Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternatives for Altezza IS200

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Alternatives for Altezza IS200

Hi, I want to find out, of the three engines, 3S-GTE , IJZ-GTE (MKII) and 2JZ-GTE, which would be more sensible to be converted into an IS200?

I have seen 3S-GTE conversion done in Malaysia, 1JZ-GTE done in Japan and 2JZ-GTE in Japan as well as the States, but as far as I am concerned, the 3S-GTE would be the cheapest of all, but I would like to know what gearbox should be used if the 3S-GTE conversion was chosen, since the most reliable and the most powerful of stock 3S-GTE comes from the Celica ST185/205 GT4 versions with horizontal layout mounting.

The 1JZ-GTE will certainly opened up a whole new challenge and excitement but why not choose 2JZ-GTE with the extra 500cc and the size does not differ very much, but I would assume the 2JZ-GTE will be very costly, however I am concerned if the 6-speed gearbox off the 2JZ-GTE will get into the conversion.

Can anyone of you here with experiences in Altezza conversion please share your experiences and recommendations?

Default Re: Alternatives for Altezza IS200

I'm not sure of the laws in SA, but if they are anything like NSW be aware that the engine must be the same age or newer than the car it's going into. Unless of course you can pull a swifty on the registering authority.

There is a nice IS200 with a 1JZ-GTE in the car park here at work owned by one of the guys off this forum, I'll let him chime in.

Darren.
    Honest honey, I'm just changing the oil this time!!

Junior Member Domestic Engineer urantia's Avatar

Is that koffee?

Personally i'd go with what greame (daliesh? sorry spelling) did with his altezza, 1jz-vvti with getrag 6 speed. He has all the info you'd need to pull the conversion off. 2jz would be nice too.

This combination is ultimatly what i'm after. luxury and performance.
    98 3rz-fe Hilux 4x4
    97 Hiace AWD Super Custom 1kz turbo diesel (sold)
    87 MA70 w/ 1JZ-GTE Manual Conversion GT (moss growing on roof deteriorating away but open to offers)

Forum Member Domestic Engineer Nark's Avatar

Why just those three engines?

You could drop in the 3S-GE from an Altezza/RS200 (an IS200 is not an Altezza).
    Or you could swap in the 1UZ-FE or 3UZ-FE?
    Max
    NB8B MX-5 | Fulcrum-tuned Tein SS coilovers | Weldwell Engineering 4 point Rollbar | DBA 4000 slotted rotors | Goodridge braided lines
    MY11 Skoda Octavia RS wagon | 2x ISOFIX seats | Iggle Piggle's blanket | Some breast milk stains

Those 3 engines - reliable turbo-charged engines. 3S-GE is good, but it is even better with 3S-GTE don't you think considering the power and the torque available.

The Altezza is known in most countries in Asian and South East Asian markets but they are being re-badged for the Australian market under IS200. I am not sure how true this extends since I just came to Australia not too long ago, but all of them are badged under Lexus Altezza in the Asian countries.

I am very keen to find out more about the 1JZ conversion into the IS200, seems to be the most common practice in Australia as opposed to putting in the monsterous 2JZ-GTE plant, but the 3S-GTE still offers a better weight distribution don't you guys think?

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Dimitri's Avatar

as mentioned you need to check whether or not even the latest st205 type 3sgte is potentially legal to have fitted a local gxe10. as stated this newest version of the 3sgte still pre dates even the earliest gxe10.

that stated there is a forum user here who has a 1jzgte fitted to his gxe10, it is a non vvt type, so it would be fair to assume his engine is older than his car. so obviously there are way around it.

all that being stated if i could afford a gxe10 thats the engine i'd want (st205 3sgte).

the obvious gearboxs to accompany that engine in rwd format are either the aisin 6 speed from the JDM RS200 (which came with a gen 5 beams 3sge as factory) or preferably a later model W58 with a bellhousing from an sa63 celica or 3Y powered lite ace van. the later is more desireable as it postions the starter on the drivers side away from the turbo, but does need to be modified to fit a 3s bellhousing patern, one of the top bolt holes needs moving, not terribly dificult.

there is wealth of imformation on converting a 3sgte to rwd on the old forums and pribably up here too. to say the least it is definately not "easy" or "straight forward".

