Thread: 4age aftermarket WP pulley

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Default 4age aftermarket WP pulley

so i went and got myself one of them fancy R1 Wurks underdrive waterpump pulleys and its great, i've had it for a while sitting around as i have been planning and gathering for my build now that its time to assemble i find that this pulley is for a rwd setup and i am putting in my MR2 which we all know is fwd setup (even though its a rwd car) and the damn thing dont line up. I currently am using a S/T water pump. Now i can put in a spacer plate to make it line up but if there is another option without putting in extra parts I would like to know.

please help if you can.

also off topic... i know there are sites out there with info on running DLI but im having a heck of a time finding them again. if you know the links please post
    Quote Originally Posted by merc-blue
    Cheap tools take all the fun out of working on a car.
    My Rebuild and Conversion.... '81 Tercel 3A -> 4A-GE 20 Valve - ON HOLD.
    BAD ASS 1986 MR2 - Finally Moving forward.

AVGAS DRINKING Carport Converter 30psi 4agte's Avatar

Default Re: 4age aftermarket WP pulley

Spacing the pulley out puts excessive load on the pump bearings and they end up flogging out pretty quick....Not to say it cant be done but be warned.

What did you pay for the pulley ?

Quote Originally Posted by 30psi 4agte
    Spacing the pulley out puts excessive load on the pump bearings and they end up flogging out pretty quick....Not to say it cant be done but be warned.

What did you pay for the pulley ?
    yeah, i figured a spacer would create some problems, thats why im searching for another solution.

i paid $36US for the pulley and got a matching one for the alternator for $32US plus shipping of course. they are pretty trick, MUCH lighter than the OEM oversized enough so that i can "just" fit the oem pulley inside the R1 unit, if i cannot find a way to make this work it may be going up for sale. im planning on doing a rundown of costs involved in my build. im sure im up there in the thousands of dollar range and am not willing to chance blowing something over using it/not. I will be going strong after the holidays and hope to be dropping (well lifting actually) the engine in to the mr2 mid-late february. sigh..... its been a long road to get here and i still have so far to go.

DIY Bloodline Domestic Engineer Talasas's Avatar

Yes I am sorry to say, from experience, that when it comes to FWD or RWD pulleys on a 4AGE, it's better to not mix and match, best to get the correct one in the first place. It can be a royal pain trying to get it to work otherwise.
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move." -HHGG

i wrote the Automotive Encyclopaedia roadsailing's Avatar

if the spacer makes it line up with where the belt would be anyway, i dont see any issues in terms of bearing load etc, you are just making the belt groove go where it is on the original pump right?

i can understand the issue if you used the wrong pump for an engine, but if the belt runs true i dont see an issue at all
    like to drift? live in victoria?
    www.vicdrift.com

now targeting: targets

formerly shinybluesteel

Roflcopter Pilot Backyard Mechanic thu187's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shinybluesteel
    if the spacer makes it line up with where the belt would be anyway, i dont see any issues in terms of bearing load etc, you are just making the belt groove go where it is on the original pump right?

i can understand the issue if you used the wrong pump for an engine, but if the belt runs true i dont see an issue at all
    I was thinking the same thing
    [T]echnology is the only [R]eplacement for [D]isplacement

Drift barge master Backyard Mechanic orestes's Avatar

buy a rwd pump.
    MZ-10/GZ-10 hybrid turbo rolling shell, RB30 powered
    IS200 - 1GFE

well if i do use a spacer i will be welding it to the pump, oddly enough i have a ring thats part of a kit for mounting an antenna(am/fm) to the side of your house that fits perfectly (weird how shit you collect over the years ends up being useful) im only concerned since i've blown bearings on a couple of pumps on my 3a.

just thinking here... what about running an inline electrical pump that only kicks in if the mechanical fails......... ive had a few....... running over a certain temp, wired to some sort of warning light, at least you could limp home....

orestes, valid idea but how would that affect the alignment of the crank/alternator.....

uggghhh...... all this little shit is starting to get to me, its a good thing ive allocated more money to this than my wife knows

if i can get back to basics here, whats the math on waterpump power drain?

i'm sober now, please forgive my drunken idiot state in previous post. Im gonna play around with a couple of things and see how it works out.