Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Alternatives for Altezza IS200

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Dimitri's Avatar

Default Re: Alternatives for Altezza IS200

done. piece of piss.

its not skimping, its got everything i want and nothing i dont,as i described in my post, its the type of engine that apeals to me. its nice and mechanical, theres no tricks, what you see is what you get.

theres no problem sitting the engine upright at all. no mods required. i think you ment intake side re the mounting. theres enough there. alternators no problem, normal mr2 bracket is fine. i really doubt once youve taken off the dizzy cap and put on a low profile cover there'll be any clearance issue.

bell housings easy, theres atleast 2 lite aces at every wrecker i ever go to. id much prefer to use a W box anyway.

i dont think you really read my post properly, and i dont think youve ever been envolved in a rwd gen 2 3s conversion.

cruz.. i probably am/was. still, i dont think fuel consumptions a worthy argument, maybe theyre similar, maybe even the uz pips it by a little, but it wouldnt be much.

btw im not gonna pay 20k for one.. ever. theyre around all time time now for 17k through regular avenues, let alone really digging, and by the time im ready, theyll be even less.

is firing on all eight. Carport Converter AndyTTR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri
    i dont think you really read my post properly, and i dont think youve ever been envolved in a rwd gen 2 3s conversion.
    not on my own car, but i've seen and helped with 2 others. Just yesterday I saw a Caldina Gen 4 3SGE running in an AE71.

theres no problem sitting the engine upright at all. no mods required.
    The problem that we came across was that when mounted vertically that oil would pool in the head. This was because there are no oil drain galleys on one side, its designed so that when its on an angle the oil collects on the intake side and drains to the sump. To get around this we had to tap some lines on the exhaust side and run them to the sump.

Im not saying you're way is the wrong way, i'm just suggesting the way that I would do it if I ever owned an IS.

ahhhumm thats a gen 2 3s. in an 86.. i dont see how the oil can pool in one head and not in another if theyre the same. works fine on that engine. if you for some reason had the engine tilted heavily to towards the exhaust side... youd be in trouble.. but if its flat how much can it really pool up before it finds its way down the oil drain? i guess someone could calculate that if they wanted to, surface area within the x miniscus?? or whatever of engine oil. im pretty happy to just go with.. hardly any..

ever looked at a 2s? or a 4age?

oil drainage isnt a "problem", not on a gen 2 anyway. i guess if you really werent sure youd do what you did, so.. yeah.. but that 86 has been running with that engine for a long time without any problems.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

dimitri i use to run a gen 2 motor in the 45 and i had drain backs at the back of head and btw no 2 and 3 on the exhaust if you are using a w57 box and gen2&3 3sge the motor leans over to the exhaust side 20mm out of level and was racing these up to 8500 rpm 1st we put a oil restricter in the cyl head to stop to much oil to the head from 6mm back to 2mm and dash 12 oil drain lines to the sump this solves the oil problem gen 4 3sge are fwd i used 1 but they are all rwd cyl heads anyway so there is no issue with the fwd and rwd beams as they have a oil restrictor in the head gasket

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

(hopefully not a dumb question) where does the 3sge have a connection for oil to the turbo?

If it's on the head (like my 1G-GTE heads) i'd be worried about putting a restrictor in the oil flow up to the head? if it's not fed from the head then pleaz ignore this q.
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

Founding ****** Automotive Encyclopaedia Mos's Avatar

i do expect it to burn less fuel... is that unreasonable? ive never owned a v8 but i guess if your mostly tootling a 2L engine around off boost most of the time(as you do with regular driving).. your going to be using less fuel than tootling around a 4L (+) v8.
    What Peewee said Will be interesting to see the difference, so let us know in two years time

insurance.. similar boat id expect.. i am just turned 25 with a "colourfull" driving history.. nothings going to be easy.. so i dont.. hah.
    I believe the atmo 4L will be cheaper and easier to insure than a turbo.. unfortunate turbo tax... I didn't get quotes for a 2L turbo though, but will try and see what the difference is. My driving history is pretty bland

your comparision is fair, but i dont know if youre understanding of my motivations. theyre not purely based on initial purchase price, its about balance, and also the type of engine i appreciate. i like that era of engine engineering. theyre simple, theres nothing there that doesnt need(for lack of a better word) to be there.

i like carburettors too BTW (as well as efi)
    Fair enough I guess I like technology, hence the push for a VVTi engine.
    When you say balance, do you mean chassis balance or balance of compromises?
    Would it be fair to say that you like the engine and are seeking a decent chassis to put it into?
    For me it's I love the car, but it's grossly underpowered - with the 1G it's about as powerful as a 4AGE sprinter (which I had, and collected parts for a gen2 3S swap ). Personally I guess I feel the *XE10 chassis is too heavy for a 2L...

