Thread: Alternatives for Altezza IS200

Founding ****** Automotive Encyclopaedia Mos's Avatar

Default Re: Alternatives for Altezza IS200

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan
    How about an ecotec V6?
    Quote Originally Posted by sebatron
    ls1 ftw.
    You two should be banned from driving toyotas

FWIW Brad Bedell (Yellow IS300->IS400) considered an LS7 engine but chose the 1UZ due to potential customers (see my.is forums)

Mos.
    Admin, I.T., Founding Member, Toymods Car Club Inc.
    2000 IS200 Sports Luxury 1UZ-FE VVTi, 1991 MX83 Grande 2JZ-GTE (sold)

Fuel Economy Warrior Carport Converter Vios-GT_07's Avatar

IS 430 anyone??
    Research has shown child in front seat causes accidents, accident in back seat causes child

Quote Originally Posted by Vios-GT_07
    IS 430 anyone??
    Would be awesome, but not cost effective - although I haven't priced one up myself others have and I suspect they cried.
    Mos.

Quote Originally Posted by Mos
    Would be awesome, but not cost effective - although I haven't priced one up myself others have and I suspect they cried.
    Mos.
    they did release the IS 430 in japan if it's not a very rare model to have.. but yea i mean the IS430 out of factory.. which makes this conversion pointless?
    Research has shown child in front seat causes accidents, accident in back seat causes child

UZA80 Automotive Encyclopaedia horse's Avatar

or you can stick with the same chassis but transplant a 3UZ-FE instead, though it'd be damn hard to find, not to mention damn expensive

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

If your handy with fabrication, 3SGTE FTW!!

Looking at the 1UZ transplant photos just makes me cringe at the lack of room between the heads and the strut towers. Gearbox is easy, $650 will get you a W58 with Y bellhousing, easy mod on the stray hole. Add a 1 in front and you should get an Altezza S series 6 cogger. Caldina 3SGTE sounds good, but availability could be another story. ST205 Gen 3 sounds good also, but is missing a rib off the block due to the 4WD box.

Something I want to play with later on is a sequential dual turbo Beams dual VVTLi motor

Completely custom engine, only should be attempted by serious do it yourselfers (with some ability to do custom research and design work), but the outcome would be a turbo motor with a torque curve that looks like ayers rock, starting at about idle, and moving up past the 8000rpm mark... doesnt matter what speed your doing or what gear your in... you have torque on tap!! If anyone beats me to doing this engine conversion, i will be a very seriously dissapointed MOFO, so dont do it till after i have!!

I guess what i am trying to do is push onto you my bias toward the 3SGTE engine (4 cyls is a perfect number IMHO) due to its compactish size, and amazing upgradability.

Cheers, Oman.
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Dimitri's Avatar

i havent re read so maybe it wasnt me you were refering too, but i dont think i said the gen3 3s was the most powerfull, only the the most desireable to me. i wasnt actually aware of the later caldina engines before posting though.

if you describe the later caldina engines as gen 4, does that mean they are VVTi? if this is the case personally i dont see the point in the complexity.

i wasnt really trying to argue that a 3sgt would be the best engine either, but a gen 3 would be my pick. the engine itself just has the best/my prefered blend/level of technology. and for me the car needs to be lighter and become more sporty/less luxury focused, not just powered up.

I definitely ain't a Chief Engine Builder wagonist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri
    i havent re read so maybe it wasnt me you were refering too, but i dont think i said the gen3 3s was the most powerfull, only the the most desireable to me. i wasnt actually aware of the later caldina engines before posting though.

if you describe the later caldina engines as gen 4, does that mean they are VVTi? if this is the case personally i dont see the point in the complexity.

i wasnt really trying to argue that a 3sgt would be the best engine either, but a gen 3 would be my pick. the engine itself just has the best/my prefered blend/level of technology. and for me the car needs to be lighter and become more sporty/less luxury focused, not just powered up.
    If you're talking about my post, I was actually replying to the original poster's point about the ST205 being the most powerful/best/reliable.
    Mos might be able to correct this one, but I believe the 1UZ is actually lighter than a 3S because of the alloy block (but the weight could possibly be slighter further back though)

The only VVT(L)i 3S is the NA version in the Altezza.
    I kind of doubt that the 3S-GTE will be in the next Caldina. its body shape will run out in a year or so, & the US version, the Matrix, has the 2ZZ-GE in it.

Current UZA80 owner Chief Engine Builder JustCallMeOrlando's Avatar

they did release the IS 430 in japan if it's not a very rare model to have.. but yea i mean the IS430 out of factory.. which makes this conversion pointless?
    What are you talking about? There is no such factory backed model as an IS430. TTE in Europe, and Rod Millen in the US both built one each, but they were never an actual model.
    Teh UZA80 - Project Century - Remotely p00'd by association

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Dimitri's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wagonist
    If you're talking about my post, I was actually replying to the original poster's point about the ST205 being the most powerful/best/reliable.
    Mos might be able to correct this one, but I believe the 1UZ is actually lighter than a 3S because of the alloy block (but the weight could possibly be slighter further back though)

I kind of doubt that the 3S-GTE will be in the next Caldina. its body shape will run out in a year or so, & the US version, the Matrix, has the 2ZZ-GE in it.
    yeah thought you were replying to me.

there is no variable lift on any 3s. gen 4 is single constantly varying timing. gen 5 is dual, but no varying lift.

anyway gen 3 FTW

I don't know the weights for sure - I tell you what, if someone can either lend me a 200kg hanging scale or tell me where to hire/buy one, I'll weigh the 3S-GTE that's in the shed, and the 1UZ when it arrives
    (But I doubt the 1UZ is lighter than 4 cylinder given it's rumoured to be of similar weight to a 1G-GTE)
    In terms of getting the weight back, I curious what could cause a 4 banger to *have to* sit further forward than a V8 - if anything, the V8 has more restrictions on placement... I wouldn't expect their respective centres of mass to be far apart along their axes.. anyone?
    SXE10 3S-GE not L, just VVTi, albeit dual. The only VVTi-L engine that I'm aware of is the 2ZZ-GE.
    Mos.

Forum Member Domestic Engineer Nark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JustCallMeFrank
    What are you talking about? There is no such factory backed model as an IS430. TTE in Europe, and Rod Millen in the US both built one each, but they were never an actual model.
    I think he was regurgitating something that someone's brother's cousin's dog read on the Internet.
    Max
    NB8B MX-5 | Fulcrum-tuned Tein SS coilovers | Weldwell Engineering 4 point Rollbar | DBA 4000 slotted rotors | Goodridge braided lines
    MY11 Skoda Octavia RS wagon | 2x ISOFIX seats | Iggle Piggle's blanket | Some breast milk stains

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mos
    (But I doubt the 1UZ is lighter than 4 cylinder given it's rumoured to be of similar weight to a 1G-GTE)
    1UZ will be within 10kg (on the heavier side) of a 1GGTE.
    Roughly 175kg.

1UZ is also only 2.5-3" shorter than an M
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

Quote Originally Posted by JustCallMeFrank
    hm.. u're right... sorry my bad..

was thinking along the lines of the GS430 which is available in Lexus showrooms..

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

hm.. u're right... sorry my bad..

was thinking along the lines of the GS430 which is available in Lexus showrooms..
    Now theres a drool mobile. Those GS430s are sex on wheels. Mind you, they also make an LS430 which is the bigger brother of the now IS250

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.