Thread: 2 Way LSD Hilux G series?

Forum Member

Default 2 Way LSD Hilux G series?

Hi guys I'm new round here and going to fit a Hilux axle to my AE86, I know people have done it over your side of the world but in England I don't know anyone who has done it before.

I am not worried about the actual fitting of the axle to the car but would like to know if anyone has fitted a 2 way LSD to one TRD, Kaaz what ever?. I have a G series axle from a Hilux Surf with a clutch type LSD. I know from searching a torsen from a JZA70 could fit but but would an open diff from an MA70 Supra go straight in?.

I'm asking becasue these aftermarket LSD companys list a different diff for torsen or open but you have to change the output shafts when you fit the torsen replacement to a Supra and I'm not sure why I would guess its the length of the shafts anyone know for sure?.

So what I need to know is do I order a torsen or open diff replacement for the best fit into my axle?

Thanks
    Jay

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice SLO-055's Avatar

Default Re: 2 Way LSD Hilux G series?

most common form of lsd i've seen fit to hilux rear end converted ae86s is a 'lokka' which when i got one went for about 700 aus and i picked it up from my local 4WD store, obviously because i was after parts for a 4WD part so to speak.
    think of it as a detroit locker style thing, very aggressive.
    insert witty post here, to allow people to see how funny and intelligent i am, and how much they would like to be like me.

Forum Member

Am I right in thinking that a lokka acts as an open diff untill you apply power then its locked solid? will slight throttle lock it or does it have to be full blast? I've never realy looked into them before.
    I could use one of these but how do you guys find the perform? do they lock / unlock at strange times mid corner ? how do they feel compered to a 2 way diff which I have been using for the past couple of years?.

Thanks
    Jay

Insert whitty comment her Automotive Encyclopaedia blacktop's Avatar

I think the only times you will have problems with a locker diff is if there on steer wheels, like the front diff of a 4wd.

With the amount of force you will be putting on the diff i would think it shouldn't be a problem, unless you like compression lock ups then full throttle, this could flick you a little harder that you think.

Personally i would just get the LSD you have rebuilt and stick with that, unless its a race car or something? there isn't really a need to go to extreme unless its dedicated track car.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

it wouldn't hurt to just put in some stiffer springs into the lsd. or shim them with some washers. i bought a detroit " lock-rite " and put it in my F100. best thing i ever did. assoon as i apply power, the back wheels are locked together. it can be a bit clunky at times. at low speed/low throttle it unlocks and drives like a stocker.
    so much stuff. so little time.

I wouldn't trust a... Conversion King Smokey228's Avatar

I dont some research into the Lokka diffs, infact there is a thread on here somewhere. This is only a month or so back, so shouldnt be to hard to find...

Most people seemed to think that they were good options, cheap and tough. But were a bit noisy and would lock with very little throttle. There was somenoe who said, to get used to it, they would clutch in when turning... All the time...
    I have decided to put stiffer springs + washers into my LSD to get it nice and tight...

Cheers<
    Jase
    JZA023
    11.51 @ 126MPH | 430RWHP @ 21PSI

Quote Originally Posted by YLD-16L
    Cuzzo is such a premature ejaculator he fertilised the very egg that he grew from