Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 60's Crown engine conversion - any suggestions?

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Default Re: 60's Crown engine conversion - any suggestions?

It's getting very hard to find a 5M/6M in good condition these days, and rebuilds are not cheap. I agree with Stitt, something like a 2JZ-GE would be much better for many reasons. 1UZ would be good also but a lot more effort for the reasons outlined by GiantTomato.

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

i hope all goes well with the purchase of the new crown mate!!

I will also HEAVILY recommend that you go down to the CCG (canberra celica group) meeting and have a chat to Stitt. He has been playing with crowns almost as long as he's been playing with himself

By the sounds of it, you arent hugely experienced with engine conversions, so you are definitely going to want someone like Stitt and the other CCG boys to give you a hand - which is what this whole Toymods community is about!!

A 2JZ-GE engine will probably be the go, as you will really only need some custom made engine mounts and an EFI fuel system installed, on top of all the other usual things. It really is a gun motor for a straight six, probably one of the best mass produced straight sixes available - and at such a good price too!!

A 1UZ-FE will require a fair bit more work as gianttomato said - but will also provide a lot more poke and an awesome V8 sound... maybe look at this for the next crown

In any case - head down to the CCG meet. You'll be glad if you do.
    ...... butt scratcher?!

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

A 2JZ-GE would be much better than a 5M or 6M but what people dont realise is to find the mid sump to suit a JZ for the crown is rare as rockinghorse shit , also lots and lots more time than a M engine .
    Dave

Yep they look great Carport Converter gianttomato's Avatar

I agree. 2JZGE still isn't quite a walk in the park. You'll need the rare as rocking horse shit sump and then fit a box that is capable of handling the 2JZ torque - the little 3 speed will have a coniption. The auto is just a little too big for the tunnel and a W58 box will probably put the the shifter right up against the bench seat. You could use a G52 (or similar) box but you'd really want to do something about the uber low first gear and you'd have to rig up something funky with regard to the linkages up the column.

Burke's Backyard Mechanic S T A R 3 3's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Witzl
    i hope all goes well with the purchase of the new crown mate!!

I will also HEAVILY recommend that you go down to the CCG (canberra celica group) meeting and have a chat to Stitt. He has been playing with crowns almost as long as he's been playing with himself

By the sounds of it, you arent hugely experienced with engine conversions, so you are definitely going to want someone like Stitt and the other CCG boys to give you a hand - which is what this whole Toymods community is about!!

A 2JZ-GE engine will probably be the go, as you will really only need some custom made engine mounts and an EFI fuel system installed, on top of all the other usual things. It really is a gun motor for a straight six, probably one of the best mass produced straight sixes available - and at such a good price too!!

A 1UZ-FE will require a fair bit more work as gianttomato said - but will also provide a lot more poke and an awesome V8 sound... maybe look at this for the next crown

In any case - head down to the CCG meet. You'll be glad if you do.

Yeah I'Il definitely be at future meetings, I'd like to be there tonight aswell, but hopefully, I'll be in the process of getting the car. I need alot of advice and more info so thats more than enough incentive.. and who would turn down the wig and pen?!

I guess looking at the info that people have given me, both engines have thier pros and cons. I would LOVE the sound of the V8, yet the 2JZ seems abit more value for money? I'd have to speak with my mechanic on what the best option is. Whether it be a full conversion of maintaining what it has.. he seemed to like the idea of keeping original, but anything can happen!

I have a couple of mates involved with LI (low intentions) and they've only suggested 1 thing, "bag it".
    .. I swear I'll keep this car for longer than 12 months.

Junior Member Conversion King TheStitt's Avatar

haha I meet a few of the boys from Low intentions while i had my hilux.

A few people are saying the same thing to me for my wagon.

As for enigines for so hastle easy going a 4M/5M carbie. For a bit more poke maybe a 7M

2JZ would be good but getting the true Crown sump will cost $$$$

1UZ would sound tuff but is hard as well.

I'll catch up with you sometime. I'd like to see the thing in the flesh
    ST177 UZS131 Crown Royal 'G' the pimping limo like daily 1UZFE 144rwkw

DST17T MS53 68 Crown Custom Wagon 7MGTE 266rwkw

Yeah if all goes to plan tomorrow, I'll be looking forward to meting up with anyone involved in the whole Toyota scene.

OHHHH RRIIIGGHHHHT! I got the car!! I post some pics tomorrow after a bathe the beast.

****yas Grease Monkey

chev it haha
    cheap parts and easy to build
    easier conversion too in terms of wiring/tuning etc
    sure i'll get alot of disagreement but it'd be way cooler too haha

Cooler? How so? Chevs are like the skidmark on last week's well worn underwear. They're big, heavy and to actually get one that has decent power, you have to get spendy. Might have been the rage in the 60's, but really, we're a bit more advanced now. Besides the starter motor is on the RHS - hits on steering box. And who could be fucked having to buy an AF set to work on a truck motor? Metric system rules mate.

Contrast that to a 7MGTE - same price as a clapped out Chev. Spend $20 on a bleed valve and suddenly you're 100 hp in front.

Yeah. Chevs are cool.

****yas Grease Monkey

you dont need to get spendy at all. a chev with a small cam, manifold and ~600cfm 4bbl is great fun to drive and will make good power. parts are plentyful and very reasonably priced. i've driven near stock 7m's and frankly they're no where near as fun to drive.
    you can whinge and moan about old school push rod rubbish all you want. yes toyo motors are hardy and good bang for buck but at the endd of the day driving a chev puts a way bigger smile on my face. tunable with a screwdriver and you dont have to be a genius to wire one up. sounds 10 times better too.
    but you are right though, if this car is gonna be driven often it'd be not so great to drive. steering, fuel consumption and legal stuff is just the start of your worries.

anywho just an oppinion no need to get your panties in a twist.

You're entitled to your opinion, no matter how wrong it is.

Yeah I've heard the sound of Chevy's and they sound pretty mean and very 'manly'.. hahah.. my uncle is a massive fan of them and is telling me that he knows people that could find ne for me. and he even started looking through names in hs phone book! Crazy.

But, I'd like to stay Toyota!

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by caibs
    you dont need to get spendy at all. a chev with a small cam, manifold and ~600cfm 4bbl is great fun to drive and will make good power.
    Sounds more spendy than a $20 bleed valve.

I concur with GT. Chev engines have their place (eg Chev cars) but we're no longer limited to 60's technology when it comes to making cheap reliable power. And I've seen any number of old-school V8's at street meets running high 14's with similar mods to the above; you really do need to spend quite a bit of coin to make those old engines perform any better. Sure you can get them into the 10's with bits out of a catalog, but you better have deep pockets!

That's fine but if you go Chev, just remember the starter motor will want to share the same real estate as the steering box. There may be bellhousings that shift the starter to the passenger side, but you know, it's all added expense.