Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AE86 Brake Upgrade Options

pedro sanchez wannabee Domestic Engineer Dom-AE71's Avatar

Default AE86 Brake Upgrade Options

Now before you guys try and flame the shit out of me ive been searching this topic through Google for the past week and every thread i find to do with brake upgrades jsut says stuff like "Do a search" "been covered before!" but after doing a search I cant actually find anything that gives any kind of real answers.

I did find one but its not detailed enough as to the result:

ra60 front struts
    ra60 vented rotors with big calipers
    ra60 steering arms
    ae86 control arms
    ae86 strut top

you will also need the celica ball joints, theyre a differant profile. itll work without (ive dont it) but its very dodgy/ poissibly extremely dangerous.

also youll have hella shit steering geometry/positve castor issues, but it is a really easy brake upgrade.
    So by using this setup the steering geometry will be out? or is that jsut if you dont use the celica ball joint?

I would really like to do a RX7 Upgrade but the kits from Japan are both expensive and hard to come by. is there anyone out there who has templates for the mounting brackets? i know that plenty of people have done the upgrade and I would prefer this option as i can use the standard struts still.

Are there any other options? MA61 perhaps? RA65?

My goal is vented discs, and if i cant find anything suitable i will have to fork out and settle for some JDM discs and calipers if i can get my hands on them.

Like i said ive searched and searched and come up with nothing, i also figure itd be a good idea to actually have the information all in 1 place on the new forums.

I know theres a tech article on the Toymods homepage but its pretty useless seeing as ive never seen a GX60 Cressida in australia before and itd be easier to source something else!

Default Re: AE86 Brake Upgrade Options

Also ive read the tech articles on the S13 upgrade and from what i can see the customisation of the control arm wouldnt be legal so thats out the window
    Last edited by Dom-AE71; 15-02-2006 at 01:54 PM. Reason: s13 not s14 doh!

Junior Member Grease Monkey

nice i wanted to say the same thing but knew people would have a cry!

HAHA thanks for the rep guys!

Also i realise there is the XT130/Pug/Hilux upgrade but there is the issue of the extra weight of the hilux calipers, and then you have to sorten the strut and you may as well convert it to coil overs while your at it and the costs jsut keep adding up.

i want to use slotted discs up front, if i machine the pug discs down in diameter the slots will go to the edge of the disc and im pretty sure that can weaken the integrity of the metal and casue them to be prone to cracking under high temperatures.

Who da F%^k is Takumi?? Backyard Mechanic 45aken's Avatar

personally i think the mazda option is the best, had a look at a few setups too. if someone could send a drawing or a cad file of there brackets then it would make life so much easier. emtech automotive told me that they will be making a bolt on FC upgrade kit soon, for $800.

the bracket is the only hard thing to make up for it. it is a pretty simple item but, just holds the caliper in the right spot

wouldn't mind hearing about the skyline upgrade either.
    AE86 - coming soon to a quiet mountain pass near you...
    WRX - currently epa'd...

Fava beans and chianti Backyard Mechanic AE86slut's Avatar

Next time I pull my front struts out I'll take a pic of my brackets for the RX7 front brakes. They were made by some mob in Melbourne and appear to be quite well done.
    I am not a doctor, or a mechanic...
    A.K.A Otomoto
    All new - Fart!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vios-GT_07
    it was 10,000 kms b4 it saw the red-line.. but even then i seldom push it that hard unless i have to prove a point i.e. competition

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia Nim's Avatar

Dom-KE55, are you after new brakes on the rear too? What kind of diff do you have in the back? AUDM? JDM? Something else?

I keep getting told that the RA60 struts are heavy. Perhaps too heavy for the AE86. But then the people who tell me this then fail to give me a better alternative.
    Daily: DC2 Integra VTiR :: 96kw @7300rpm - 132nm @6300rpm
    Techno Toymods | Beninca Dyno Day Results 10/9/05 | GOR Cruise '06 | My Photography and Illustration

Quote Originally Posted by AE86slut
    Next time I pull my front struts out I'll take a pic of my brackets for the RX7 front brakes. They were made by some mob in Melbourne and appear to be quite well done.

dude you have 3 months of no driving if you wana take them apart and have them copied id be glad to fart around getting them made up.

ill even buy you a big mac!

can you fit 14's under your brakes?

Quote Originally Posted by 45aken
    personally i think the mazda option is the best, had a look at a few setups too. if someone could send a drawing or a cad file of there brackets then it would make life so much easier. emtech automotive told me that they will be making a bolt on FC upgrade kit soon, for $800.

the bracket is the only hard thing to make up for it. it is a pretty simple item but, just holds the caliper in the right spot

wouldn't mind hearing about the skyline upgrade either.

does this kit include everything needed? ie disc's and calipers?

if so thatd be bloody awsome becasue from what ive read most kits availible at the moment can almost be double that!

Chookhouse Chooning Automotive Encyclopaedia Hen's Avatar

RX7 calipers onto AE86 info here

I also just heard from "twinky" that the 276mm discs from the new supercharged Mini may be a good fit (not needing offset RCAs).

The Audi A3 disc wont work because they are manufactured with 10 holes in the hat. And there was some drama with getting blanks of them.

Hen

Who da F%^k is Takumi?? Backyard Mechanic 45aken's Avatar

those drawing are quite good of the adaptor. i'll ask around some of the machine shops at work and see what i can find. (being in the industry makes things so much cheaper)
    AE86 - coming soon to a quiet mountain pass near you...
    WRX - currently epa'd...

Fava beans and chianti Backyard Mechanic AE86slut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dom-KE55
    dude you have 3 months of no driving if you wana take them apart and have them copied id be glad to fart around getting them made up.

ill even buy you a big mac!

can you fit 14's under your brakes?
    Dong-KE55 - Sounds alright to me. Won't be pulling them off for a while though.

The only 14s I've had on there that clear the calipers are Watanabes. As far as fitting "under" them goes, I don't think anything would
    I am not a doctor, or a mechanic...
    A.K.A Otomoto
    All new - Fart!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vios-GT_07
    it was 10,000 kms b4 it saw the red-line.. but even then i seldom push it that hard unless i have to prove a point i.e. competition

Building Corollas Chief Engine Builder Cuzzo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dom-KE55
    i want to use slotted discs up front, if i machine the pug discs down in diameter the slots will go to the edge of the disc and im pretty sure that can weaken the integrity of the metal and casue them to be prone to cracking under high temperatures.
    hey dom i have slotted rotors on my ae82 and my slots go all the way out. They are proper DBA ones(just to let you know)

Quote Originally Posted by 45aken
    those drawing are quite good of the adaptor. i'll ask around some of the machine shops at work and see what i can find. (being in the industry makes things so much cheaper)

that would be excelent, as Henn wrote they cost him 6-700 to be made up.

reckon youd be able to find out about a better price for us all?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AE86slut
    Dong-KE55 - Sounds alright to me. Won't be pulling them off for a while though.

The only 14s I've had on there that clear the calipers are Watanabes. As far as fitting "under" them goes, I don't think anything would

hahaha your a funny guy jez!

well ive got plenty of time, the car i was going to buy has been sold but i still want something to put my 20v into thats one thing for sure! most likely on the search for an ae71 becasue i dont want to have to buy back the t50 im selling next week haha