even regular motoring journalists do seem to think the larger 2j as fatory fitted to the later IS300s do upset the balance. not having driven either i cant really comment, but i personally just prefer the idea of the 3sgt, but thats just my personal preferance. there is no mistaking the 1j/2j's are incredible engines.

oh, and im not convinced a 3sgte is going to end up cheaper either. ofcourse it all depends on alot of things but if youre paying an un-initiated workshop to do a rwd'd gen 3 3s in a gxe10 is going to cost big.

another thing i should note is having seen a gen5 3s up close, you will not be able to use the engine mounts from this motor on a gen 3 even if you could aquire them.

also the sump on a gen 5 is much further forward than a gen 3 and will need MASSIVE modification to sit in the same place as a gen5 does from factory. the sump is offset forward of the engine a good 75mm.

Quote Originally Posted by edgar_raphael
    Those 3 engines - reliable turbo-charged engines. 3S-GE is good, but it is even better with 3S-GTE don't you think considering the power and the torque available.
    I suggested the 3S-GE because it already comes in the RS200 so it's a MUCH simpler swap than any of the other engines (short of a 1G-GTE which you can't legally do anyway). 157kW is nothing to sneeze at. Sure the torque will be missing, but it is a much simpler swap...

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri
    even regular motoring journalists do seem to think the larger 2j as fatory fitted to the later IS300s do upset the balance. not having driven either i cant really comment
    I've driven both and I can definately say that the IS300 is unbalanced. Jumping out of the IS200 and into the IS300, I didn't like it one bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri
    oh, and im not convinced a 3sgte is going to end up cheaper either. ofcourse it all depends on alot of things but if youre paying an un-initiated workshop to do a rwd'd gen 3 3s in a gxe10 is going to cost big.
    I reckon it might end up being more expensive than either of the JZ engines.
    Max
    NB8B MX-5 | Fulcrum-tuned Tein SS coilovers | Weldwell Engineering 4 point Rollbar | DBA 4000 slotted rotors | Goodridge braided lines
    MY11 Skoda Octavia RS wagon | 2x ISOFIX seats | Iggle Piggle's blanket | Some breast milk stains

Thanks for the replies guys, and after going through the gearbox issues, I really think the biggest amount of money would be spent here, so it is not very encouraging for me to think further.

Now, if the JZ engines were in plan, do you think the gearbox from the halfcut would fit without major modifications?

Is it even possible to swap the entire 4wd gearbox from the 3S-GTE into the car? Sounds like troubles but could be a whole lot of fun driving a 4wd IS200

Is it even possible to swap the entire 4wd gearbox from the 3S-GTE into the car? Sounds like troubles but could be a whole lot of fun driving a 4wd IS200
    Anything can fit with enough money.

You'd totally ruin the chassis balance of the IS200 though.

As for gearboxes, the R154 has been done successfully by someone who put a VVTi 1JZ-GTE into their IS200. Can't remember his username though.
    Also, if you go for a UZ engine, there are W58 bellhousings for them available.
    And the 2JZ has a W58 bellhousing as well (out of the N/A JZA80s).
    Max

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

IS430 ........... Do It...........
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

if i had one id be doing power fc'd tdo6/gtrs'd, V mount coolered gen3 3sgte, 3y bellhousing and albins close ratio'd w58.

Estranged Member Chief Engine Builder mullett's Avatar

The 1UZ mentioned earlier isn't such a stupid idea. 260hp in standard tune, they weigh LESS than the 3SGTE, are nearly the same length, dirt cheap, and gearboxes aren't hard to come by. Also there's a whole heap of NA mods to get them close to the 400hp mark. As long as you've got the width to fit the engine in.

RM.

The Supreme Backyard Mechanic

if they can fit a 3uz in one, i'm sure the 1uz would fit also, that being said without knowing fully how much work was involved. But still good to know it can be done.

Thanks for the replies guys, and after going through the gearbox issues, I really think the biggest amount of money would be spent here, so it is not very encouraging for me to think further.
    actually that is the easy bit like dimitri said there are a couple of good ways of doing the rwd gearbox, but don't forget you will need a suitable flywheel to match the crank pattern.
    I found the greatest bit of cost and messing around was in making the rwd manifolds and cooling routing. and then theres the old 3sgte missing an engine mount thing.

your best bet would be taniguchi style with a jap beams ge' and a bolt on turbo kit
    SA63-3SGTE coupe driftpig