Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Alternatives for Altezza IS200

I definitely ain't a Chief Engine Builder wagonist's Avatar

Default Re: Alternatives for Altezza IS200

Quote Originally Posted by Mos
    In terms of getting the weight back, I curious what could cause a 4 banger to *have to* sit further forward than a V8 - if anything, the V8 has more restrictions on placement... I wouldn't expect their respective centres of mass to be far apart along their axes.. anyone?
    Sorry, I was thinking when they replace the 2J in the Supra with a 3S, the V8 would be similar centre of balance to the I4.

Quote Originally Posted by Mos
    SXE10 3S-GE not L, just VVTi, albeit dual. The only VVTi-L engine that I'm aware of is the 2ZZ-GE.
    Mos.
    Learnt something new today. I thought to get that amount of grunt out of it, that the setup would've been similar to the Honda S2000.

Fuel Economy Warrior Carport Converter Vios-GT_07's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by o_man_ra23
    Now theres a drool mobile. Those GS430s are sex on wheels. Mind you, they also make an LS430 which is the bigger brother of the now IS250

Cheers, Owen
    if i'm not mistaken the LS430 has 2 series or different models for different markets. My uncle imported his from Singapore to be used where i'm from, and i've compared that with the LS430 available in showrooms here and in Brunei (where i'm from). and i've noticed my uncle's LS is short by one gear.

Having said that, the LS430 in all its 2 tons of glory can accelerate from 0 to 100 in 6 seconds flat and whooping a mildly tuned S-15. However, i drag against a Mercedes SEL500 (those bulletproof tanks thing) and was a complete loss.. almost 1.5 seconds off the quartermile.. grrr.. then again the LS430 has more buttons everywhere than a UFO..
    Research has shown child in front seat causes accidents, accident in back seat causes child

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

Yes, the LS430 is a fast machine. The cruise control in them is allowed to use up to 1/8th of a G in acceleration, and close to that for deceleration. It can also control the brakes if on a steep decline. Now, for those who dont know how fast 1/8th of a G will accelerate you, an E49 chrysler charger, with the most bombed up 4.3L straight six available at the time could reach a maximum acceleration of 1/8th of a G... and they were no slow coach car. So in short, the LS430 in cruise mode (set pretty high obviously) can out-accelerate an E49 racing Charger.

Makes you want a 3UZ-FE dont it??

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

1/8th of a G is a lot?

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

Skyline GTR pulls 1/2G under acceleration.

So no, 1/8th isn't a lot.
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

ya well he's pointing out 1/8 G in CRUISE mode i.e. computer controlled acceleration.. it's quite scary too coz i left it in cruise at 175, and when we came up to an inclination in the road i.e. uphill, got a bit shocked coz it just kept going and felt like going faster.

pretty sure u get a fair bit more than that if u plant the pedal down... 6 seconds to 100 should equal a decent amount of Gs and considering it's able to swallow the speedometer right to the end with a full load says a fair bit about it.
    Research has shown child in front seat causes accidents, accident in back seat causes child

Quote Originally Posted by Vios-GT_07
    ya well he's pointing out 1/8 G in CRUISE mode i.e. computer controlled acceleration.. it's quite scary too coz i left it in cruise at 175, and when we came up to an inclination in the road i.e. uphill, got a bit shocked coz it just kept going and felt like going faster.

pretty sure u get a fair bit more than that if u plant the pedal down... 6 seconds to 100 should equal a decent amount of Gs and considering it's able to swallow the speedometer right to the end with a full load says a fair bit about it.
    My point exactly. Lets see a GTR pull 2 ton plus load eh??
    Cheers, Owen
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

All that means is that the LS430's cruise actuator has more oomph and throw than most cars.
    Peewee
    2013 86 GTS

the LS430's cruise has more oomph than most cars' overall oomph. I would like to see the stats of somebody giving one full boot. Should get over a 1/4 of a G... not bad for a big heavy car with 2 airconditioners, power steering and a big arse alternator hanging off it.

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen

Forum Member

Without having read this whole thread, and without being sure what year your IS200 is, I would have figured a 3SGTE would go in easier... but the last of these was from the japanese caldina in 2002 from what I can tell.

http://www.cars-directory.net/specs/...a/2002_9/2028/

Food for thought...

Quote Originally Posted by o_man_ra23
    the LS430's cruise has more oomph than most cars' overall oomph. I would like to see the stats of somebody giving one full boot. Should get over a 1/4 of a G... not bad for a big heavy car with 2 airconditioners, power steering and a big arse alternator hanging off it.

Cheers, Owen
    i did drag one a few times actually.. but didn't have the RSM or G-sensor on me.. had a stopwatch though.. and yea.. 0-100 is definitely 6 seconds if not less.. (4 people and golf-bags)..

whooped an S-15 among them.. and yea like i mentioned b4 it'd reach the end of the speedo, all u have to do is ask.. the bullet-proof mercedes is still faster though..

if that was in an IS200... and the IS200 is the new AE-86 then wow... imagine the drift-scene... no more flooring to go sideways..!

and having said that, i'd say the LS430's mechanical package is nothing short of impressive. the diff is definitely on my wishlist..

A complete LS430 is on my wishlist.
    Peewee
    2013 86 GTS

Thats been discussed, read the rest of the thread. The RWD conversion involved becomes the PITA unless you can do most of the work yourself.

Cheers, Owen

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Black
    Without having read this whole thread, and without being sure what year your IS200 is, I would have figured a 3SGTE would go in easier... but the last of these was from the japanese caldina in 2002 from what I can tell.

Food for thought...
    Cheers, Owen

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Black

Food for thought...
    and those caldinas are still available....

as for the emissions thing... emisions of engine package must meet that of the car or the engine (ie you can't make either worse).. and proving you meet emissions will depend on the engineer... and the RTA/EPA later...
    anyone feel like reading the NCOP?
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Forum Member Domestic Engineer Nark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrUZida
    A complete LS430 is on my wishlist.
    I want 2!!!
    Max
    NB8B MX-5 | Fulcrum-tuned Tein SS coilovers | Weldwell Engineering 4 point Rollbar | DBA 4000 slotted rotors | Goodridge braided lines
    MY11 Skoda Octavia RS wagon | 2x ISOFIX seats | Iggle Piggle's blanket | Some breast milk stains