Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: 60's Crown engine conversion - any suggestions?

****yas Grease Monkey

Default Re: 60's Crown engine conversion - any suggestions?

well you cant deny the fact that the install of a carby motor - regardless of whether its chev or ford or even a 3k for all it matters - is a lot simpler in many regards. with a 7m you would need to start off with replacing fuel lines and get a decent pump. once you start modifying the motor you'll eventually need an aftermarket ecu which can be exxy. wiring up is unoubtedly more difficult, its not just connecting those 5 wires and off you go right? im sure you had problems wiring the dash and getting the speedo to work properly and so forth as opposed to getting a mechanical speedo cable made up for $70. i've had problems wiring my 4agte up and it shat me up the wall for a number of reasons. a lot of jap or technologically advanced motors have small problems that are harder to diagnose, especially if you dont have the right diagnostic tools and auto sparkies are expensive if you cant do it yourself.

i know there are a lot of things that i havent mentioned, but what im trying to surmise is that they dont have a lot of complications because they are simplistic. and thats ok with me cos less to go wrong = happier me.

the bigger is better concept is not totally wrong either - you can get good power out of them and they have been built so many times by so many people that if you do your research, you can find an abundance of affordable, readily available parts that get good gains. crate motors from pavtek are reasonably priced with good power and you can get a lot of things like completely reworked alloy heads which do save a bit of weight.

and to be completely honest, if there is some bloke in an s2000 next to me at the traffic lights while im sitting there with a chev that has a massive solid cam - i dont really care that his car is more efficient and makes more horse power per litre, i have a big fucken grin on my face that you get when you open the secondaries and dump $5 worth of fuel down the throat of 5.7 litres of fun that will pin you back in your seat as soon as you touch the pedal.

they are some of the reasons why i like big dirty inefficient loud old school motors. plus, 7m's dont really match my flanno haha

Yep they look great Carport Converter gianttomato's Avatar

It was all pretty straight forward actually - speedo took one question on these forums and 10 minutes spanner time to sort out. The car hasn't missed a beat in 3 years. All I do is change the oil.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

*pulls up a chair*

haha... I'd be inclined to look at the first post on this order...

I'm not looking to break a new speed record, I'm just looking to have a newer engine installed that's got abit more oomph! and lifespan.
    not sure a carby chev motor would make those requirements.

And as for the price of 7M's... 600 big ones got us a 7MGTE, spare MHG, auto box, full wiring loom, ecu, ancillaries etc, and even the damn intercooler

Burke's Backyard Mechanic S T A R 3 3's Avatar

hahah
    I am still learning and am soaking this all in..! SO please.. as you were...
    .. I swear I'll keep this car for longer than 12 months.

One of my moms friends knows of a 2002 Camry Ateva engine that is lying around in her son's workshop.. not too sure why it had been replaced.. but assuming that the engine was in perfect condish and that the reason they removed it was to .. I dunno.. put a Chev engine in the Ateva , would it be a straight forward conversion into the Crown? Just like the 1UZ etc...

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

No FWD engine is a 'straight forward' conversion into a RWD car.
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

Toymods Vice President Chief Engine Builder TheToyman75's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by S T A R 3 3
    One of my moms friends knows of a 2002 Camry Ateva engine that is lying around in her son's workshop.. not too sure why it had been replaced.. but assuming that the engine was in perfect condish and that the reason they removed it was to .. I dunno.. put a Chev engine in the Ateva , would it be a straight forward conversion into the Crown? Just like the 1UZ etc...
    Hearing the term, "a Straight forward conversion" tends to worry me. Its all relative, For some people anything more than an oil change is a struggle while for others a complete engine rebuild and gearbox overhaul is done just for fun on a weekend.

If your mechanically minded and good on the tools then anything is possible, if its needs to be a "Straight forward", ie kinda bolts in, conversion then I suggest you stick with engine from the M series so you have a realistic chance of completing it.

If your up for the challenge then a JZ conversion is not a bad place to start.
    1971 2T-B Celica TA22 ST.
    1973 2T-G Celica TA22, aka "The Unicorn".
    1975 2T-G Celica TA27 GT
    1976 2T-G Celica TA23, aka "The Colonel".
    1985 3F Auto FJ62 Landcruiser
    1989 7M-GTE MA70 Supra, aka "The Poopra"

History: Rods Classic Celica Sampler thread.

