Thread: MR2 e153 Lsd tranny linkages compared to Camry E153

VZ engine series FTW! Grease Monkey Timma's Avatar

Default MR2 e153 Lsd tranny linkages compared to Camry E153

Mr2 e153 Lsd Tranny

Camry e153 Tranny

As you can see the linkages are on the opposite side from each other. Now I need to know what would have to be do to reverse them on the Mr2 so they are facing the same way as the camry e153. I cannot figure out in my mind how a adaption could be made to the mr2 linkages for fwd. You can also see that part, is part of the transcase itself. Am I having a noob moment where I cannot visualise it.
    vzv21 camry 2vzfe v6 - aka mr burble or white one

Hide Yo Kids Hide Yo Wife Carport Converter hamgatan's Avatar

Default Re: MR2 e153 Lsd tranny linkages compared to Camry E153

i think Jaemus did this when he put the 3VZ in the MR2... (i think he used the camry box, not the MR2 one..) you might want to pm him for help...
    B7 2005.5 Audi A4 2.0TFSI Quattro Turbo Keepin' My Pimp Hand Strong
    GDB 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX Stock and Unmolested!
    JZZ20 1988 Soarer GT Twin Turbo
    1JZ-GTE + R154 + LSD | Black Knight Still being Assembled
    JZX90 1993 Mark II Tourer V 1JZ-GTE + A340E | 270rwhp
    Z20Soarer.Org - The definitive resource for all xZ20 Owners.

Toymods Club Member Too Much Toyota TooF's Avatar

your other option is to run custom shifter cables, gun_metal on these forums is running this for a fwd E58 in his mr2. imo much neater solution then stuffnng around with changing the linkages

you can't say ****** here Automotive Encyclopaedia CLG's Avatar

"buck naked" has also converted an MR2 box (albeit an S series) to FWD, and has a write up about it in his ST162 worklog from memory - search and ye shall find!

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice Grippy's Avatar

Ive done this on few of the c-series (c52 and c56) boxes for the 4agte. What you need to do is to take both selector shafts out and you will see what has to be done, drill a hole carefully yourself or have a shop do it on the other side of the box so it looks the same as the one on the MR2 (where the selector shaft goes), about an inch of the hole is slightly larger to make way for the oil seal. Put the MR2 selector shaft in the Camry box, use the plate off the MR2 box for the other side and all should be good.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

i did a similar conversion two weeks ago

its VERY simple -

the only thing you have to worry about is how to plug up the hole left on the other side of the box where the mr2 linkages went - let me tell you how to do it

pop the little brass plug thingo (which the rubber covers) off, put a 10c coin at the back of it - and put sikaflex all around in front and back (but be sure to smoothen the back of it off as it may impede on the selector shaft movement if you leave it too thick) - wait til it dries, then tap it back into the stock hole - simple

good luck
    st162
    Gen 3 3sge N/A - 146.3 front wheel hp (109fwkw ) -

NOW 178HP @ Front Wheels - N/A Gen 3

Soon to be hi-comp turbo'd....

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

There are 3 different versions of the breather and detent system, so you have to make sure you dont stuff it up. I have see a couple of conversions that had poor alignment of the selector rod and sicky linkages as a result.
    I have written a short article on the E code gearbox as used in GT4, Supercharged/Turbocharged MR2 and some Caldinas. check out www.roadandtrack.net.au. if interested

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by trd3sg View Post
    i did a similar conversion two weeks ago

its VERY simple -

the only thing you have to worry about is how to plug up the hole left on the other side of the box where the mr2 linkages went - let me tell you how to do it

pop the little brass plug thingo (which the rubber covers) off, put a 10c coin at the back of it - and put sikaflex all around in front and back (but be sure to smoothen the back of it off as it may impede on the selector shaft movement if you leave it too thick) - wait til it dries, then tap it back into the stock hole - simple

good luck
    is there simple clear step by step on how to do this?