Thread: 3T-C Turbo engine

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Default 3T-C Turbo engine

after 2 years messing around with my current 3T-C turbo, finally i have it a metal to pedal driving last weekend. i should say very dissapointed of what it can do. it just don't feel like want to GO, feels a bit better than NA only. i've make sure everything is in perfect conditions. at the moment it is boosting 14psi but the power just not there.any ideas to make it runs like how a turbo engine should be? here are the combinations of my 3T-C turbo.
    CT26A (stock wastegate port welded shut and run an HKS external wastegate)
    3T-C Block, Head and crank
    2JZ-GTE pistons mated to 3T con-rod
    Double valve springs
    Stock Camshaft
    450cc fuel injectors
    SARD fuel pressure regulator
    MS-II configured as Fuel only computer
    Toyota electronic ignition running 12BTDC static timing.
    W55 gearbox
    3.9 Rear end

any input is welcome so guys, help me out.

help neede

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic ONCE-NA's Avatar

Default Re: 3T-C Turbo engine

If you could run the MegaSquirt? with ignition control, you could certainly improve throttle response and turbo spool up with more ignition advance, and mayby more power up top with a bit more advance than 12deg.

yeah thats a good input. i agree with the ignition control but by how much and at what range it should be? before this, i've tried 15 BTDC static timing, it does pull more better than now. but i'm worried i'll blow my engine with that, so i step back to 12BTDC. one question, how can running higher advance can improves the turbo spooling?
    btw, my engine has very low compression(not sure the exact). the top of the piston does not protrude above the block deck height, it just flat with the block deck height. is that mean i can run more timing advance?
    Last edited by CHB; 18-02-2008 at 08:15 PM.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic ONCE-NA's Avatar

Ideally you should get it on a dyno, I'm no expert but my 3T-GTE was running 15 deg at idle but you could go 20deg even to be smoother but higher idle speed if you have problems getting it down. Up to 32 deg under load before the turbo starts to spool and taper the timing back to maybe 15 deg as it comes on boost. All helps it come on a bit quicker

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

you've got the MS computer already, so spark control shouldn't be a big step.

you really want (for a low compression engine) a lot of idle advance, even more advance on high vacuum, timing increasing with rpm until you hit 100kpa at which time you start pulling it back.

I've got a spreadsheet that i used to help estimate my initial timing curve PM me an email address and i'll send it over, plus this thread on msextra is useful reading.

You wont find a curve to suit a specific car, but there's discussion about how to come up with your own.

fwiw: this timing curve

is what i was running until recently (pulling some timing out to lower engine temps a bit on hot days).

cheers,
    Charles.
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

thanks for the input. i'll try to get my MS II running with ignition control by this weekend. hopefully will improve the response.. cheers!

Chookhouse Chooning Automotive Encyclopaedia Hen's Avatar

Following from Chucksters suggestions, do you know the compression ratio of the engine? Changing pistons could have dropped it super low.

If you are making good boost (14psi sounds good) and not making power then I'd suspect it's running VERY rich or ignition isn't advanced enough.

Hen

Come to think of it, have you double checked everything like cam timing, etc...?
    I need a working 4AGE bottom end. Pref smallport GZE, but all others considered. Also complete motors.
    Drift Volvo. Was fun. 2JZ next time.

cam still stock cam and no adjustable pulley, so i'm sure its properly dialed in.

Bull now in china shop! Domestic Engineer NME308's Avatar

Feed that bitch some timing man!!!
    If your head isnt shaved heavily and your telling us the block isnt decked then you could have as low as 6.6:1 compression.
    You could really benefit from a Crane Cams tr2 6000-6446 timing retard module and map sensor (MSD have one but about $200 dearer...). Give that puppy about 40deg initial timing and the timing retard module pulls it back out at up to 3 degrees per lb of boost. You can get them HERE among other places.

How do you start it in the morning - give the harmonic balance a quick flick with 2 fingers???

Cheers

P.S. I just re-read the 1st post and noticed the stock cam
    Youve got springs in there already why not jam in a Crower 61853... PERFECT!

Option 2: How much do you want for it?
    Last edited by NME308; 24-02-2008 at 03:27 AM.

yeah it has stock cam in it. i can start it without any problem in the morning. i think there is no need for the Crane cam's as i can retard the timing on the MS2.