Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: engineering??? and registration of engine q's

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia SillyCarS's Avatar

Default Re: engineering???

Quote Originally Posted by Darrien
    not neccessary expensive.
    I got my engineer cert. for $165, other got $130 for a report.
    my a cressida with 1jz, brake and wheels upgraded.

thats pretty lucky then, it must be because it all bolts together nicely and power to weight ratios being ok for the state laws?

i mean, considering how much engineers are being paid to do one tenth of fuck all in the mining industry for minor consulting you got off very lightly

i can see having my car engineered is going to be at least $1500 to $2000, for a 1g, diff, brakes and a half cage

Junior Member Domestic Engineer dfunkt's Avatar

Default Re: engineering??? and registration of engine q's

Quote Originally Posted by skep
    sorry fail what? the engineering? or the engine registration?
    an un-enclosed air filter will fail a RWC.
    Owner of the Big Red Whale

Quote Originally Posted by Stomps
    "i cant eat this because its too spicy" "i cant eat that because it has green stuff in it" "i cant eat that because its chilli soup with Blair's Ultra Death Sauce in it"... winge winge winge...

Burke's Backyard Mechanic S T A R 3 3's Avatar

yeah i had a problem with that in my Skyline. The airbox was replaced with a pod.. although Ive known a few guys who they have actually been let go with it. I guess it all depends on the PMS levels of the guys at the pits.
    .. I swear I'll keep this car for longer than 12 months.

is a semi-motivated Domestic Engineer 1JZ~lux's Avatar

All the states I've lived in (QLD, NSW, VIC) have all been the same as far as filters are concerned. No matter what type it is, it is meant to be enclosed. There is rumors that if the pod filter has mesh over it like the HKS ones then they are legal but I'm pretty sure this is false. In saying this, my Lux had an exposed HKS pod fitted at the time of it's QLD engineer inspection.

The first port of call should always be here, The Australian Design Rules. Then your states codes of practice or whatever it's called (what mods your state will allow). If there is anything in doubt, ask an Authorised engineer in your state.
    Petrol is for washing parts, alcohol's for drinking but NITRO IS FOR RACING!
    My pictures, Returning some time in the distant future.
    RN85 Hilux + 1JZ-GTE = 298.0HP @ 14PSI -- 60' 1.956 ET 13.775 MPH 99.49
    Project Korruption - Stage 1: The Resto. KE35 Corolla Hardtop daily driver

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

cool

thanks for the info guys.

what about if i run my silvertop on a blacktop ecu and run open quads... then what???
    -skep-
    ae101 seca rv...
    under the knife for a major heart transplant

is a semi-motivated Domestic Engineer 1JZ~lux's Avatar

On this I don't know. My Lux had a PowerFC from the time of it's conversion/engineering but I haven't looked up what codes are on my mod plate. I would say that it would need engineering as it changes the emissions and power output of the vehicle. The open quads I'm not sure exactly what they are. Are you talking about just quad throttle bodies? This would be another uncertainty. I'd call a couple of engineers about these. I say a couple because you will get different answers from all.
    Petrol is for washing parts, alcohol's for drinking but NITRO IS FOR RACING!
    My pictures, Returning some time in the distant future.
    RN85 Hilux + 1JZ-GTE = 298.0HP @ 14PSI -- 60' 1.956 ET 13.775 MPH 99.49
    Project Korruption - Stage 1: The Resto. KE35 Corolla Hardtop daily driver

is firing on all eight. Carport Converter AndyTTR's Avatar

Technically you will need an engineering certificate for this swap in Victoria. Your car won't pass a roadworthy without one. This is because:

- The engine was not an option on the Australian delivered AE101.
    - The engine is imported and, therefore it has to pass the equivalent Australian emission standards for the year your car was built.
    - It will (more than likely) make more than 10% more power than the original motor.
    - 0.2L reduction in engine capacity (I think this may even be an instant fail, even with an engineering certificate - I know that you weren't allowed to put a 4.0 engine into a Falcon that originally came with a 5.0 V8 for example).

I found out all this when I did the Gen 3 conversion in the Celica.

Anyway, a few years ago I decided to go down to Vicroads and play the ignorance card ("What do you mean I need an engineering certificate?"). The woman came out and inspected the engine number, because it was originally 3S0000### and was now 3S49230### she passed it and changed my registration details which made it all nice and legal. Even my insurance company didn't look twice when I eventually wrote that car off.

So I got away with it, despite technically needing an engineering certificate. The way I see it, its their own fault that I got through the net - if they want to enforce these laws they should be getting trained people to do these inspections.

But not all Vicroads people are so lax, a mate of mine had a hard time getting his GX Impreza with a swapped WRX motor past them because the engine number went from EJ20####### to EJ20T#######. Luckily whoever the inspector asked for advice was also unqualified because they told her to pass it anyway!

I'm not sure if they're still so relaxed about it given all the attention that 'hoons in hotted up cars' have been getting recently.... its probably a lot harder these days. Because you'll be going from a 7A####### to a 4A####### I think you'll be less likely to get through.... unless you convince them that its a 4AFE but that may open another can of worms.

In regards to the engineering side of things I recommend that before you put money down on an engine go visit an engineer. Offer to pay for half an hour of his time and then ask all the questions about the legalities and requirements BEFORE you spend a lot of money on something that you might not even be able to register.

Hope this helps?

Backyard Fabricator Automotive Encyclopaedia

Yep, it does require engineering in Victoria, for the same reasons that an AE92 4agze installed in an aus delivered AE92 also requires engineering in Victoria. The hardest part is getting the emissions info for the engine to satisfy the engineer. PM Interia for more info on the hassels he faced with his engineering and emissions with factory ECU.

Traditionalist Domestic Engineer parrot's Avatar

So who told you you didn't need engineering?

http://www.toymods.net/forums/showth...ering+victoria

the Afterbirth Tycoon Automotive Encyclopaedia PlacentaJuan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dfunkt
    any air filter needs to be in an enclosed box. if it's just the pod on the end of the air intake, it'll fail.

not in sa

as long as the filter is secured it doesnt need to be enclosed

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

thanks guys for you info, but im a little confused, i know that the 20v came stock in the ae101 fx gt version of mine and i have been told by matt (fastfoo on here) that i can get away with it as its a smaller engine and the reason for change is for fuel economy.

so i really dont know what to do :S
    -skep-
    ae101 seca rv...
    under the knife for a major heart transplant

Traditionalist Domestic Engineer parrot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skep
    I know that the 20v came stock in the ae101 fx gt version of mine

Maybe it did, but not in Victoria and that is the end of the story.

Rest in Peace Conversion King ViPeR_NiPPleX's Avatar

you need to talk to an engineer, get emissions data for that engine, and get it passed. Shouldn't be hard if everything is standard, using stock mounts, etc.

This does need an engineers cert.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Correct it does need a engineers cert but if theres no 20 valves under any import approvals in vic you are going to have to supply the engineer a emissions test as well . Say a 2JZ for example because these are allowed to be imported and complied by the govenment through the various schemes , engineers accept that emisions are legal.
    Dave