Thread: Jaycar temperature switch

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia Big rob's Avatar

Default Jaycar temperature switch

Hi, i have bought and assembled the jaycar temp switch thingy to controll my thermo fans. It uses a thermo resistor to measure temperture out of the top radiator hose. The resistor needs to be completly isulated so that it dosnt short but still be able to measure temperature. Does anyone have an idea of how to mount it so that it full fills both catagories? I was thinking potting in a small brass tube with some epoxy, but the epoxy sure as hell wont transfer heat to the resistor that well. But then again with such a small amount maybe it would?

Idea's?

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

Default Re: Jaycar temperature switch

A Tridon thermofan switch would have been a mucho easier option.
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic ndgcpr's Avatar

i have done the same thing. decided to use the jaycar switch to switch my fans. its is alot cheaper then other mods and i am not the biggest fan of having to "install" a sensor in a custom housing.

It took my a while to set it up exactly how i wanted (to get the temps right). To fit it i wired one end of the "sensor" to a wire and heat shrinked it up to the end of the "sensor". then folded te other wire over what i heat shrinked and soldered it to the other wire. i then covered that in heat shrink and put a bit of sillicone gasket maker in the ends to keep it water tite. I have then placed the sensor under the hose inlet of the radiator and the hose has held it there quite well. I have never had a problem with this and the fans work best with the bonnet closed, i also have the ability to turn my fans on at will just incase my temps got to hot or it failed but for well over 6 months it has worked falwlessly. I also have an aftermaket temp gauge so i know exactly when the fans should turn on. I can put up pics if you would like

and i have heard people use your expoy idea, the drill into a screw and it seems to work ok. my way does alow it to get the current temp quite quickly though.
    Noisy Diff and Gearbox Club of Pine Rivers
    and you thought your car was loud
    The Soarer brought to you by the letter TT

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ndgcpr
    i have done the same thing. decided to use the jaycar switch to switch my fans. its is alot cheaper then other mods and i am not the biggest fan of having to "install" a sensor in a custom housing.
    Drilling and tapping one hole is much easier than building a circuit and trying to shove a probe in somewhere.

Less components means less things to go wrong.

Its a simple on/off switch that is highly accurate, I couldn't recommend it enough.
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia Big rob's Avatar

OK i guess its more heat shrink, thanks guys

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic ndgcpr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrUZida
    Drilling and tapping one hole is much easier than building a circuit and trying to shove a probe in somewhere.

Less components means less things to go wrong.

Its a simple on/off switch that is highly accurate, I couldn't recommend it enough.
    I must admit i don't totally know the product your refering too and i could google it . The only ones i have seen are stupid "probes" that your meant to slide into the side of the hose or somthing, i don't like that idea. but yours seems more reliable, but i like my setup becasue i am lazy
    Noisy Diff and Gearbox Club of Pine Rivers
    and you thought your car was loud
    The Soarer brought to you by the letter TT