Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: In the Beginning - Toymods History

Toymods Vice President Chief Engine Builder TheToyman75's Avatar

Post In the Beginning - Toymods History

Well I wasn't around for the beginning but was fortunate enough to meet most of the people who gave birth to what has become the toymods car club of today.

Some of the original guys are still around and I have asked them to add to this and make some corrections where required. If you were around when it started and can add to this please PM me and I will post it up. There is allot of history in the clubs 6 years of existance and I think its important for the newer faces and members to get a bit of a feel for where the club came from.

Toymods as far as I am aware started back in May of 1999 Hopefully Mos, Michael or Max can confirm or correct that. A small group of hills based guys got together for what is noted as the first ever Toymods gathering. It wasn't "Toymods" back then it was 8 guys who one way or another had bumped into each other and met up under the direction of the clubs first preident, Luke Sheerman. If you check the previous events section of the website there are some pics from that meeting. Either way, this is them:

Luke is pretty busy these days with work commitments but I think its fair to say he was the driving force behind the clubs creation, he didn't do it alone but he was the public face and point of contact. He was the man in the crowd. Toymods became an entitiy with the support of 10 members, 10 guys who were willing to cough up some cash and get things started. Each paid for what was then a 3 year membership and things got going. The first 10 members were:

1 Luke Sheerman
    2 Lukasz Szymanski (MOS)
    3 Bill Sherwood
    4 Joseph Moore
    5 Michael Alexander
    6 Darren Cowling
    7 Sean Langley
    8 Michael Seymour
    9 Paul Pyyvaara
    10 Peter Luong (Max/Nark)

It was from the $$$ of these guys that the clubs first flyers were printed, sponsers were hunted and slowly in the hills at least word filtered slowly around.

I personally joined around 2000, I know becasue I asked for membership number 25 as I was that age at the time. the actual membership numbers were notthat far yet. I got handed a bright orange Flyer from a Shop in Castle Hill so before I waffle on any further I'll leave the thread for a while so the guys who were there can fill in some spaces

Updated to restore the Photo - Thanks Stew
    Last edited by TheToyman75; 24-04-2008 at 11:21 PM.
    1971 2T-B Celica TA22 ST.
    1973 2T-G Celica TA22, aka "The Unicorn".
    1975 2T-G Celica TA27 GT
    1976 2T-G Celica TA23, aka "The Colonel".
    1985 3F Auto FJ62 Landcruiser
    1989 7M-GTE MA70 Supra, aka "The Poopra"

History: Rods Classic Celica Sampler thread.

Forum Member Domestic Engineer Nark's Avatar

Default Re: In the Beginning - Toymods History

For me, I'd gotten word on the grapevine that there was a new Toyota club starting. A perfect way for me to enjoy the company of like-minded individuals.
    It all started out with a humble email, I think I still have the original emails stored away somewhere, I might have a look for them and stick them up in this thread.
    Anyway, our first meet was a simple BBQ at Luke's place to get to know each other. There were probably only 7 people there, but a few faces at that meet are still around. From memory, Luke (#1) Mos (#2) and Joe (#4) were there. Can't remember if Michael (#8) was there?
    I'd dragged Darren (#6) along (I knew him from the Old Celica Club mailing list) as well as Boris (he bought a 3 series soon afterward so disappeared from Toymods).
    Those first days of the club were quite hectic with us furiously spreading the word. Any Toyota that we saw would have a note left on their windscreen. The cruises were pretty crazy too with some rather "enthusiastic" driving...
    The mailing list grew, especially once Mos set up a Yahoo group for it, and more people joined the club. We formalised the structure a bit, voting people into important positions such as President and Secretary, etc.
    In early 2000, we had our first dyno day. This was a big step for the club because it marked the fact that the club was financially stable enough to run such an event. The dyno day was a big success and has been run every 6 months ever since!
    Another big step for the club was the forumlation of the forums (thanks to webspace donated by Sam through his company Qnix). Once the forums were formed, history was made.
    Max
    NB8B MX-5 | Fulcrum-tuned Tein SS coilovers | Weldwell Engineering 4 point Rollbar | DBA 4000 slotted rotors | Goodridge braided lines
    MY11 Skoda Octavia RS wagon | 2x ISOFIX seats | Iggle Piggle's blanket | Some breast milk stains

Forum Member Domestic Engineer Nark's Avatar

Alright. I've tracked down the Toymods first email!

