Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! How to remove 7mgte from MA70 ?

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Help! How to remove 7mgte from MA70 ?

I need help. I'm trying to remove the 7mgte from my manual 1990 ma70 turbo and i'm having alot of trouble separating the motor from the transmission (which i think is an R154?). I've followed a repair manual to remove the whats required (radiator, engine mounts, vacuum hoses and pipes, disconnect fuel & exhaust, move the p/s and a/c out of the way, and remove bolts between the the bellhousing and block. There is now about a 5mm gap between the bellhousing & block but thats as far as i can move things.

So, how do i disengage the spline/output shaft ffrom the transmission?

For what its worth, the car is on chassis stands & the transmission is also supported on its own stands. The engine is supported on a crane... Any help would be gold

I wouldn't trust a... Conversion King Smokey228's Avatar

Default Re: Help! How to remove 7mgte from MA70 ?

Have you undone all the mounts on the gearbox? It may give you slightly more movement to get it off? Also, have you tried a crowbar between engine and bellhousing?

They can sometimes be a bit of work to get off...

Ensure you have undone all bolts and the startmotor is definetly well out of the way...

Also, remove the oil from the box, or make sure that tail shaft is well in place, otherwise you'll make plenty of mess

Also, be wary of the shifter, it is in the cabin too, and alot of movement on the gearbox end of things may damage your console...

Oh and that reminds me, you might like to try leaving it in neutral, i havent known of this to make a difference, but it may

Anyway, thats the few things i'd check before removing the box...

Cheers,
    Jase
    JZA023
    11.51 @ 126MPH | 430RWHP @ 21PSI

Quote Originally Posted by YLD-16L
    Cuzzo is such a premature ejaculator he fertilised the very egg that he grew from

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

A crowbar , flamin dont come near any of my cars, not the smartest advice to give someone .
    You have to remove the inspection covers around the bottem of the bellhousing and undo the pressure plate bolts and let the pressure plate stay with the G/box, then it will come off.
    Dave

I succesfully removed my r154 from my 1jz without removing the pressure plate from the flywheel... A few times over too...

And with any other gearbox, ive used the same technique. Its not like i sit their working the shit out of it with the crowbar/pry bar, but i work it off from different angles until i am able to get the input shaft away from the clutch assembly...

Cheers,
    Jase
    JZA023

Cuzzo is such a premature ejaculator he fertilised the very egg that he grew from

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

doesn't this (removing or not removing the pressure plate bolts) depend on the type of clutch? (pull clutch versus push clutch)
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

I have never known that before. Im not sure, but i've had the same type of clutch with every gearbox, until this r154, cause it has a convertor for my twin plate.
    But i never looked at it very close, so im not sure what it was, or what it changed it to...

+rep if you can teach me more

Cheers,
    Jase
    JZA023

Thanks for the tips. I'm reluctant to loosen the gearbox mounts if its gonna make a mess cos its not my garage! But i can check what gearbox it says on the compliance plate and then work out the pressure plate bizzo

If its a factory MA70 with the factory clutch you wont get it apart without doing the pressure plate first . most twin plate clutches are normal push type so normal wiggle wiggle and there off.
    Dave

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

So if its a standard clutch wouldnt that mean its a push type clutch - pull tyupe clutches the throw out bearing actually locates and looks its self into the pressure plate there fore in order to get it off you have to undo the pressure plate, with the motor as far away from the box possible is there a even gap all the way round, is there any movement where you clutch fork comes out of the box, its not like your sump anything is hitting on the cross member causing nil movement, being un farmiliar with a 7m setup these are only thoughts and ideas

No standard 7MGTE is a pull clutch . Do a search its been covered a few times before.
    Dave

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

Pull the gbox out with the motor. Much easier.
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

30DET... The only way. Carport Converter Kyosho's Avatar

removed the starter motor?
    My Dead Supra...
    Quote Originally Posted by ReQuieM in the A70 Thread
    There is some serious talent in this thread for linking anything to fuckin gay sex. Its extraordinary.

Yes the starter motor is out. Yes i've tried using a crow bar without success. Sump is clear of the cross-member. I'd prefer not to take the gearbox & engine out as one piece because i can't afford to make any mess, and the clearance between the front of the car and the roof of the garage probably wont be enough.

I've had a look at the mk3 TSRM for some help and it looks like there's access panel on the bell housing to get at the pressure plate. However, it recommends turning each bolt one turn at a time, which means you'd be there all day loosening one bolt & turning the engine, loosening the next bolt & turning the engine...

Anyway i'll have another crack at it hopefully this weekend, thx all

Junior Member Carport Converter Dale's Avatar

r154 has a pull type clutch, you need to remove the clutch fork to allow the input shaft to slide away from the pressure plate assembly

remove the inspection plate on the slave cylinder side, remove slave cylinder, pull clutch fork out

this should work to pull the motor away from the gearbox, so long as the motor stays level as it's sliding away from the pressure plate, else undo the pressure plate from the flywheel - you don't have to undo each bolt one turn at a time, there's two inspection plates on a r154 undo each two opposite each other at a time, won't take long at all
    I am the sun

Thanks Dale - i got the inspection plates off and the clutch release fork is in sight (as are the other bolts you mentioned). Like you said, it looks like its a matter of removing the slave cyl, remove the e-clip on the fork, and hopefully thats it...

Knowing my luck i'll break the e-clip too, ha