Thread: Toyota Camry

Forum Member

Smile Toyota Camry

I have a 1996 Camry, is there any rear disc brake conversion kits or other Toyota products out there? for a reasonable price,also I'm looking for a cold air intake yes I know it's a Camry I trying to get the best gas miles out of it as you know gas is getting more expensive as the days roll by The motor is a 2.2 so anybody can help or know anybody let me know. Thank you guys for your time. Newbie of ToyMods

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Default Re: Toyota Camry

Don't know of any rear disc brake options, but out of interest what do you hope to gain by doing this? Have you ever run out of brakes in your Camry? I'd be pretty surprised.

As for a cold air intake, it's not hard to knock one up using parts from a hardware store. This is how most people do it.

Forum Member

Smile Re: Toyota Camry

The brakes are all right it just seems that I have to press down pretty hard when I really need to brake but besides that I guess I should slow down much sooner So that's the reason. If I really think about it I guess it would be a waste of money. Thank you for your help.
    Happy New Year!

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

If you find you have to press hard to get it to stop you could try runing a softer front pad setup, Not good for club use but good for the street ...
    If you still wanted to run a disc setup, i am sure the v6 camry of that year ran a rear disc setup, but you would probably have to run the front setup as well, bigger discs i think & possibly m/cyl etc as well ...

Forum Member

Smile Re: Toyota Camry

I'm using NAPA front pads so I don't recall the material of the pads so... for the rear disc do you think it would be a waste of time and $$$ to go 4 way disc it sounds like a I'm asking for trouble, I had back surgey here recently so going to the junk yards an finding them if that's possible.. I have a 1990 Ford F150 and it seems to stop alot easier I might be comparing apples to oranges. Thanks

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

It sounds like the Camry just has a firmer pedal than you're used to. This doesn't mean the brakes themselves are inadequate, and even if you do upgrade to rear discs it probably won't affect pedal feel.

Solution: man up and stomp the pedal harder.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Mate, i think there is a standard widebody camry with Rear Disks and V6... Not 100%on that.

For a site with heaps of camrys (at least the last time I had a camry) is toyotanation.com, but it has taken an owner change and may have changed.

Gobble, Gobble! Automotive Encyclopaedia mrshin's Avatar

Yes, even some of the 4-pot ones do have rear discs, and from several of them that I have driven, they have quite a soft pedal...

Long Time Reader Backyard Mechanic willwal98's Avatar

I have driven a few camry's as work cars and they always seem to brake quite ok. Maybe there is something else wrong like the power assist (I'd assume they are electric on that model) or maybe they need a reco, different pads, different tyres etc
    Hello.

Forum Member

Talking Re: Toyota Camry

Yes many 92-95 widebody camrys have rear disk brakes while ALL widebody Camrys from 95-97 have disk brakes in the rear here in Australia. I suprised that your have drum brakes in the rear given yours in a 96 model but then again yours is a American model. You can convert yours to have rear disk brakes also. Is a simple conversion you will need complete hubs including the parking brake shoes, disks, calipers and rubber brake lines. Disk brakes have many advantages over drum brakes such as less maintanance, easier servicing, more balanced braking between axles, more reliable, better overall braking while having significantly better braking in the rain.

Normally Aspirated Domestic Engineer RT104GT's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Noofa
    Mate, i think there is a standard widebody camry with Rear Disks and V6... Not 100%on that.

For a site with heaps of camrys (at least the last time I had a camry) is toyotanation.com, but it has taken an owner change and may have changed.

Didnt all Aussie Camrys go 4WD after 1991 The Ultima?
    My VZV21 V6 had FWD from 1988 but its quite heavy and stops badly.
    Ive had tried lots of combos and currently run TAIPAN pads and rotors from WA and they are fair.
    Pedal is soft and I would like to get it up a tad.

Maybe if I didnt drive this rocket as hard it might stop better.
    1968 RT40S Corona 1600S series II (restore in progress)
    1973 RT104-MQFG 012604 Corona GT JDM (Owned since 1976 242000 km)
    1989 ST185-BLMVZ-0007199 Celica GT4 JDM (unmolested classic 95000 km)
    2012 ZN-6 86GT (shed find 5000 km in 6 years)