Page 2 of 85 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: 3T GTE Tech

Forum Sponsor Conversion King

Default Re: 3T GTE Tech

Quote Originally Posted by kugzs
    Linden, im happy to let my car as the stock 3tgte to test on.
    no worries PM me about it, as long as it has standard ecu,ignitor and knock box. testing with an aftermarket ecu is useless as most ppl wouldn't set it the same as factory (that is if the factory ignitor runs leading/trailing but i doubt it).

cheers
    linden
    Quote Originally Posted by WHITCHY
    Prefer someone around the Sydney area but will travel a few hours for a good box!

Sucks to be a Domestic Engineer YelloRolla's Avatar

It seems that we have thrown around some ideas, thoughts, theories and practices on the ignition front; which is good.

Does anyone have any info on more 3T GTE tech? IE what you have tried and how it worked.

I have edited, and will continue to edit the first post as I have time, adding details of what I have done and where possible I will quantify the results, so please look back at the first post now and then to see if there has been anymore input.
    YelloRolla's KE20 1/4mi = 11.32 @ 119mph @ 22psi on slicks
    12.44 @ 113 mph on 165 wide street tyres
    210rwkw - not bad for a smelly 3TGTE running pump fuel.

One formula that I like to use when comparing the results of work that I have done to my engine is this - I look at power output relative to engine capacity over boost + atmospheric pressure (I have used 14.7psi for atmospheric).

EG 1.77L capacity - stock power ~95 rwkw - 14.7 + 7psi. Total rwkw per litre per psi = 95 divided by 21.7 divided by 1.77 = 2.473rwkw per litre/psi.

Modified power = 209 div by 36.7 divided by 1.81 = 3.146rwkw (litre/psi)

Forum Sponsor Conversion King

probly better off also working out average power also.

you could build a 350rwkw 3t that has less average power than a 150rwkw 3t, ie it doesnt make power till 6500 but when it does it goes hard compared to the 150rwkw car that is already 4 car lengths in front by that stage because it has better pulling power down low.

just a thought.

i dont play with 3t's so ill leave this thread now

cheers
    linden
    Quote Originally Posted by WHITCHY
    Prefer someone around the Sydney area but will travel a few hours for a good box!

That is not too bad an idea, but one would then need to get a power graph through to where power drop off is quite marked and average power would then be largely dependent on the rpm scope that we are looking at (IE we would need to quantify what rpm scope that the average power is taken) OR we could offer up the power at 3 or 4 rpm points and nominate the power at those points (IE at 4000rpm it makes W, at 5000rpm it makes X, and at 6000rpm it makes Y and 7000rpm Z).

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

just compare the torque per (L x absolute manifold pressure) which is effectively VE..
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Junior Member Grease Monkey kojab's Avatar

Just interested to know what brand, type (projected nose, retracted) and heat range of spark plugs people are using with High boost (15 psi +) with the 3T-GTE engine.

15 years ago I was using Champion C57C retracted type .025" gap 24 lb boost on 98 Octane fuel.

Considering trying NGK brand.

Any comments?

I use the retracted nose type plugs - generally NGK BPR7ES. I have not experimented on the dyno or track though, they have worked for me. My tuner consistently asks for colder plugs for tuning.

Oh and I run gaps at 0.8 (.032")

Lick my hairy Backyard Mechanic Turdinator's Avatar

Just out of curiosity does anyone have a pic of the 3t-gte combustion chamber? Is it a hemi like most of the other t series?

awesome. been waiting for this. consider me subscribed.

Toymods Vice President Chief Engine Builder TheToyman75's Avatar

I don't have a pic handy but yes they are the same basic chemi style combustion chamber as most T series engines
    1971 2T-B Celica TA22 ST.
    1973 2T-G Celica TA22, aka "The Unicorn".
    1975 2T-G Celica TA27 GT
    1976 2T-G Celica TA23, aka "The Colonel".
    1985 3F Auto FJ62 Landcruiser
    1989 7M-GTE MA70 Supra, aka "The Poopra"

History: Rods Classic Celica Sampler thread.

how much is Too Much Toyota JustenGT8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by YelloRolla
    Kojab for one had the first 3T GTE I ever seen. I think that it was 1992 and Dick's car ran mid/early 13's, this car was inspirational for my build up.
    [/B]
    You youngun's , saw my 1st 3TGT back in 85.....personal import and slotted into a TA22. 1st time i'd ever seen twin plugs per cyl and had me doing a big double take.

Not here to contribute much other than point you all in the direction of a Finnish guy by the name of Matti kalahatti (spelling) who knows these things inside out and most of his playing was posted on his web page which is on the toyota webring (or was). We would talk Toyota 4 cly turbos almost daily early to mid 90's with another dude from the US into 22RE turbos.
    Lily Simpson 6.7.2010
    R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by JustenGT8
    You youngun's , saw my 1st 3TGT back in 85.....personal import and slotted into a TA22. 1st time i'd ever seen twin plugs per cyl and had me doing a big double take.

Not here to contribute much other than point you all in the direction of a Finnish guy by the name of Matti kalahatti (spelling) who knows these things inside out and most of his playing was posted on his web page which is on the toyota webring (or was). We would talk Toyota 4 cly turbos almost daily early to mid 90's with another dude from the US into 22RE turbos.
    1985 !!! I was in 5th Grade !

Justen - Matti's was the first 3T-GTE I found any information on, Hows this for a trip down memory lane.
    http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/P...ina.html?20087

I bought my first Celica in 1992 and discovered the twin cam GT spec options from the factory handbook. I didn't manage to get my hands on one for a while tho as I was about to buy one and got distracted by the lure of the "new" RWD Import 16V 4AGE (in 1993) and the Screwdriver adjustable mircoleb was also installed - Thank christ those days are gone lol. Mind you it sure as hell upset the Ford and holden brigade.

But anyway - Back to the 3T-GTE tech and enough of this oldtimer I remember when crap.
    1975 2T-G Celica TA27 GT

Quote Originally Posted by TheToyman75
    (in 1993) the Screwdriver adjustable mircoleb was also installed - Thank christ those days are gone lol.

Just to quote myself for a minute - It does help bring something well into persepctive, My microtech was the D4's it was microtechs latest and greatest racing option of aftermarket ECU's. I went to 4 different "Performance Workshops" before I thankfully found Dave Alexander of Dynomotive and he got all the fuck ups from the other 3 workshops sorted. (Yes the Same Dave who is now my boss at SAS lol) Back then the Microtech was a "state of the art" bit of gear so you can see why dick (Kojab) used the Delco to get things moving. Most of us could only dream of owning an Autronic or Motec and choices were limited.

Thankfully now days there has been that much development with aftermarket ECU's that you wouldn't even consider and old Delco unit or a Microtech D4's as an option and the best of the best is Soooo much more affordable. But hey if you have and old ecu already doing the job there is no need to change it unless you want to ask more of the engine or vehicle drivability.
    1975 2T-G Celica TA27 GT