Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guide: Strut and brake conversion for TA from RA

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Guide: Strut and brake conversion for TA from RA

Ok now alot of people are asking about this conversion. In my opinion it would have to be the simplest upgrade for a TA22. So I decided to write out a step by step instruction guide on how to do it. Please read ALL the posts before starting this project as people have added advice and personal experiences thank you

Ok so the parts and tools you will need. . .
    Parts:
    For basic
    - A TA22.
    - Left and right RA23/28 strut assembly obviously including brakes.
    - New brake pads (might as well do it while its out)
    - New brake fluid
    For better
    - Lowered king springs
    - (I used) KYB shockers for RA strut

Tools:
    - Wratchet
    - 14mm socket and spanner
    - 17mm socket and spanner
    - 10mm brake line spanner
    - 10mm spanner
    - 7/8ths socket (unsure what that is in mm)
    - Set of spring compressors
    - Lever bar
    - Shifter
    - Jack
    - 2 good stands
    - Brake line clamps
    - Group of mates
    - Cellebration beverage
    I think that is all.
    Last edited by Born-Enthusiast; 01-12-2008 at 12:04 AM.

Exclamation Re: Strut and brake conversion for TA from RA

Ok Now the method, for experienced and qualified mechanics excuse any missed techniques. (I learnt in a backyard)

Preparation:
    1,Get all tools ready and place out where they can be easily reached.
    2, Place each strut on its repective side of the immediate work area
    3, Ring a group of mates and inform them you will be doing manly things at your house in fifteen minutes.
    4, Tell the misses to prepare the celebrational beverage
    5, Get jack and stands ready and make SURE they are in the immediate work area

The job:
    1, Park the car in a nice easy spot to work and apply handbrake and also chock the wheels.

2, Crack wheel nuts on both front wheels, also Crack the strut nut at the top using 7/8 socket and a bit of ingeniality.

3, Jack up the front of the car and place on stands. Do both sides now.

4, Remove tyre and slide under chassis rail just incase your stand fails (safety first guys )
    (You may choose to repeat step 4 on other side now or later)

5, Observe your handy work, get a few people around to see your progress remember to rub dirt and grease on your hands so it looks like you've done alot more. This will impress them

6, Next After the crowd leaves, I like to use the line: If you don't leave me to it I will force you to hold my tools.

7, Clamp the brake lines with your brake clamps (on the rubber bit) and undo the brake line from the calliper.

8, Undo the two bolts at the bottom of the strut with a 17mm spanner or socket. If your a real man undo 17mm bolts with your nails and determination.

9, Realise you forgot to open your bonnet. STand for a few minutes wondering how you previously cracked the strut nut. Procceed to open bonnet now.

10, Unbolt the three 14mm nuts on top of your strut and place aside, also crack Strut top nut. Lastly mark one of the bolts and holes so you may realign on instalation.

11, Using your trusty Lever attempt to remove strut bottom off of the thingy it's sitting on that moves up and down.

12, If after 15 minutes you can't do it place level between sway bar and chassis and get another friend to apply pressure to it as you pull the strut towards you. This will usually end in an injury if you don't expect the wieght of the strut. remember it will slide out as the top bolts are undone.

13, Regather crowd and explain that it didn't want to cooporate, but after it was introduced to justice and reason (remember to make two fists and wave them in the air) it submitted. Disperse crowd.

14, Compare the TA strut that is out with the RA strut on the ground, notice the difference, then proceed to point and laugh at the pitifull excuse of brakes the TA brakes were.

15, Using the spring compressors compress springs on TA strut, so removing the strut top won't cause broken wrists as it flys off due to a coiled spring behind it.

16, Unbolt Strut top nut with the 7/8ths socket and remove springs. Place TA Strut top on car so you won't loose it

17, Repeat process for RA strut and make sure you DO NOT mix up the strut tops (The TA top should be smaller).