Sent: Thursday, January 20, 2000 3:32 PM
    To: michael alexander; Taz Ali; Stewart Ford; Boris Kotevski; Peter Luong; Joseph Moore; Phil Patelis; Gonzalo Servat; Michael Seymore; Bill Sherwood; luke Szymanski
    Subject: Toymods Car Club News

Hello again,

Please keep spreading the word around about the club and anyone else you know with a Toyota, please get me there details. Welcome Peter to the club.

There will be a list of things that people can become involved in. Web Site is the first. It would be good to have a page that has a list of members and their cars. I'm going to put forward a membership fee shortly. Please remember this is a non profit organisation for those involved, all money goes to the club and monthly statements will be in the newsletters.

Membership fee for 2000 will be $30 which will include a membership card, monthly newsletter, car sticker (would be good to advertise the club and also form a simple kind of uniform) and also a number of discounts at various car stores.

Please voice your opinions as this will be finalised this week.

Yours sincerely,

Luke Sheerman (Club President)
    Out of the people on that original mailing list:
    Luke Szymanski (MOS), Michael Seymour, and Joseph Moore are still active.
    Stewart Ford disappeared for a while and then came back to the forums.
    Michael Alexander disappeared for a while and came back to the forums as well
    Taz Ali, Boris Kotevski, Phil Patelis, and Gonzalo Servat were active participants for a little while. All but Phil bought non-Toyotas and disappeared from the scene. Phil started hanging with the MR2 Club.
    Bill Sherwood never showed his face at any Toymods meets but was active on the mailing list and forums for a while.

And this was the email announcing the first Toymods meet!
    Sent: Monday, January 24, 2000 1:03 PM
    To: michael alexander; Taz Ali; Stewart Ford; Rick Johnson; Boris Kotevski; Peter Luong; Joseph Moore; Phil Patelis; Gonzalo Servat; Michael Seymore; Bill Sherwood; luke Szymanski
    Subject: First Meeting

Hello Everyone,

We have decided to call the first meeting of the club this coming Sunday.

Details:

When : 6:30pm Sunday 30/1/00
    Where : My place

Address Removed

Why : To discuss the future of the club and to give you all a chance to voice your ideas in the clubs early stages.

Bring : YOUR CAR!! and a bottle of drink or beer. I will put on a BBQ.

Hope you all can come and bring your ideas because everyone will get a say on the night. This club is a friendly club and a drivers club. Let's have a great night.

Luke Sheerman ( Club President )
    As you can see, Toymods started from a very small bunch of guys. But we grew VERY rapidly!
    Last edited by TheToyman75; 01-08-2005 at 02:20 PM.
    Max
    NB8B MX-5 | Fulcrum-tuned Tein SS coilovers | Weldwell Engineering 4 point Rollbar | DBA 4000 slotted rotors | Goodridge braided lines
    MY11 Skoda Octavia RS wagon | 2x ISOFIX seats | Iggle Piggle's blanket | Some breast milk stains

Post Re: In the Beginning - Toymods History

Crap, its been another 2+ years since this thread was started, talk about how time flies.

Toymods is of course still going strong and beleive it or not some of the origianl guys are STILL hanging around I have opened this thread up in the hope they will post up some and add a little more History to what is arguably the best Toyota Club around.
    1975 2T-G Celica TA27 GT

Junior Member Carport Converter Billzilla's Avatar

I can't remember much of those days, but I remember watching Luke Sheerman working on his Sprinter when he put the 4AGZE into it.
    Changing diffs, changing gearboxes ....... : he should have used Velcro mounts to make them easier to change.
    I went to a couple of cruises in my Sprinter but I changed jobs and left Sydney before the club got really big.