i dont think i ever said its the ultimate engine, but its the one id use, and for me for valid reasons. a v8 gxe10 is still an awesome car.. but id rather a cam'd turbo 3s one every day of the week.
    Nah, you just said a V8 is madness
    Ultimate engine depends on many variables, as you say.. for me the choice wasn't that difficult - I wanted factory reliability, no loss of handling, decent power increase over stock. One factor, reliability, more or less meant it couldn't be turbo (I had a factory turbo bend a shaft 200km from home - slow trip back); because I use the car for work on a daily basis I wanted to decrease potential problems [resulting from modifications].
    Horses for courses

I think OlmanRA23 wants to twincharge a 3S and stick it in an IS200

Mos.
    Admin, I.T., Founding Member, Toymods Car Club Inc.
    2000 IS200 Sports Luxury 1UZ-FE VVTi, 1991 MX83 Grande 2JZ-GTE (sold)

Toymods Club Member #194 Conversion King Lambolica's Avatar

I think also that with the current rules the engine needs to be the same age or newer than the car it's going into for emissions however I don't really know how clear cut this line is when it comes to long production run engines.

Sadly you couldn't put an 18R-G into the IS200 as that would be the ultimate package (if the IS200's drive line is up to the task.)

with the pricing and relative ease that this conversion looks to be, this combo may well be the next 1j into Cressida type conversion as the prices of the IS drop into "Toymoders" teritory. I for 1 am waiting with baited breath to see how this turns out, as Mos has mentioned it is the reliability issue that makes this swap interesting to me, More power, similar handling, probably similar fuel economy.

Cheers
    Simon
    Beige.... The new Black!!!

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

lambolica why would you put a boat anchor in the is200 a gen 5 3sgte motor would be the way to go ,no disy issues and they make about 270 ps std

Founding ****** Automotive Encyclopaedia Mos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lambolica
    I think also that with the current rules the engine needs to be the same age or newer than the car it's going into for emissions however I don't really know how clear cut this line is when it comes to long production run engines.
    The resulting package has to meet the emissions of whichever component is newer - ie engine or car (in NSW). Some engineers will not let you use an older engine, but that is their own personal preference and not regulatory.
    So depending on the engineer, in theory it shouldn't be a problem to use an early 90s 3S-GTE, as long as it passes 200* emissions - with a rebuild and aftermarket computer this should not be a problem (pending engineer's acceptance of said aftermarket computer ).

Quote Originally Posted by Lambolica
    with the pricing and relative ease that this conversion looks to be, this combo may well be the next 1j into Cressida type conversion as the prices of the IS drop into "Toymoders" teritory. I for 1 am waiting with baited breath to see how this turns out, as Mos has mentioned it is the reliability issue that makes this swap interesting to me, More power, similar handling, probably similar fuel economy.
    A 1JZ into an IS200 is probably easier... but they are the next chassis of choice (I just couldn't wait ). Although I think it will be a while before they start popping up for 5-10k

Quote Originally Posted by Celica RA45
    lambolica why would you put a boat anchor in the is200 a gen 5 3sgte motor would be the way to go ,no disy issues and they make about 270 ps std
    He's just stirring, just like River was in another IS200 thread

Mos.
    Admin, I.T., Founding Member, Toymods Car Club Inc.
    2000 IS200 Sports Luxury 1UZ-FE VVTi, 1991 MX83 Grande 2JZ-GTE (sold)

Toymods Club Member #194 Conversion King Lambolica's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celica RA45
    I in no way shape of form disagree with you there... Would I be correct in saying that you are refering to a BEAMS 3S-GE that is then turboed? or is there a gen 5 GTE?(recent Caldina?) I'm not up on the 3S's generations I've only just started looking into them for my project. Yes this would be a pretty awsome package, but I'm having enough trouble traacking down a BEAMS 3SGE front cut.

I'm seriously hung over today and I'm feeling pretty random. the brain isn't really firing on all cylinders. I'm going to stop posting now before I say somthing really dumb... If I haven't already.

Cheers
    Simon
    Beige.... The new Black!!!

balance i mean handling. as far as liking the car/motor.. hmm its more like i still want a toyota but want to take the next step.. right now i drive an ae86, i see a turbo 3s xe10 as a good move foward in all area's.. but still somewhat in the same vein.. more power and a chassis that can handle it.. but still possible to be driven in a similar way/similar terrain.

p.s it is madness(IMHO).. but the actual driving enjoyment would no doubt still be there.