Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1982 corona with SR20 = :-0

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default 1982 corona with SR20 = :-0

well i'll try and update this later with more details but here is a start.

got given a 1982 corona a few months back. came with a 1X and auto box and a bit of rust.

wasn't sure what to do with it but i did want to take it out on the track for some fun. and i
    knew that my budget wasn't real big so i had to be careful what i spent my cash on.

THE GOAL SET WAS $2000 IN 4 WEEKS

I tried to get some advice before biting the bullet on and engine but i got cought up in the creating a toysports account and took 3 months to get it activated so since i couldn't get any advice on toyota's i turned to nissan's.

engine choice for cheep thrills was put down to a few engines but the SR20 won due to the amount of aftermarket parts and upgrade options that are very easy to get.

first step was sourcing the engine and box. the SR20DE engine was easy to track down and pretty cheep at only $400 i had to grab it.

next came getting a box to put behind it. and as far as prices go it's was cheeper by $100 to buy a turbo box from queensland than buy a NA box here in NSW !! $600 total.

new engine mounts/cross member/gearbox support/lower control arm mounts and a few other things had to be made so that kept me busy waiting for the tailshaft to be made.

also had to hook up the computer and fuel pumps and strip the car out and mount the harness.

on day 30 i picked up the tailshaft and put it in. and started it on day 31. so all in all a success.

it's getting dyno'd this weekend so i'll have some numbers for you then. stay tunned for pictures.

vid

more to follow later.

Cheers
    Jams

Forum Sponsor Conversion King

Default Re: 1982 corona with SR20 = :-0

looks like it should be a fun thing.

did you speak to an engineer about the engine xmember? mines fairly easy going but will only allow mild mods to the factory unit and wont pass a custom one.

should make around 80 odd kws at the treads so it has potential.

cheers
    linden
    Quote Originally Posted by WHITCHY
    Prefer someone around the Sydney area but will travel a few hours for a good box!

Seen, but not heard Grease Monkey fingers's Avatar

Looks like a good fit!

Should be a whole heap of fun. Let us know how it goes.

dyno'd today .

came in at a final top of 97.6 RWKW / 125 RWHP

better than nothing

i'll be looking to join a car club next yar to get out to some events and really enjoy this POS !! thinking HDCC at the moment cause they run a lot of motorkahana's and the likes which is all this car is going to be good for until i get some more money to do suspension and brakes.

I'll see how it goes with the cross member for the time being but i'll be looking to make a new one with a lader brace all the way from the front of the car to the rear of the gearbox to try and stiffen it all up a bit.

gotta pull the diff out and weld it up this weekend so it's ready for a flogging. also got to put a muffler in it. it's just to damn loud !!!

cheers

James

---------HO00NS---------- Chief Engine Builder IN 05 NT's Avatar

would be good to see you out at some of nexte years events.

im with the TCC and we quite a few combined days with them.

looks good!, blake

who is TCC ???

i figured that HDCC do most of the style of events im interested in and i know a few guys there. been out to a few of their days and know what happeneds and what to expect.

i'm sure i'll see you blake. just make sure you come up and say HI !!

were you at the CL RUDD motorkahana ont he 3rd of feb Blake ???

i now know what TCC stands for. they are a little to far away for me though !!

hope to see you at the next one !!!

2sc Breaker!!!! Backyard Mechanic bmxer54's Avatar

nice!
    cheap quick conversion, nice to see stuff like this being done - gotta love thrashmobiles! looking foward to any updates... dont think you would have been able to get too much power out of that s*#tty holden starfire was it 4 speed manual? those boxes are pretty good and a fair few datto and mazda boys use em for their strength

love your work

Cheers,

Peter.

na Peter when i got it was an auto. I opted for a sr20DET box. should be able to hold the power no problems !!!

not much to update so far. got my hands on a second pair of front struts so i can build the brake kit using skyline calipers and disks. nothing to serious i just figure if i'm going to upgrade. then it might as well be an UPgrade.

also looking at making this second pair of front struts as my "on road" pair. so really stiff springs and hopefully adjustable shocks and tower tops. but that's still a fair bit away.

also i have started making the templates for a undertray. i'm still finding mud and grass under the car. it's driving me nuts. so hopefully i'll have the front piece of that completed soon. then the back then i'll do something with the middle section.

And priced up the material for the roll cage. looks like it will all be in the car for about $500 which is really good. just got to get the money to do it sooner rather than later.

some more pics.

---------HO00NS---------- Chief Engine Builder IN 05 NT's Avatar

looking good mate, nah didnt make the rudd khana, car isnt complete yet, once it is, i should be at almost every event, if i spot you i'll come over for a squiz

you going to make it out to oran park in march? 1st supersprint of the year.

OP on the 9th is a motorkhana i think.

i'll be there. hoping to have a hydraulic handbrake in the car by then if i can.

just depends if i get my rodeo sold. and the new job i started on weekends so i can still do uni.

come out for OP and i'll give you a ride.

Built and Driven Backyard Mechanic beauy's Avatar

this looks like a fun project...

it's an absolute ball. diff gear is a bit high but i'll get that fixed with a new diff.

IN05NT - did you make it ?? i have a terible memory.

i finished 21st out of 49 for the second time in the car. really needs some suspension ASAP.

more pics

update

bought and fitted a remote oil filter mounting system. makes it much easier to change filters on the bloody SR !!!

just spent some $$$$ getting some suspension parts.
    new springs and shocks at the moment and a fair few new bushes.

still have to find a new diff and i hear that there is a pajero model that happends to be the right size and has a 8 inch center and has a 4.6:1 center.... so if you know what year model please let me know asap !!!!!!

i'll head out this weekend and get dirty at pick and payless if i get there to measure up a whole stack of diffs .

how much should i be looking to pay for a diff from the wreckers ??? with an open center ( i'm just going to weld it up anyway.

oh and if you have any 15inch rally tyres you are throwing out plese let me know. just after some tyres to see what good tyres are like till i get the money to buy a full set !!!

thanks
    James

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

talk to Chris Davey about as he used to have a pajero diff in his 1J-powered XT130
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge