Thread: Inline thermostat housing

Village Idiot Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default Inline thermostat housing

Hi folks,

Anyone ever come across an inline thermostat housing ; example one that would mount in your bottom radiator hose as opposed to in the back of the head, or back of the water pump.

I've heard of them but my friend google doesn't seem to be helping much, anyone here had any experience with such a device.

And yes there is always using the remote 4AC (off the top of the gearbox jobby) as an alternative.

Just looking at what other options there are out there...I have a FWD 4AGE, and am in the process of converting it to RWD format, but, don't want to ideally 1) spend the money on the RWD 4AGE thermostat/housing components ect and 2) don't want to use the 4AC setup (as per Karls' FAQ on 100kw to RWD gig)

Chookhouse Chooning Automotive Encyclopaedia Hen's Avatar

Default Re: Inline thermostat housing

I've seen a home made one which simply was a bit of tube milled (probably lathed now I think about it) to the right diameter to fit the thermostat Think of two sections of tube which had a groove to fit the thermostat where it joined.

I'm afraid I know of no further details as I only had a quick look at it many years ago.

Hen
    I need a working 4AGE bottom end. Pref smallport GZE, but all others considered. Also complete motors.
    Drift Volvo. Was fun. 2JZ next time.

Junior Member Grease Monkey Jayem's Avatar

Bolt two same kinda housings together and place thermostat between those two.
    Appelsiini jaffaa!

what? Automotive Encyclopaedia EVOSTi's Avatar

it wont work if you only run a thermostat by itself in the radiator hose, i know this cause i tried it when i put the gze in the sprinter.

you need to have bypass hoses so some water can continue to circulate while the thermostat is closed, otherwise the hot water would stay in the head and the thermostat would only have cold water around it and stay closed.

Village Idiot Automotive Encyclopaedia

you need to have bypass hoses so some water can continue to circulate while the thermostat is closed, otherwise the hot water would stay in the head and the thermostat would only have cold water around it and stay closed.
    no bingo for me
    on with the shitty 4AC idea then.

thanks all for your input

Chookhouse Chooning Automotive Encyclopaedia Hen's Avatar

You can always drill a small hole in the thermostat, so that some water still flows through even when it is closed.

Hen
    I need a working 4AGE bottom end. Pref smallport GZE, but all others considered. Also complete motors.
    Drift Volvo. Was fun. 2JZ next time.

what? Automotive Encyclopaedia EVOSTi's Avatar

why not make a setup similar to the rwd 4age? you can make it happen with a combination of rwd 4ac and fwd 4age bits. dont ask me the specifics however but its doable.

Junior Member Grease Monkey off-road's Avatar

On the race car we have 2 'top halves' of thermostat housings bolted together. They were made by Kilkenny Castings but I can't remember what car they were for. We use a Chevy thermostat.
    We had to machine a step (recess) for the thermostat to sit in and we also machined a O ring groove where the two faces meet.We drilled a hole in the thermostat to allow water to circulate while the thermostat is closed