Thread: gt35r 1jzgte to gt35r 2jzGE............. Flame away lol

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default gt35r 1jzgte to gt35r 2jzGE............. Flame away lol

Hey guys,

Please read my post fully before flaming me

I am currently considering a N/A to turbo 2jz conversion. I currently have a gt35r equipt mx83 with r154 and all the supporting mods required to keep it in good condition.

I managed to stumble across a mint 2jzge, I have never seen an engine in such mint internal condition (looks wise). Now I have always wanted a gt35r 3 litre for years due to the fantastic boost response. So the 2jzge was bought and a 1.5jz was in the works, however I really don't like the idea of pulling a mint 2jzge motor apart. Not to mention the "claimed" better flowing head.

What I would like to do is just use the whole 2jz motor in my car but keep the compression high for even better boost response and torque.. I figure it shouldnt be too hard as my 1jz runs a ems stinger ecu with aftermarket coils. I am hoping that the coil setup can be run on the GE motor with a blank plate over the distributer hole and use my current 1jz CAS/Harmonic Balancer/Oil pump setup. Obviously I would need to manufacture a plenum in order to keep my front facing pipework from the 1jz. Can anyone see any other issues from the external side of things? I will manufacture an exhaust manifold to suit as well.

But then the is the internals.... Most people convert from N/a to turbo when they already have a 2jzge in the car and cost vs power(for 200kw take or give). Due to already having the above listed parts - I figure there is no reason not to do the swap until you get to the good old debate of compression ratio... The line I am thinking along is that due to the big fuel system/engine management I have, will I be able to run enough boost (say 17psi) to make use of my gt35r? I am not afraid to spend money however the benefits of a high comp engine(in an ideal world) are quite obvious. Then again, would the N/A motor be able to bring the efficiency of the turbo down to a lower psi (due to the extra emissions from the high comp engine at an earlier rpm) therefore allowing me to run less boost to begin with to make the same power? I am aiming for 300kw... My last question is to do with cams... Can I run aftermarket gte cams in the ge?

Let the flaming begin

you can't say ****** here Automotive Encyclopaedia CLG's Avatar

Default Re: gt35r 1jzgte to gt35r 2jzGE............. Flame away lol

I see no reason to flame, I quite like your proposal?! There is certainly a step towards higher compression turbo engines of late, something Toyota has been doing for a while particularly with the JZ range. I see no issue with turboing the 2JZGE with it's standard compression ratio, given your ability to control both boost and fuel. As for the "better flowing head" - when the internet community can decide on which head flows better and provide proof, then I'll listen - the only thing I will say is:

I recently pulled two inlet manifolds apart - one from a 1JZGE (no not a typo - a naturally aspirated 1JZ), and a 2JZGE. The inlet runners on the 1JZGE were nothing to write home about at 45mm. The 2JZGE runners were however found to be 53mm - putting mathmatics aside for the sake of a simple argument - I'd certainly be starting with that setup if I was chasing 300kw!

Thanks, I appreciate your support. There are so many bloody na+t threads that I was a bit hesitant about posting. However because its a no money spared project to see just how far the N/A motor can be pushed - I decided to post anyhow hahaha. The transition between the old and new school 1jz turbo motors included a higher comp ratio

I'm hoping to stumble across someone who has already tried to pump a lot of KW out of a NA motor... For instance, is there any real reason why I cant use the NA waterpump ( I use thermos in my car)...

Id love to use the stock Na oil pump but I'm doubting its ability to keep up the flow, not to mention the lack of a CAS.

Cheers Dan.
    Last edited by 1jzDan; 11-03-2008 at 08:13 PM.

Junior Member Grease Monkey toymaz's Avatar

Hey there
    Roccos performance have a non turbo 2 jz in their old rx7, it runs methenol so no intercooler, a gt45 turbo and don't even lift the cam covers and they run easy 8 sec passes. They did kill at least 1 but engine ,but at $1000 import motor,its cheap power.

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

I like the idea of a high-compression turbo engine, and it sounds like you're across all the issues you'll run into with this conversion. I don't know if you'll get the most out of your GT35 with pump fuel and 10:1 compression, but a lot of the NA-T boys use thicker headgaskets with good success. Dropping the compression to say 9.5:1 wouldn't be a big deal and would give you some extra headroom. Otherwise you could look into options like water injection, which seems to be working well in Justen's GT8 (also 10:1 compression).
    Quote Originally Posted by 1jzDan
    My last question is to do with cams... Can I run aftermarket gte cams in the ge?
    The reason you can't normally use GTE cams is they lack the drive gear for the distributor, but since you're ditching that you don't need to worry about it. I think I read somewhere that some machining is required (different size cam journals?) but can't recall specifics. I'm sure one of the NA 2JZ gurus like GiantTomato will have more info.
    is there any real reason why I cant use the NA waterpump
    Actually you don't have a choice, the GTE water pump doesn't fit in the GE engines.

I got mine for $450 - bargian It was that car that gave me the confidence that I might well be able to build something streetable

Oh and another question.. With higher compression, you can run bigger than usual cams for more top end with lesser loss of low end power?? I think? if so, what size should I go?

Ohh haha, I knew you would save the day Norbie Yeah I had a feeling the na pump was different.

Cheers

anti blasphemy ! Carport Converter

next door threw a turbo on a n/a 2jz with basic mods (injectors, piggy back and fmic) and that produced good number's over 330hp at 6psi. It wasnt a massive turbo either like gt30 size
    i dont have a funny or cool signature.

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

With higher compression, you can run bigger than usual cams for more top end with lesser loss of low end power?? I think? if so, what size should I go?
    Cams with lots of overlap will reduce the engine's effective compression, so go all the way with a set of HKS 272's! This will also help you get the most out of your turbo without having to crank the boost sky-high. I have 272's in my 2JZ and I'm very happy with them so far.

Now that is exactly what I wanted to hear!! Lumpy idle ftw hahaha

Its doesn't matter how hard it goes - as long as it sounds tough lol

I Have a new question

With the injectors, is the N/A and turbo injectors interchangable on the 2jz(or even with my current 650cc 1jzgte ones??).. Just trying to suss out if ill need any aftermarket fuel rail parts etc, but really hoping I can make use of the 1jz ones

Cheers dudes!

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

99% sure GE is topfeed where as GTE is side feed.

Not sure if you can change the whole rail though.
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

Non qualified Domestic Engineer

If people can run 10+psi thru a 10.8:1 LS2 with their bigger bore and not as good a combustion chamber design, I'd reckon you'd be on a winner. Keep thuning safe and it should last ages.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas
    except for a very few exceptions
    "Don't worry what people think, they don't do it very often."

Daily: Glorified Taxi (F6 Typhoon). Out Of Action: Twin-charged Adub. Ongoing Nightmare: Over re-engineered (not) Alfa Romeo 75.