Thread: Corolla ae92 4afe, weird behaviour, help needed

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Corolla ae92 4afe, weird behaviour, help needed

Hi

This car has me really confused, i have changed the oxygen sensor.the vacuum meter/lamps keeps switching between green and yellow when the car is idling, i have checked for vacum leaks, but i cant find any leaks. the car revs ok up to a certain rpm, then it keeps burping and spitting and revs very slowly and painful up to the higher revs.It also make a weird gurgling sound out from the airfilterbox, and something it seems like its shooting thru the air intake.

the strange thing is if i take of the airfilter/box, and hold my hand infront of the air intake, it runs as normal. as far as i can see every vacum stuff and other things is connected to the airfilter box, and everything seems to be normal there.

another strange thing is when i turn ingnition on, a relay of some sort keep making clicking noises for a few seconds, very fast click click clicks then it stops, this one is located on the throtthlebody, on oposite end of the air intake, and it has some vacum hoses attached to it. what exactly does this do? and can this be causing my problems?

the ignition is set at 10 degress, same as it states in the car manual, so i assume this is correct.

anyone have any clue what makes the car behave like this? im really lost on options now, and only thing i can think of is any of the vacum hoses is put on the wrong place, or some kinda sensor is wrong.

also the headlight, dashlights, even the light horn is all dead, i assume its a relay for this somewhere, but does anyone know where it might be located? or a fuse somewhere? i have checked all the fuseboxes in the engine room, and the one behind the driverside kick panel, and nothing there is broke.

Im really lost and im about to find a slegde and just smash it to pieces, so i really hope some of u can have a suggestion to what this problem might be.

im really really greatfull for all the tips and suggestion to what is wrong with this car

the car is a 1992 ae92 with 4afe

Thanks in advance for ur help

Default Re: Corolla ae92 4afe, weird behaviour, help needed

Update

I now found out if i turn the dizzy all the way clockwise, not sure if thats retarding or advancing, but then the car revs and runs fine, cept very ruff idling, but this is very far off from the correct timing, so its something else thats wrong.

This makes me think the problem has to do with something thats supposed to adjust the ignition, i dont know how that works on this car, is it vacum related or is it electrical?

what is supposed to adjust the ignotion when u give it throttle? sensors, relays or what?

i hope someone has some suggestion on this issue.

Thanks in advance

Oh i forgot, is it possible to do any self diagnostic on the diagnose plug on this car without any special tools? if so how?

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic KARNAGE's Avatar

have you checked the actual timing with a timing gun? and turning it clockwise you were retarding if i am looking at it correctly. try bleeding the cooling system and double check the vacuum lines