Maybe good news - I've got a new job and am moving back to Sydney early next month.
    www.billzilla.org
    Toymods founding member #3

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

i remeber chasing these cars up and down the road to wisemans ferry in what really was.. back then.. a shitbox.. but at least the red bonnet had been painted..
    in many ways this set the direction of the club.. go for a leisurely cruise somewhere, with minimal hooning.. have a pie or something and talk crap....

help me out because my memory is a bit rusty
    L->R. Phil 4AGZE KE30, silver MA61 (Paul P?), maroon? MA70, red MA70, white MA70, Rob of Robs GZE MR2 page fame, Mos in pastel with spoontah, and me with shitbox and long hair....
    one of the MA70's was Gerry/jerry? low km mint example.. apologies to those that haven't appeared from my fog of memory...
    Last edited by oldcorollas; 15-11-2007 at 12:38 AM.
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

back into it Chief Engine Builder

Quote Originally Posted by Billzilla
    I can't remember much of those days, but I remember watching Luke Sheerman working on his Sprinter when he put the 4AGZE into it.
    Changing diffs, changing gearboxes ....... : he should have used Velcro mounts to make them easier to change.
    I went to a couple of cruises in my Sprinter but I changed jobs and left Sydney before the club got really big.

Maybe good news - I've got a new job and am moving back to Sydney early next month.
    Luke used to change Diff centers with ever tank of fuel he put in the sprinter.Can remember having one of my spare sprinters sitting at his house and the diff centre from it was donated to his sprinter.If Luke still had his sprinter i reckon you would be lucky to find{diff centre} one in Australia now days.
    I don't think there was a Toymoder or anyone for that matter that did not have a whack on the drums anytime they entered his house.There are only loads of two things in the Sheerman's house, Car Parts and Musical instruments and equipment.
    Had a few great nights listening to Luke play at Scruffy Murphy's, he is one good guitar player.
    Last edited by kingmick; 16-11-2007 at 02:24 PM.

Junior Member Grease Monkey Camryman's Avatar

These are my personal memories of Toymods.

I think I joined in 2000 and was at the first meeting where we voted in positions of the board in Castle Towers carpark of all places.

I had been on the US Camryman forums and somehow found the Autospeed forums. I posted on Autospeed asking if there were any Camry drivers. SmellyTofu off the Camryman forums saw it on Autospeed and told me I wouldn’t have any luck and to try contacting a new club called Toymods. ( Incidentally it would be a few years later that Toymods had enough Camry members to have a cruise to Newcastle )

Call the mobile number and Luke said they were meeting for the first time under the name Toymods at Unique Autos. I’m sure there is a photo lying around somewhere. Can’t remember why but we ended up driving from Unique to Castle Towers carpark to vote board positions.

Mos wanted to be Vice President, Wayne was Secretary, Mick was Treasurer and Luke was President. Once that was done we ate at the food court. I paid for an introductory 3 year membership.

I think a few weeks later we cruised through Galston Gauge and I quickly discovered how clumsy the SV21 Camry on family car suspension is when pushed through hairpins. I think before we got there Joe hit a stop sign in his AE86 and retired for the day. I remember Billzilla was there with the AE86.

The next cruise after that was through Wisemans Ferry which I’d never been to before and was a nice drive.

There have been many fond memories of cruises. A few notable ones include one evening trip to Newcastle. We had stopped at a local street meet when someone with a scanner shouted the cops were coming and we ran Lemans style to the cars to drive away. I didn’t even know where I was going, I just followed the line of cars to McDonalds.

Then there was the year that the Toyota Nations was cancelled because of the national insurance crisis at the time. We ended up on Luke’s family farm hosting Motorkhana. I think it was also the first time a few of us got organised and bought CB radios. That made cruise even more fun with some of the funny chats we would have, it because more of a group event being about to talk with each other.

Was also there for the first Dyno Day and the 4AGE boys couldn’t believe the 3SFE was cranking out more power than them at that particular day. Then there was the time I went to Eastern Creek off street meet where I posted a Toymods record holding time of a scorching 19sec down the ¼ mile. The Camry also held the Toymods dyno record for the over 1.8 litre NA class but due to a technicality in the rules it never won the trophy on the day, instead going to Rod's stroked Celica to avoid having to hand the trophy to a Hyundai Accent. The rules were changed after this.

As far as the club becoming incorporated, that conversation got started at Auburn McDonalds one day when I asked Max what would ever happen if Luke got bored with the club and left. Originally had nothing to do with insurance and liability, but to somehow put a structure in place so the club was not just effectively one person.

