Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [Guide] "How to fit RT142 rear disc's to most 4 studs"

---------HO00NS---------- Chief Engine Builder IN 05 NT's Avatar

Default Re: [Guide] "How to fit RT142 rear disc's to most 4 studs"

any updates on the mx13/23 upgrade? if so did the st141 hanbrake cable hook up to the standard handbrake cable front piece?

ive been sussing out the caliper mounts relative to the shock mounts....looks like its going to clear....but going to be close.......time will tell how it works out.

Resto Rodder Domestic Engineer GA61XX's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IN 05 NT
    any updates on the mx13/23 upgrade? if so did the st141 hanbrake cable hook up to the standard handbrake cable front piece?

ive been sussing out the caliper mounts relative to the shock mounts....looks like its going to clear....but going to be close.......time will tell how it works out.

as for these disc's on a MX13/23..
    i've not fitted a set to a MX13/23 car.. only used there diff's in RA40/60 & AE86's

New bearing retairer ring, welded to retainer plate & axle bearing spacer ring on axle.

& with bearing & shrink ring...
    Last edited by GA61XX; 22-01-2009 at 10:22 PM.
    Project: '82, GA61 XX

Toymods Club Member 1st year Apprentice MyToy Mx13's Avatar

Deleted Deleted
    Last edited by MyToy Mx13; 16-06-2011 at 08:39 AM.
    Don't bother me, I'm Busy.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

saw you at UPI man thanks for all the info. +++ rep

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

I have done this conversion on my ae86 (with t18 diff), but didn't want to take the diff out of the car so this is what I did to get out of cutting my shock hangers and re welding them.

I purchased a set of traction brackets and machined up some shock mounts that bolt onto the brackets.

This serves a few purposes:
    1. moves the shocks out of the way for this converion
    2. fixes the rear suspension geometry after lowing the car
    3. makes the low rear springs captive again

Overall pretty good answer, imo.

RA23 + 3SGE Beams Backyard Mechanic Major Clod's Avatar

Default Re: How to fit RT142 rear disc's to most 4 studs

Quote Originally Posted by GA61XX View Post
    RA40/60 "F" diff' conversion using MX13/23 diff'

With the MX13/23 "F" diff' the disc's will not sit in the centre of the caliper, & a New axle bearing spacer ring is needed, to offset the axle... to bring disc to the centre of the caliper...
    ( i've had only had a small order of parts made so fare, but i could order more if needed)
    Would you happen to know the thickness of this bearing spacer ring?

Also, is it entirely possible to do this another way by spacing out the brake rotor from the axle hub face? Perhaps some thing wheel offset spacers sitting between the axle and rotor would do it? Can anyone see any issues with that?
    1976 RA23 Celica - 3SGE Blacktop Beams Powered!
    1994 KZN130 Surf - Daily 3ltr Turbo Diesel Goodness!

Default Re: How to fit RT142 rear disc's to most 4 studs

Quote Originally Posted by Major Clod View Post
    Would you happen to know the thickness of this bearing spacer ring?

Also, is it entirely possible to do this another way by spacing out the brake rotor from the axle hub face? Perhaps some thing wheel offset spacers sitting between the axle and rotor would do it? Can anyone see any issues with that?

Hmmmm... strange way of thinking.. about the wheel offset.. when it is the axle that needs spacing..
    But Why..??? When the rotor needs to be in contact with the Axle face, to pass Engineering... & also a spacer in that position may become loose, & therefore cause a Big problem.. eg. wheel falling off...

Yes... i do know the sizes of the Axle bearing spacers needed for the MX13/23 diff's.. & i'll post up details soon.. (well once i get my drawings back from the machine shop)..

Now that i've had a few people ask about this conversion, & many others asking about the Bearing Retainer rings & Hi-Tensile Bolts... So just like the W55/7/8 Bronze Shifter Bushes.. if there is the interest i'll get them re-made...

The Axel spacer rings i had made last time i was able to get a short order of them, & should be able to get another 20 made, thats 10 diff's... ( it helps when you've been using the same machine shop for over 20years )

The Bearing Retainer rings i get a Min' order of 40 made.. ( that is the machine shops smallest order ) & the Hollow Bar needed for the job will need to be ordered in...

Note:- Please do not use crappy bolts.. They Must be Hi-Tensile.. & yes the $4.85 each they charge retail for them sux... But it is what is needed to pass All engineering requirements...

& yes the steal/material used for these rings is of a High quality

Send a PM if interested in the next order.. Please don't clog up this thread with orders or "PM sent" there is no need for it.. lets keep this thread for the conversion..

Edit :- the list has been started....
    Last edited by GA61XX; 06-11-2009 at 11:52 AM.

From my understanding using the bearing spacer rings will push your axle and therefore offset out slightly either side yes? It will also remove the axle splines this same distance from your diff centre, so there will be less spline engaged correct?

