Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Alternatives for Altezza IS200

Toymods Vice President Chief Engine Builder TheToyman75's Avatar

Default Re: Alternatives for Altezza IS200

Not to revive an old thread but anyone got the gear ratio's for the 3SGTE 6 speed ??
    1971 2T-B Celica TA22 ST.
    1973 2T-G Celica TA22, aka "The Unicorn".
    1975 2T-G Celica TA27 GT
    1976 2T-G Celica TA23, aka "The Colonel".
    1985 3F Auto FJ62 Landcruiser
    1989 7M-GTE MA70 Supra, aka "The Poopra"

History: Rods Classic Celica Sampler thread.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Dimitri's Avatar

ill dig some up i saw posted on another forum wait up...

3.874 , 2.175 , 1.585 , 1.223 , 1.000 , 0.869

is firing on all eight. Carport Converter AndyTTR's Avatar

sorry for digging up an old thread, but nobody's mentioned this yet - aren't there off the shelf turbo / supercharger kits for the RS200 Altezza? If you converted IS200 to Gen 5 3SGE (using a half-cut) and added one of these kits wouldn't it give the easiest result (in terms or the conversion and engineering) while maintaining the weight balance? I'd imagine it wouldn't be the best bang-for-buck alternative though.

Yep they look great Carport Converter gianttomato's Avatar

Good alternative.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota RONA's Avatar

Lexus already did it shame they wouldn't release it
    If in doubt power out

Forum Member Domestic Engineer Nark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 7MA61
    Lexus already did it shame they wouldn't release it
    I think it was just TRD/Rod Millen that did it.
    Max
    NB8B MX-5 | Fulcrum-tuned Tein SS coilovers | Weldwell Engineering 4 point Rollbar | DBA 4000 slotted rotors | Goodridge braided lines
    MY11 Skoda Octavia RS wagon | 2x ISOFIX seats | Iggle Piggle's blanket | Some breast milk stains

Junior Member Too Much Toyota RONA's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nark
    I think it was just TRD/Rod Millen that did it.
    Rod Millen built it but the car was commissioned by Lexus to be built by him for the 2003 SEMA show.

Its a shame really that they didn't produce it, it could of been pitched quite well against say an M3 type sports car
    If in doubt power out

has anyone noticed the price these are going for now? talk about buyers market, which can only be a good thing.

in about 2 years ill be building mine and itll be 3sgte for sure. cant wait.

Founding ****** Automotive Encyclopaedia Mos's Avatar

The cost of a 3SGE front cut is prohibitive - the 1UZ or 3UZ is either the same price or cheaper. A turbo kit will probably set you back more than the half cut...

The 3S has potential to be better balanced, but the torque curve will not be as nice as a UZ. There are a bunch of turbo RS200s running around in NZ - you will have the usual turbo compromises. For the track, a turbo 3S will probably be better (it would still take a lot of development to get 400Nm out of a 3S...), but for a daily driver the UZ will be so very much sweeter.

Commissioned by Lexus is not the same as Lexus building it. Rod Millen built it for Lexus (curious as to who has final ownership...). The engine bay layout does not suit a V8, so for Lexus to "release" it they would need to redesign portions of the chassis and go through the usual problems with crash testing et al - as nice as it sounds, it was never going to happen.

Yeah, they are getting cheaper.

Mos.
    Admin, I.T., Founding Member, Toymods Car Club Inc.
    2000 IS200 Sports Luxury 1UZ-FE VVTi, 1991 MX83 Grande 2JZ-GTE (sold)

for starters. im not talking about using a gen 5. im talking about using a gen 2.

for me persoanlly i think installing a v8 in any car these days is ridiculous. fuel/rego/madness. thats me though

the position im in means if i were to take the route youre describing, the engine/turbo kit is likely to cost less than half of what youre suggesting. no im not dreaming, we've done exactly that already (purchased a beams and a turbo kit for it aswell as an os giken twin plate to suit for less than 5k). theyre already installed in my boss ae86, sans turbo.. just getting a handle on the tuning of it na first.. posted the link in this thread http://toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14418&page=4

either way id probably just use a gen2, with a light rebuild maybe using gen 3 or aftermarket pistons and some cams. turbo something like a gtrs. and an albins syncro'd cr w58. would only be looking to make somewhere between 300-350 hp.

p.s legality. there are ways and means.

