Thread: mr2 wont start

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic KARNAGE's Avatar

Default mr2 wont start

ok i have tried everything i can think of. i have changed the head gaskit, thermostat, water temp sensor, spark plugs, new battery and the car wont start. the engine tries to but does not seam like its getting a spark. i have double checked the timing and made sure the igniton timing is correct to my knowledge. anyone have any ideas? the reason y i dont think its getting a spark is because i put brand new platinum iridiums in and after a few cranks of the engine no start when i checked the plugs there a little bit more fuel on the spark plug than usual.

Fuel Economy Warrior Carport Converter Vios-GT_07's Avatar

Default Re: mr2 wont start

take out spark plug, connect it to the plug-wire, rest the spark plug on top of engine, and start... then u'll be able to see if there is spark or not (with one head out of car and looking into engine-bay, and one hand on the key to start

spark = coil, ignitor, distributor, ECU..
    Research has shown child in front seat causes accidents, accident in back seat causes child

its weird as i never had a problem with the engine starting ie spark before the head gaskit blew. i will give that a go tomorrow hopefully its something simple

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Quote Originally Posted by KARNAGE
    the engine tries to....
    Does this mean it backfires thru the intake or exhaust, spits & coughs?

Ignition and/or cam timing.

ok i finally got around to the car and finally got the car started it idols alright but if you give it a big rev when the revs drop down to normal it almost stalls but than after 5 seconds it sorts itself out does anyone have an idea what the hell its doing?

broken down ex guru Chief Engine Builder feral4mr2's Avatar

have you checked for vacum leaks? loose hose clamps from the AFM to TB etc....

make sure the distributor is installed correctly with the static timing at TDC. this is a easy one to stuff up when installing the distributor, make sure you visualy check that the rotor is pointing at where #1 is on the dist cap.

then next time you have it idleing ok, let it warm up and check the timing in the correct procedure before you give it a big rev.

Ok have checked distributor and ignition timing and it is all good even double checked the bastard. the engine idols ok but my mate said something about the wax pot under the throttle body is whats adjusting the throttle to make it jump sorry but i dont have any idea what to look for there. I can drive it but when you put the foot down it hesitates slightly before accelerating, i have a timing light to check the igniton timing tonight. correct me if i am wrong but it should be set on 10 degrees advanced?

busy adding lightness Too Much Toyota MR22ZZ's Avatar

10 with the service line shorted. 16 I think without.
    Past Toyotas - Snow White (TA23), Blue Stivo (ZZE123)
    Current Toyotas - Hamster (AW11)
    Quote Originally Posted by X kyle X View Post
    the aw11 is rougher and more angular so it's sex Appel is more that of Sylvester stalone rather then brad pitt

righto thanks for that i will have a go with setting that tonight and hopefully that fixes my problems.

broken down ex guru Chief Engine Builder feral4mr2's Avatar

the engine idols ok but my mate said something about the wax pot under the throttle body is whats adjusting the throttle to make it jump sorry but i dont have any idea what to look for there.
    if your idle is jumping, there is most probably air in your coolant (seeing you would of had to refill it after the HG change). i find it best to reverse the car up on ramps, then bleed the radiator, heater matrix and thermastat housing.
    http://gb.detonated.org/mr2coolant/

this should help you with the timing
    http://www.padandwheels.com/mr2/timing/timing.html

Yeah i when i had it up on the ramps i bled the system by putting a nylon hose on the heater under the bonnet and waited until the air got up to the hight of the engine and then did the same with the radiator.

ok i set the timing she was a bit out and that fixed alot of the problems. i bleed the system and it was fine until i turned it off and started it again. i found that just near the water pump when i turned the car off let out some air and a bit of coolent. now its not the water pump weep holes as its brand new and also the o rings are new just wondering if anyone would know of anything else around there that could be leaking?