calipers from a Japanese spec DC5 Type-R Integra. Seals are perfect and are in full working order. Also included in the sale are brake pads and front discs measuing 300x25mm discs, 5x114.3 stud pattern. A 28mm thick disc will also fit within the calipers without any problems. complete Type-R rear brakes (calipers, brackets, pads and discs) are also included

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

the caliper mounting pattern is unique to MR2's as far as I know. we race one with the gen 3 brakes--no hassles provided you have the best pads. If you still want to upgrade, it will be custom work all round. The Nissan , Honda etc 4 piston calipers dont bolt up and you need to make adaptors. The disc rotors are the simple part.n The new National modification rules will make it almost impossible for amateures to do this on road registered cars. Unless you take the ENTIRE braking system from another ADR approved vehicle, super detailed engineering design & calculations are needed. I do this sort of stuff for a living. hope this helps.