Thread: 4AGE won't start

Roflcopter Pilot Backyard Mechanic thu187's Avatar

Default 4AGE won't start

Hey guys,
    Went to start her up yesterday but didn't have enough fuel so I got some but then my battery went flat. The alarm I've got will go off if the battery is flat because it thinks someone's pinched it.
    So today I heard it and got a mate to come over and jump start her and I went to crank it but now it won't start and the alarm starts going off as if the battery is flat. When the key is just on ACC the lights, stereo, everything else works so I'm a bit puzzled. I can't hear any clicking either (I did yesterday).
    Do you reckon it could be the starter motor? Or alternator?
    Big noob here so any help is appreciated.

Cheers
    [T]echnology is the only [R]eplacement for [D]isplacement

is the bestest Conversion King LeeRoy's Avatar

Default Re: 4AGE won't start

To start with if your battery is flat then whatever has made it go flat will need to be sorted out first so maybe youve left something on, havent started it in a while, or some other reason like your alternator might be on the way out. Probably a good idea to check the voltage in it to be sure.

To start with, check that the starter has power going to it which can either be done by using a multimeter or just get a mate to turn the key and listen for the solenoid popping out and engaging. I cant remember if theres a fuse for the starter but if there is then check that first.

How bright are your lights when you turn them on? If the lights are dim then it wont have enough juice to kick the engine over either.

If youve got enough juice but the starter wont budge then give it a whack with a hammer a few time as it will knock out any loose dust etc around the bushes/windings but if this is the case then its time for a reco or a new starter.
    Daily Driver: Red Ae93 Project: My TA22 - now with 3s-gte
    D is for Disco, E is for Dancing

Ok now the dash lights aren't coming on but the lights for 2 guages are and the cd player still works and now I am hearing the ticking. It sounds like a machine gun lol

Oh yeah should've stated that the car hasn't been running for ages just finished the engine swap. Let me try whacking the starter with a hammer.

Alright well I have no light but I'll give it a crack when I wake up in a few hours. The dash lights DO work it was just set on the dimmest setting oops
    I think the starter motor is goneskies though. No more machine gun noise it's goneback to regular noise but luckily I've got one coming to me from Peter Costello

Thanks LeeRoy + rep

Building Corollas Chief Engine Builder Cuzzo's Avatar

rip out start motor and put it directly to the battery to see if it works.

If good re-install. Get new battery (always good to have a new battery after conversions)

Are you disabling the immobiliser?
    KE30 4agte - Bullet - Rick Rolled
    UZX83 1UZ W58- Cruiser - Tow Car - Fun Car
    Quote Originally Posted by -GT- View Post
    You had an oil and plastics engine bay fire, with flames that reached at least to the roof - of course shit got hot, it wasn't burning jiffy firelighters back there.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

try getting your mate to leave the jumper leads attatched for about ten minutes with his car idleing, sounds to me like your battery is just flat. or buy a cheap battery charger..

to check battery charge roughly! turn on headlights and then try to start the car, it the headlights go really dim , your battery is flat. the rapid fire "click click click " would be a bit of a clue that the bat is flat

DIY Bloodline Domestic Engineer Talasas's Avatar

The machine gun sound of the starter sounds like an immobiliser to me. They do that when they are armed. You mentioned you had an alarm, I would double check that it's disarmed.
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move." -HHGG