Thread: Puttin 71-72 tail lights into a 73 onwards celica

is certainly not a Automotive Encyclopaedia suss_slide's Avatar

Default Puttin 71-72 tail lights into a 73 onwards celica

ok so ive decided to document how i did my really simple conversion on the back tail lights on my 22.

To start with the things you'll need will be a screw driver, the 71-72 tail lights and centre garnish (obviously) it helps alot if you have the loom for it aswell, A jigsaw cutter, some plyers, duct tape and electric connectors.

Ok now that weve got our stuff first thing you should do is remove your crappy newer rear lights, bumper, and centre garnish. At this point you should have something like this...

ur rear should be completly naked like.

next step is to test fit your new/older lights

like so....

ok so now after youve done that get a sharp metal thing or a pen whichever one is closer to reach, and mark out what you will need to cut like so...

see the lil white mark thats how much you need to cut, once youve done that your lights should fit!!

Ok so now that youve got the lights on you need to wire em up, as i was saying earlier, it really helps to have a wiring loom so that you can just match all the wires and your laughin, thats how i did it, but if you dont have the loom here is the print out for what wire does what. (just remember as i didnt know, that if you do have the 71/72 loom that there should be two white wires, these are ground wires and need to be grounded for the lights to work)

so heres what that looks like

after youve done that, you need to get the centre garnish on, now how i did this was very dodge i measured where the hole would be from each edge, and then the bottom, and then i measured the gap between the two screws, done that drill holes and bam your laughin.

so in the end with some luck this is what it should look like!

http://img74.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc02299ep2.jpg
    Now targeting, people who are now targeting!!

Junior Member Domestic Engineer weapon x's Avatar

Default Re: Puttin 71-72 tail lights into a 73 onwards celica

thanks for putting that up... someone did tell me i'd have to cut to make it fit
    now i know exactly what to expect

however in your final picture you can see behind the filler plate on the edges...
    i assume i shouldn't be too hard to cover that up?

i've got a set of all RED flat style rear lights... so i'll have to work out the wiring side of things a bit differently... and i was thinking of doing something different with the actual globes... duno yet

cheers

is certainly not a Automotive Encyclopaedia suss_slide's Avatar

yeah well see i got all there was from the other car i got the lights from, and there was no gap then, a bit disapointed really but what can i do?
    Now targeting, people who are now targeting!!

Apparently I'm a Backyard Mechanic PULSE's Avatar

I'm just doing this today and I noticed there is a fair gap between the light surround and the actual light/body of car. Is this meant to be like that? There is also a big gap between the lights and the bumper? Other than that I have removed the hinge mechanism off the back of the centre garnish and have ground down the mounts so that it sits more flush with the other lights. I dont quite understand how you mounted it though, did you drill into the garnish or the car? Cheers, matt