Little did I realise that HIH insurance would collapse and we would reached 150 members in 1.5 years when I had estimated it would take 3 years which would have give us heaps of time so sort out incorporate and public liability insurance. Then there was a fatality at the Auto Salon speed battle so I hit the panic button and through a lot of sweat and drama from the guys on the board the club became an incorporated association with public liability insurance.

I’m glad after all this time the club is still around. There were other Toyota clubs that started around the same time that have since disappeared.
    Last edited by Camryman; 10-01-2008 at 05:07 PM.

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Hi,

I have only been with the Club for 3 years, but I joined purely for the hot chicks.

Though I do recall ringing pretty-boy a week or so before I turned up to my first meeting. He asked what sort of car I had and I said I had an RA25. There was a few moments of silence, then he replied something along the lines of "Oh yeah, sure you do." I even told Riverina that this mongrel doesn't beleive I got an RA25. So, I jsut had to turn up then to prove it.

My greatest achievment is to create the 5 most handsomest men in Toymods list. I'd like to create one for the chicks... but there are just sooooo many fine looking lasses I don't know where to start.

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin

advocate for the oldies Carport Converter ian's Avatar

hi river
    if you need a hand with all the fine looking lasses give me a call , i can be the victorian rep
    lol
    ian
    nostalgia is not what it used to be:

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

And thats how I got hooked onto Toyota's....Through Max/Nark, back in 2000 and it sure has grown to be quite big.

Its Thai if you happen to forget, tutoring on the weekend, dunno what percentage of that time was spent talking about cars though. Thanks to you I ended up doing engineering...

I also finally ended up finding out how fast your Ra-60 was with the 1ggte, its freakin awesome. My first memory in a boosted car and it was not at all disappointing!!
    Last edited by Suprathai; 17-01-2008 at 04:15 PM.

Gorilla Industries Conversion King Koffee-Black's Avatar

I still see Taz Ali, he now has a 350Z. Top Bloke!!

I remember getting a flyer on my GT Starlet back in the day, but back then, i didnt even know what a forum is haha, so i threw it out.

I remember teh camryman, i was on his site all the time as my first car was a SV21 Camry heheh
    JZA80 Turbo Time Attack Car - "Gorilla"
    JZA80 Turbo Street Car - "Silver Back"
    Lexus RX350 F Sport "Kid Hauler"
    Vitz - Supercharged "Chimp"
    HDJ80 Landcruiser "Baboon"

Opinionated Arsehole Backyard Mechanic

Edited post.
    Last edited by 4DaDrift; 16-12-2009 at 07:32 PM.

One of the originals 1st year Apprentice

Geez, the memories!!

At last count, Luke (4agze AE86), Darren (1GGTE RA40), and myself (1GGTE RA23)went through 41 "T" series diff centres in about 4 months, they started to become quite hard to find ! Clearly remember changing 2 at my old's house in Epping on New Years Day, 2001, one in the sprinter, one in mine.

Remember helping Max put the "new" Gen 3 1GGTE into the "Wedge" at lukes old place, and that motor only lasting maybe a week, because SOMEBODY (Max!) only tightened the sump pickup up finger tight

Will rack the memory banks for more.......
    Phill
    1995 DX 80 series, brought to you by:- 1HDFTE, A750F, Secret Squirrel Steinbauer, PWR, ARB, BFG, Engel, Aerotech, GME, Kaymar, empty wallet, wife who's over it and Total care 4wd

Quote Originally Posted by big80 View Post
    Geez, the memories!!

At last count, Luke (4agze AE86), Darren (1GGTE RA40), and myself (1GGTE RA23)went through 41 "T" series diff centres in about 4 months, they started to become quite hard to find ! Clearly remember changing 2 at my old's house in Epping on New Years Day, 2001, one in the sprinter, one in mine.

Remember helping Max put the "new" Gen 3 1GGTE into the "Wedge" at lukes old place, and that motor only lasting maybe a week, because SOMEBODY (Max!) only tightened the sump pickup up finger tight

Will rack the memory banks for more.......
    Dude !

How the hell are you ? Awesome to see you online man.
    1975 2T-G Celica TA27 GT