Thread: 1G-GTE oil filter

cresta chump. Backyard Mechanic

Default 1G-GTE oil filter

Hi, I'm kinda a newb at this whole thing
    I've gotta GX81 Cresta, and I'm doing my first full oil change of the ownership, and I've got the oil and the oil filter all ready, and I'm good to go with the whole oil change thing, but the oil filter...I've found where it is, just can't *see* it, or see how I'm going to a. get access to it to get it off, or b. get the new one on there.
    So, a. how bad is it to just change the oil and not the filter, and worry about it in 2,000km when I'm home (I'm about to drive from the GC to Melbourne, I've been staying on the GC for the past coupla months) and I'm sure I can sort something out once I get to Melbourne. and b. how does everyone with the 1G get at their oil filter?

wire jiggler supreme Backyard Mechanic celicapain's Avatar

Default Re: 1G-GTE oil filter

There is not much point just changing the oil and leaving the filter, it means that your nice clean oil all will be full of crap within bugger all time and while its better than nothing, I personally wouldn't do it. When i change the filter in the celica(1g'd) i go in from the bottom in front of the cross member- ive got two gas converters that ive got to work around and the intercooler piping so it not easy, but it can be done without pulling anything off.
    just get under the car with an appropriate tool(theres a thread for it around somewhere) and get stuck in- youll get it and once youve done it the first time you will know for the future.
    GA23(never finished-now with cracked block ) JZX83 (Tyre eater) 3sgte AE86. by now i should know better.

---------HO00NS---------- Chief Engine Builder IN 05 NT's Avatar

you can just change the oil, and not the filter, its common for ppl to change the oil evry 5k and the filter evry 10k (filter life is 10k)

but there so cheap, just change it

jack the front of the car up high, and reach up from under the car, you may also be able to rech down from the top, it sits under the intake mani.

cresta chump. Backyard Mechanic

I'm not worrying about the cost, more about if I can't get it off as I'm driving down to Melbourne on the weekend, and definitely up for an oil change.
    I'm going to try and get up at it like you guys suggest, and if not, is there anyone around the Runaway Bay area of the Gold Coast that would be willing to help me get it off and the new one on for a six pack of your favourite beer or something?
    I'm going to try and get it off and the new one on anyway tomorrow, I'll let everyone know how it goes

Don't Trust Me I'm A Backyard Mechanic Jabtronic's Avatar

Hey dude, i just did an oil change on my 1G last weekend... was too much hassle using the proper tool (couldn't be bothered getting it lol) I found it easier to hammer a screwdriver into the filter from underneath and crack it loose then undo it by hand.

Junior Member Grease Monkey chaserbuddy's Avatar

hey,
    if u don't want it to get messy. i suggest getting piece of rope and putting a slip knot in it, and loop it around the oil filter, pull the slip knot tight and wrap the rope around it again (anticlockwise). then u just pull. Only try this if u can get the filter. done it on a few cars myself works well
    cheers

Don't Trust Me I'm A Backyard Mechanic Jabtronic's Avatar

Never heard of that setup before, that's the method we used to use to start our race kart when it's up on a stand.. wrap the rope around the tyre (without the knot) and pull it to start the engine.

Anyway how'd you go?