Could you explain why spacing the disc out slightly from the face of the axle instead is a bad idea. I can understand if we're talking quite a few MM, but if its only a small amount, perhaps with some longer wheel studs to compensate, is it such a bad thing?
    Last edited by Major Clod; 04-11-2009 at 03:07 PM.

From my understanding using the bearing spacer rings will push your axle and therefore offset out slightly either side yes? It will also remove the axle splines this same distance from your diff centre, so there will be less spline engaged correct.

Hmmmm.... well when using the MA61 LSD you need to move the splines for clearance... & it is less that a few mm that we need to slide the axle/spline..

The Axle spacer is the way to go... As Toyota has already done the Engineering on the Spacer Rings to locate the axle for the Drum Brakes used on many different models of car, & they also used the same Axles with the MA46/7 with both Drum & Disc Brakes, so for Toyota to cut down of machining costs & be able to use the one Axle for many cars they changed the size of this Spacer Ring..
    So to use a New Spacer Ring to replace the Toyota factory spacer ring, to locate the RT142's Disc's, will cut down on the cost of the Engineering report needed for Rego' / Street use... & this ring needs to be made of a High grade of steal...

Note :- you will find that the MA47 used a Double row Ball Race Axle Bearing & therefore is wider than the Standard Bearing.. Hence the use of Spacer Ring on other diff's....

if you want more info on this please PM......
    Last edited by GA61XX; 06-11-2009 at 11:55 AM.

Mate, some additional questions:

- Any further info on the linishing/grinding needed on the bolts? I have the factory originals, do I just need to grind the new ones to match?

- Any information on handbrake solutions? Finding the correct ones can be a pain, especially we need two find two RT142 to make a complete set for one car. Is custom an option?
    Last edited by Major Clod; 04-11-2009 at 03:14 PM.

Mate, some additional questions:

- Any further info on the linishing/grinding needed on the bolts? I have the factory originals, do I just need to grind the new ones to match?

- Any information on handbrake solutions? Finding the correct ones can be a pain, especially we need two find two RT142 to make a complete set for one car. Is custom an option? !

Now this thread was started before my brake up with now ex-wife.. & yes there is a lot needed to be filled in..

So "Yes" i'll get the pic's & info to update this thread ASAP... & Cheers for the Question..

Now on people doing Dodgy jobs... i've had people being cheep Flaring there Brake lines with a plumbers flare tool.. these only give a Single Flare & Not to an engineering standard.. The Brake lines Must be done with a Double Flare....
    at one point in time i did Full kits for these with the Bolts, Rings & steal lines all ready to go Plug & Play.....
    i still have a lot of Bundy tubing for this & a few other items, & i make them when asked....

The conversion here Should be Only done by Proffesionaly who know what they are doing... & not done by the Back Yardy.....
    Last edited by GA61XX; 06-11-2009 at 11:57 AM.

This space is now saved for future blog & up dates ..
    & got one here on the 6/9/13

got asked about fitting this set up to a RT40 ..
    as i do not know what type of diff' they run i could only advise that they need a "T" diff''
    got a few other question from the person & i came up with this :-

as i said you need a RT142 1985 & only the '85 will suit ....
    it was a one year only thing that was only done here in Australia ..

now to how & why we did this :-
    Toyota started to manufacture cars here in Australia during the 1970's using local components ..
    now we built Borg-Warner diff's here, But we built them to suit the jap' drum brakes ..
    Now in 1985 we wanted Disc Rear end on our cars & still wanted to offer drum brakes for the budget market, & already using jap' drums we got Disc's made to fit the Jap' drum brake bolt pattern to the diff' .. hence why our Disc's fit Drum brake set up's...
    over the years i've sent these as Full Kits around the would as we are the only country that has them & many people want "plug & play" disc's for their Toyota's ..

remember ONLY the 1985 RT142 Live Axle ....

Last edited by GA61XX; 06-09-2013 at 04:37 PM.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

I have just compleated this conversion on my ra40 in the last few nights and I am very happy with the way it turned out. But as i expected my rear brakes lock up after only very little pedal travel.

Now, I am still trying to work out if the problem is from the displacement of the master cylinder or a fluid pressuer balance problem. What I would like to know is if there is a easy swap over part from the rt142 or any other model to fix this or am I looking at a master cylinder conversion as well?
    i am greatful for any help with this problem
    My brake system is stock apart from the brake conversion i have just done.

cheers Shea

Please.. if you have Questions about this conversion & want Answers from me, PM's are the go.. then if there is a need for it i can use this thread to give details for all.. & it will keep this thread short..

Junior Member Grease Monkey

what did you do to adjust brake bias after the conversion in a TA22, or did you not need to? thanks for the write up too its been very helpful.