Founding ****** Automotive Encyclopaedia Mos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri
    for me persoanlly i think installing a v8 in any car these days is ridiculous. fuel/rego/madness. thats me though
    Wha??!?! you expect a turbo 3S to burn less fuel, be easier to register and insure?!?
    I'm keen to discuss the madness you speak of, without agression, just on genuine merit

I'll suggest another variable - if you're using a gen2 or 3 3S, then you would need to compare it to a first generation 1UZ, which these days can be had for peanuts.
    If we use a VVTi 1UZ or 3UZ, then I'd suggest the Altezza 3S would be a more appropriate comparison. Thoughts?

When you're bringing rebuilds and cams into the equation, the costs go up (as you know), opening up other avenues, such as twin turbo V8s .

Your position and contacts will make any of these swaps easier and cheaper

Mos.
    Admin, I.T., Founding Member, Toymods Car Club Inc.
    2000 IS200 Sports Luxury 1UZ-FE VVTi, 1991 MX83 Grande 2JZ-GTE (sold)

i do expect it to burn less fuel... is that unreasonable? ive never owned a v8 but i guess if your mostly tootling a 2L engine around off boost most of the time(as you do with regular driving).. your going to be using less fuel than tootling around a 4L (+) v8.

rego.. as in cheaper to register.. not easier. its only hard once.. but i dont see that as being ALOT harder. anyone who compliances cars now is soon going to be required to have tools to do the emissions testing.. which makes it cheaper/more accessible. and thats the only extra variable i might have to deal with

insurance.. similar boat id expect.. i am just turned 25 with a "colourfull" driving history.. nothings going to be easy.. so i dont.. hah.

your comparision is fair, but i dont know if youre understanding of my motivations. theyre not purely based on initial purchase price, its about balance, and also the type of engine i appreciate. i like that era of engine engineering. theyre simple, theres nothing there that doesnt need(for lack of a better word) to be there.

i like carburettors too BTW (as well as efi)

as far as the rebuild thing.. its a 4 banger.. i need half the cams and pistons you do, another advantage once again, if you assemble the engine yourself, a rebuild isnt that expensive... and being an I4.. its probably about the easiest automotive engine for an amateur not to get wrong.

i dont think i ever said its the ultimate engine, but its the one id use, and for me for valid reasons. a v8 gxe10 is still an awesome car.. but id rather a cam'd turbo 3s one every day of the week.

is firing on all eight. Carport Converter AndyTTR's Avatar

converting / engineering a gen 2 to work in this chassis will require a lot of work. Why re-invent the wheel when the SXE10 3SGE already comes ready to go?

The mounts are already on the block and the appropriate crossmember is available - there are no mounts other than on the timing belt side of a Gen 2 engine. With then Gen 2 you'll have to look at things like the alternator position, throttle body orientation and changing ignition systems to get rid of that distributor hanging out the back (firewall clearance). Also the Gen 2 has to be mounted on an angle and needs further mods to make it sit right and mate up with the gearbox. The Gen 5 has a much bigger lower crankcase / sump section which is reinforced to suit RWD application. I know we weren't considering cost, nut if you were going to fork out ~$20k on a XE10 Chassis why skimp and put in such an old (and relatively low-tech) engine?

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri
    i do expect it to burn less fuel... is that unreasonable? ive never owned a v8 but i guess if your mostly tootling a 2L engine around off boost most of the time(as you do with regular driving).. your going to be using less fuel than tootling around a 4L (+) v8
    I think you are under estimating just how fuel efficient a 1UZ can be.

Getting 7L/100km is not unheard of with these motors, and thats the non-vvti version.

I would say the VVTi version would be even more efficient.

(Figures are not based on factory 1800kg cars, but conversions, so ~1300kg cars)
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS