Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternatives for Altezza IS200

Current UZA80 owner Chief Engine Builder JustCallMeOrlando's Avatar

Default Re: Alternatives for Altezza IS200

Quote Originally Posted by mullett
    they weigh LESS than the 3SGTE
    I agree with your other points but this is wrong. The 1UZ weighs around the 175kg mark, which is the same as a 1GGTE, and there is no way a 3S weighs the same
    Teh UZA80 - Project Century - Remotely p00'd by association

Former User Conversion King Joshstix's Avatar

Just wait for some people in Japan to start crashing IS350's and get a 2GR-FSE for it. They are a nice engine, 310hp all alloy V6.

I make people cry Chief Engine Builder Draven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joshstix
    Just wait for some people in Japan to start crashing IS350's and get a 2GR-FSE for it. They are a nice engine, 310hp all alloy V6.
    I love that mentality
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=7465
    Quote Originally Posted by xero View Post
    and of course campbell newman's completely fucking everything he touches so badly that he should be called dick fingers.

Rest in Peace Conversion King ViPeR_NiPPleX's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joshstix
    It's got my vote

Gorilla Industries Conversion King Koffee-Black's Avatar

The reason I went 1j, is purley cheaper, easy to get parts, and not as brutal as a 2j. The 2J is too strong for t he driveline in the IS200, the stock LSD Altezza diff, was the only thing that survived, after a worn clutch, 2 sets of turbos, an engine and a w58 gearbox.

Engineer was fine with it too! I really miss it, and the Supra TT I have now, is nothing compared to it, it terms ofhandling and speed (Yet heheh)

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Thread revival...

Anyone know if the 1UZFE will fit in width wise? Because that sounds like a very nice ride to me, a IS200 with the power it should have had.

Toymods Club Member #194 Conversion King Lambolica's Avatar

It's tight but not impossible....

Last edited by Lambolica; 07-06-2006 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Not proof viewing photos
    Beige.... The new Black!!!

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

Cept shot 2 and 3 there had the 2JZ in the pic...
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

UZA80 Automotive Encyclopaedia horse's Avatar

Toymods Club Member #194 Conversion King Lambolica's Avatar

Oppsy My bad.... All fixed.
    Beige.... The new Black!!!

I definitely ain't a Chief Engine Builder wagonist's Avatar

To clear up some mistakes made earlier (if anyone's still reading this thread):
    The ST205 is not the most powerful 3S-GTE, the ST215 Caldina had 195kW & the ST246 Caldina had 206kW.

Also, the ST205 gearbox won't fit an IS/Altezza as its made for an east-west engine layout, the IS is north-south.
    You can get an Altezza Gita (wagon) 2JZ-GE 4wd 5spd auto

I definitely ain't a Chief Engine Builder wagonist's Avatar

oh yeah, the Gen IV onwards 3S-GTEs from these Caldinas should be new enough for legality.
    ST215 is 97-02, ST246 is 02-
    Good luck finding these motors though.
    Also, both of these are east-west, so inlet & exhaust manifolds will most likely need mods to fit north-south

Boobs!!! Automotive Encyclopaedia Stefan's Avatar

How about an ecotec V6?

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

ls1 ftw.

i'd go the 1uz just for something quite unexpected.

Founding ****** Automotive Encyclopaedia Mos's Avatar

Hi,

For NSW (or so it was not so long ago) the RTA website (at the time when I looked at it) said NOWHERE that it's illegal to put an older engine in a younger car - it just said it's not a good idea. Basically if the engine passes emissions for the younger car all is fine - hence it's a better idea to get a younger engine as the chance of passing is much higher.

From a practical perspective, if a 1992 1UZ-FE passes 2002 year emissions, then a 95 or so 1UZ-FE should have no problems passing the same emissions, depending on the year of your IS200 (mine is 2000, so I didn't care much past that date ).

From another practical side, some engineers will insist the engine must be newer, and others will be happy as long as it passes emissions. An engineer has to be comfortable with the swap you're doing so you just have to find the right one. One engineer's first (and only) comment was "yeah, it's fine, car's heavy enough" Only after questioning emissions he clarified he couldn't see how a mid 90s japanese 1UZ would not be able to pass current emissions provided everything is fine with it and it has all the japanese emission gear.

If you remember Andrew's Rav4 with the gen3 3SGTE, the car was a 99, the engine was 95ish, fully engineered in NSW.

In terms of ideal engine for the IS200, there is only one correct answer (Okay, maybe a few, but they are all in the UZ family )

If you want to go turbo, I don't think it would take too much convincing that a TT 1UZ would be the most ideal engine. Weight nicely back, not upsetting the handling, plenty of power potential. (Pre-VVTi engine more suitable due to stronger bottom end, and conveniently cheaper).

If you want to go with a factory turbo engine, both the 1JZ and 2JZ in their many variants will affect the handling compared to a shorter engine - whether that really is a practical concern is up to the individual as I'm sure Koffee or Graham don't complain about handling (Just don't ask Nark ;p)
    There's plenty of experience around for those swaps.

A 3S-GTE, while sounding easy is likely to be as much of a PITA as in any other RWD setup. The amount of fabrication required will make things like engine mounts feel like a walk in the park, so a factory S engine doesn't really help much (from my POV anyway - have done research for a RWD 3S-GTE project in the past). The benefit of a factory S gearbox being available is erased by the fact that most people chasing power are likely to break it (and it won't be easy to find in the first place).

For atmo, you probably wouldn't bother with a 2JZ-GE - just buy an IS300 - and certainly not a 1JZ-GE.
    A 3S-GE only really makes sense if you are able to find a complete SXE10 half cut, and swap *everything*, looms and all, to make it run like factory with all factory accessories working correctly (little effort required). An engine package may plug in electrically, but you're on your own if things don't work easily (if you get different year models, things like portions of the cluster might not work).

The UZs are another obvious option, with (practically speaking) the most power and torque available from an atmo engine and a bonus that no one will accuse you of upsetting the weight balance

The pre-vvti 1UZ's, while not ideal in the strictest sense, are still a damn fine engine that will power along an IS200 without any problems whatsoever. It will give you plenty of improvement over the 1G without the (relative) hassle associated with turbos. Wiring is also easy.

The VVTi 1UZs would be a better choice but their availability and cost, at least at the moment, makes them more of a wish than an alternative. Wiring is also expected to be more of a biatch than pretty much all the other engines.

The 3UZ, while perhaps most ideal, is only surpassed by the 2GR-FSE in availability (and wiring would also be in total control honey).

The 2GR-FSE, (to appease Josh ) would be lush. Integrating it would be an absolute nightmare! To maintain factory management one would probably have to start with a whole donor car. To keep all the benefits of that engine one thing you'd need is the however many thousand PSI of fuel pressure to run the direct injection. Is aftermarket management an option?

My personal preference is the 1UZ for many reasons (which I'm struggling to convey succinctly in this post). In summary, I feel it's the best compromise of power and handling while maintaining driveability and reliability, without limiting one's thirst for either of the first two if one gets bored.

Thoughts anyone?

Mos.
    Admin, I.T., Founding Member, Toymods Car Club Inc.
    2000 IS200 Sports Luxury 1UZ-FE VVTi, 1991 MX83 Grande 2JZ-GTE (sold)