Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1uz supercharging kits - opinions pls

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Default 1uz supercharging kits - opinions pls

I am looking for info from people who have knowledge of the available low boost set ups for stock 1uz's. It must pass engineering so can only use stock ECU which I understand can support some boost. I have looked at Bullet ($6k) & Rush ($6k+) Eaton M90 seems a popular unit and can be bought cheaply second hand. Bullet without blower is $2.5k (Rush $3k) seems a lot for a manifold, a belt and a few pulleys. I'm up for building my own set up but I know I'll never finish this MA61, I just wanna drive the bastard!

busy adding lightness Too Much Toyota MR22ZZ's Avatar

Default Re: 1uz supercharging kits - opinions pls

DON'T GET A BULLET ONE!!!

Just search Bullet supercharger on the forums and you'll soon learn why.
    Past Toyotas - Snow White (TA23), Blue Stivo (ZZE123)
    Current Toyotas - Hamster (AW11)
    Quote Originally Posted by X kyle X View Post
    the aw11 is rougher and more angular so it's sex Appel is more that of Sylvester stalone rather then brad pitt

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

I'm 99% sure the Rush one is bought from Richwood Aero.

I think for 3k from Richwood you get everything you need except the M90 charger.
    Then you buy a Thunderbird M90 charger off eBayUSA and it all bolts together.

I know there are quite a few people who have done this to Soarers, but I don't know of many who have done it to Celsiors or Crowns.

The Soarer runs a 251cc injector where as the rest of them run 215cc injectors.
    I'm not sure whether you'd max out the smaller injectors with a factory ecu or not.
    Its not something I've looked into yet, but its something to consider. (I don't know which ecu you have).
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

The 1uz I have is a Crown Majesta which seem to have Soarer equipment such as the hydraulic cooling fan, electric brake booster and the ECU is a combined engine/trans type. This is another thing I will have to deal with as it's a manual conversion, maybe a crown ECU might be a solution. The Majesta seems to be a upmarket model, are the injectors colour coded to show what flow rate? Thanks for your replies, I have noted some bad vibes about Bullet, I'll do a search, BTW I have, I think, a M112 in my garage with a top inlet port, it had the manifold with twin butterfly TB, must be from a Ford, a tad big for what I want.

Majesta is very similar to Celsior.
    Lilac/light purple injectors are 215cc
    Dark Green injectors are 251cc

Majesta ecu will be fine for manual.
    All this inability to use auto ecu's for manual conversions stems from information thats well over 5 years old.
    Peewee
    2013 86 GTS

Just had a quick look, as you susspected Peewee, they are 215cc, I'll swap them out of my son's active Soarer, maybe he won't notice.

Can someone tell me how different the Soarer 1uz ('91-92) to my Majesta 1uz ('92), is it just the injector flow & ecu? I notice mine has the same exhaust log manifolds with 70mm branches not the Crown squashed log. If I bought 2 Soarer kits am I up for more upgrades than injectors than my sons Soarer to make this work? Also it seems a skilled (1uz) tuner is essential, can anyone recommend a Melb. (or Vic) place to go? Thanks guys.

As far as airflow, ignition and injection are concerned, yes, its just the injectors and the exhaust manifolds.

Due to the lack of people who have supercharged non-Soarer motors and given details of it, its hard to say whether or not larger injectors will be required.

A skilled 1uz tuner will only be required if you want to go to an aftermarket ecu.
    If you just plan to use a cheap piggyback then any tuner will do.
    Peewee
    2013 86 GTS

Thanks Peewee, is the water and or water/methanol injection for cooling or detonation control and I read one project was injecting fuel upstreem of the compressor on boost providing extra fuel and cooling the charge or am being over concerned about 6lb boost?

5-6psi is the top limit that I'd be happy to run on a stock ecu.
    Any form of water injection is just a bandaid and is not a good solution. Way too much upkeep.

Richwood to make a WTA cooled manifold, but its taller than the normal one.
    I don't know how much taller though.
    Peewee
    2013 86 GTS

I have tried to get onto the Richwood site for a look but it is down ATM, I'm hoping an M90 & manifold will not be more than 40mm taller than stock plenum otherwise out comes the can opener and fiberglass sending me into Boganville.

Richwood site has been like that for over a year.
    If you want details best to call him.
    Peewee
    2013 86 GTS

When I started this MA61 1UZ project a year back It was't intended to be FI but I remember reading I could have a much larger NA unit or FI unit larger than 4L. After reading the NCOP thread I best get onto my engineer asap about whats happening in Vic.

I'm 99% sure the MA61 is listed as being too light for FI 1UZ under the NCOPs (needs to be 1323kg, listed at 1260kg I'm pretty sure).

However, if you can find original Toyota documentation that shows it being over 1323kg, then you should be ok.

The Canadian brochures tend to advertise the car with wet weight, not dry weight, so they are a lot heavier.
    Peewee
    2013 86 GTS

Just phoned my engineer today, I said is the NCOPs applied in Vic yet? he says "sort of", I say what is the formula you are using for FI, he says "how much does the car weigh, I say rego label = 1,250Kg, he says "3,750cc" I say shat, damn regulations, back to original concept = NA cruzer (maybe a little nos under the seat). I might continue the FI search with Richwood on behalf of my son's soarer, who came home this weekend and I noted he also had the lilac injectors!
    Sooo, after the car is passed & regoed I could look at ITB's and maybe some cams if I'm still inclined to make it extra special.