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

The Camry engine (1MZ?) would be kinda awesome but as above you'll have a tough time converting it to RWD. For starters you'll need to find an appropriate sump and bellhousing, and then you'll probably need modified/custom manifolds since they point in the wrong direction. It's a big job and not really worth it when other modern sixes (eg 2JZ-GE) go in so much easier.

Riight.. ok so obviously I totally forgot about the whole RWD/FWD, but what I think I meant to say was if there was any compatible (RWD) engine available would it be a matter of mounting it, connecting hoses, wires, welding, screwing.. tying.. hitting that thing with a hammer.. then closing the hood? Or is there more to it than that? Custom parts etc..?

My car is currently at my mechanics having it looked at and seeing what work needs to be done and seeing whether or not I should go ahead with a conversion or maintain what it has.

Yep they look great Carport Converter gianttomato's Avatar

Do the bare minimum required to get it on the road. Keep the 2M well maintained and it should provide you with years of good service. If you hate doing points, fit a 5M pointless dizzy. I would give the cooling system a big overhaul straight up and fit a bigger recored radiator. I used a Corona Mk2 MX13 radiator in mine - you just need to cut a little of the radiator support panel away and drill two new holes - or you could use one of the bling aluminium radiators that are for sale here (JAR). As I see it, this is not wasted money - it serves as preventative maintenace for your 2M and will provide better cooling for your future upgrade.

Once on the road, you can decide what you want to do. You can start to collect bits for your conversion (eg disc brakes, booster), motor, ECU, etc.

Suffice to say, I looked at the 1MZ option (your mate's Camry motor) and bailed out on it. It would need sump mods, mods to block so you could fit a starter motor, an adaptor plate to mate it to a gearbox and whole host of smaller mods to make it all work. Not insurmountable, but definately not a "straightforward" conversion. Because of the 60 degree V, you can avoid a rack and pinion conversion.

A simpler conversion (but still not straightforward) would be a 3.4 litre Prado motor. At least these came in RWD format, a simple (although exxy) gearbox option is available, and all you need to do with regard to the sump is fit a Camry sump and give it a few well placed strikes with a hammer for clearance.

If you want a death trap, then just fit a VVTi single turbo 1JZGTE. But, as with all JZ motors, you'll need to hard to find sump.

I think the best options are 7MGE, 7MGTE or 2JZGE. Anything else will start to get overly complicated and exxy.

We still don't really have an idea of your level of expertise or planned budget. I'd hate to see you start out on a project, get in way over your head (or that of whoever is doing the conversion) and then have to scrap the car.
    Last edited by gianttomato; 27-02-2008 at 12:58 PM.

Excellent!

Yeah this is definitely a plan for the future.. hopefully by the end of the year I would have atleast started to collect parts, if not already started. I'd hate to have the car half done and in several pieces on the on the ground

With information that I've so far gathered a 2JZGE seems to be the more appealing option for me. In regards to the budget, I'll do more investigation to get a round-a-bout figure.. but should be sweet if my dad wants in on it.

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

have a good long chat to Stitt matey.... he'll be able to give heaps of advice on what to do with the old crown

Then become friends with heaps of guys at the CCG, and somehow wing them into helping you with the conversion when you get ready to do it.....

Mr GiantTomatohead is right, try not to go in too over your head, we would really hate to see you give up on the car midway through.
    ...... butt scratcher?!

Junior Member Conversion King TheStitt's Avatar

thanks for nominating me

though seriously drop me a pm and we'll catch up

or even come around and have a look at my MS53 and look at it, its "a straight forward swap"
    ST177 UZS131 Crown Royal 'G' the pimping limo like daily 1UZFE 144rwkw

DST17T MS53 68 Crown Custom Wagon 7MGTE 266rwkw

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

common now stitty... we all know you could talk classic crowns to anyone, anytime and at great length
    ...... butt scratcher?!

Yeah would definitely like to see your crown..... ....... toyota crown, that is.