Thread: Replacement "Dumb" 4AGZE Ignition Module

Extreme Procrastinator Grease Monkey PuGZoR's Avatar

Default Replacement "Dumb" 4AGZE Ignition Module

Hey guys,

I'm in a spot of trouble wiring up my Microtech LT10S to my 4AGZE (AE101 flavour). Now the 4AGZE is a crank angle sensor model, meaning it uses twin coilpacks with dual coils in each pack to fire. Because the stock ignition module is an intelligent type, it'll only talk to the stock computer, and because I want to use the stock coilpacks it means yes, I need a new ignition module. Soooo, this means I need a two channel dumb ignition module to bridge the gap between the Microtech and the stock coilpacks.

After my searching, the only one I can figure matches this profile is the Bosch BIM200, but is pretty expensive at around $160-170 from my mate at trade prices (he's an apprentice auto-electrician). Because apparently this is a module used in Porsches, Peugots, and BMW's, it's natural to assume there's probably a cheaper alternative out there. So my question is.. Does anyone know of one?

Much appreciated if anyone can help...
    The Phoenix: AE86
    4AGTE with heaps of go-fast & drift bits. Hoping for 160rwkw and a sweet curve!
    .:\\ W58 - GT2560R - F282 - TRD LSD - AE101 4AGZE //:.

Current UZA80 owner Chief Engine Builder JustCallMeOrlando's Avatar

Default Re: Replacement "Dumb" 4AGZE Ignition Module

Microtech X4 worked a treat and cost me $120 delivered.
    Teh UZA80 - Project Century - Remotely p00'd by association

Chookhouse Chooning Automotive Encyclopaedia Hen's Avatar

Bosch 008 modules from Camiras. Mounted under the coil if I remember correctly. Cheap (or free) from pick-a-part.

A pair of these will have you running no problems.

Hen
    I need a working 4AGE bottom end. Pref smallport GZE, but all others considered. Also complete motors.
    Drift Volvo. Was fun. 2JZ next time.

Quote Originally Posted by JustCallMeOrlando
    Microtech X4 worked a treat and cost me $120 delivered.
    You need to have the Microtech set up for this from factory, so I know that won't work. (Rang Microtech today enquiring about that)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hen
    Bosch 008 modules from Camiras. Mounted under the coil if I remember correctly. Cheap (or free) from pick-a-part.

A pair of these will have you running no problems.
    So I read on another thread on here, but appears to be for single coil setups. I guess if I used the same commons and split them between the modules, that'd be fine, just having the different inputs from the Microtech go to the seperate igniters yeah?

PDF (courtesy of Wolf3D but still valid) of the Bosch 008

Correct?

Quote Originally Posted by PuGZoR
    You need to have the Microtech set up for this from factory, so I know that won't work. (Rang Microtech today enquiring about that)
    In what way? It's 4 dumb igniters in a box.

There are not two coils in each "twin coil pack". It is a single double ended coil. So you only need a single ignitor for each coilpack (meaning two in total for the engine).

So 2 Bosch 008s will work. I have run exactly this setup (aside from brand of ECU) for 4 years.

Hen
    I need a working 4AGE bottom end. Pref smallport GZE, but all others considered. Also complete motors.

Quote Originally Posted by JustCallMeOrlando
    In what way? It's 4 dumb igniters in a box.
    The EMS actually comes with the plug though, from what I was comprehending, and unless you have that plug it may be a bit hard to tap into the igniter. Unsure if Microtech would sell this plug seperately, however the general idea I got from the Microtech tech was that unless it'd been set up to accept the X4 from factory, I was on my own.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hen
    There are not two coils in each "twin coil pack". It is a single double ended coil. So you only need a single ignitor for each coilpack (meaning two in total for the engine).

So 2 Bosch 008s will work. I have run exactly this setup (aside from brand of ECU) for 4 years.
    Sorry, I understand the theory, but didn't know how to word it correctly, heh. Excellent, will just run two 008's then, since I already acquired one thinking it would do the job. (Must have been reading a 4AGZE dizzy version with a single coil, because I was under the impression that that module would do the job, had no mention of number of outputs req'd, etc)

Hen, you're probably best to answer this, but how hot do these run? I've made up a plate to mount them on, but should I consider actually mounting a heatsink on the plate, or should they be fine as long as the heat affected areas don't touch wiring, etc?

anti blasphemy ! Carport Converter

make shaw you use heat paste (the same stuff you use under a heatsink on a cpu/gpu )
    between the module and mounting face, not alot iether just a small even amount.
    i dont have a funny or cool signature.

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Pair of 008s is good.

The X4 is a truly dumb module, i have one running my coils off the haltech.
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

I've never checked how hot they get. Mine are at the top of the firewall above the exhaust, mounted on an alloy plate. So far they've worked without fault.

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

So are Microtech telling you that your particular LT10s has NOT been configured to run an X4 ignition box?

If that is the case, then it will also not work with a pair of 008s.
    The X4 and the Bosch 008 ignitors work from the same signals, so if one works, so will the other.

Call Microtech again with the serial number from your LT10s and ask if the ignition outputs will work with an X4 ignition box. Tell them you want to use one, but you just want to be sure your LT10s has been configured correctly to suit.... its a possible sale for them so they should help you
    ...... butt scratcher?!

Quote Originally Posted by The Witzl
    Call Microtech again with the serial number from your LT10s and ask if the ignition outputs will work with an X4 ignition box. Tell them you want to use one, but you just want to be sure your LT10s has been configured correctly to suit.... its a possible sale for them so they should help you
    Will do, but I'm sure my module was set up for wasted spark, where as if it was set up for the X4, I'd need a coil for each cylinder. The fact that my loom does match this setup is reassuring... 99% sure 2x 008's will work. If anyone didn't know, the Champion code for the Bosch 008 is CM409. May help if someone's looking for that info...

Think of the X4 as 4 008's in a box. You don't have to use them all. I myself have a wasted spark 6 cylinder, I just use 3 of the X4's outputs.

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

Mr Orlando is correct.... you can quite easily keep the wasted spark setup, and just use only the first two of the X4's ignition outputs.

...... butt scratcher?!

That's alright then. I'd already bought a CM409 (aka, cheap version of the Bosch 008) many moons prior to making this thread, so at this point in time it looks like the cheapest option is to just get another 008. Wiring shouldn't be any harder either, so yeah, might just stick that way. Thanks all, rep for every contributor.