18, Remove the suspension with the shifter and replace with new parts remember to get someone to take photo's at the shiny NEW parts that will never be seen again. Fit the Lowered King Springs and place TA strut top on strut, tighten nut. You should not have to compress the lowered springs. Remember to put the rubber dust gaurd back on strut before you assemble or you will have to pull it apart again to put it on while your mates laugh at your stupidity. (even the unmechanical ones will laugh)

19, Remove brake calipers and replace the pads while the strut is out. Remeber to put it back together

20, Get mate to apply pressure again on trusty lever. Laugh at him tell him to stop an now help you align the strut in holes.

21, When strut has one bolt through the hole get mate to tighten a nut and washer on it. Real men can do this step without the help, real men also know when mates come to "help" with mechanics they mean sit and watch you, while they drink to your success.

22, Tighten 14mm nut with socket and tighten the other two nuts as tightning the first should bring the other two through the holes.

23, Manouver strut back into it's place using both justice and reason. Make sure they sit properly on alignment sleeves. Tighten both 17mm bolts in bottom of strut.

24, Attach brake line to new brakes. Don't resist the feeling to spin your new bigger rotor and watch your reflection glimmer in what you know was a well worth upgrade.

25, Repeat complete process on opposite side. Remember to take photo's if you want a record of the work you do on your car or even better get a mate to do it.

26, Bleed the brakes and leave the tyres off for now. Walk into the house and find your misses. Disregard her cries of horror as you grab her by the hand, remembering the woman loves the grime and dirt and thinks its sexy, her screams of horror are usually relating to a roleplaying scene. Take this opportunity to ravish her as only real men can.
    Do not forget to leave grease marks down the hall, transfer ample amounts of dirt and grease to her and bring her out to admire your work. (Edited for barned01 there you go buddy)

27, Declare a public holiday to the neighbours in rmemeberence of this day and order the celebration beverage to be served in the plenty.

28, check all the bolts and make sure everything is tight and secure

29, Remember to replace the tyres and do up all the bolts tight!

30, Dejack car and clean up, remember to pay specific attention to cleaning your tools and putting them away in the correct place.

In celebration of your manly achievments have a test drive, apon your return party into the late of night telling stories of your accomplishments and extrvagent sturrgles of the past day with anyone and everyone you can force to listen.

Hope this helps anyone considering this installation
    Last edited by Born-Enthusiast; 06-12-2007 at 10:31 PM. Reason: updated step 26 for barned01:D

Default Re: Strut and brake conversion for TA from RA

hahah. i love the personal touches. specifically
    step 5
    (Quote) 5, Observe your handy work, get a few people around to see your progress remember to rub dirt and grease on your hands so it looks like you've done alot more. This will impress them (Quote)

well anyway cheers again mate, this will help considerably, i have a set of RA struts and the lowered springs and shockies are sure to come.

Good right up.
    Jamie

Junior Member Grease Monkey Neverland's Avatar

This will be definately in the books for later on great write up

Junior Member Carport Converter Roscos's Avatar

It's a lot easier if you have a compresser and a ratlle gun.

And you forgot to mention "how many hours it has taken you to do this job", and how many cans.

Roscos

Junior Member Domestic Engineer

step 26 looks like it has been watered down for the kiddies.
    the woman loves the grime and dirt and thinks its sexy, her screams of horror are usually relating to a roleplaying scene. Take this opportunity to ravish her as only real men can.

seriously the job should take about 4 hours maybe up to 17. This is depending on your skill and how many times you bring crowds to appraise your work. Also never forget at anytime during the job a real man can kick back on the couch (Without a shower ) and enjoy a tinnie or two, only while watching the racing if the job was scheduled for a sunday. . . Which of course it will be.
    Last edited by Born-Enthusiast; 03-12-2007 at 10:29 PM.

Not a patch on a Backyard Mechanic

Great write up mate, well done!
    So, in all this, you are saying that the RA strut is the same length as the TA strut, and all you have done, effectively, is swap strut tops in order to fit them into your car?
    RA23
    1G-GZE

no they are a little longer but that is ok because the height is counted by lowered springs. You can leave it stock but the front end will be jacked by about 8-10 centermeters which is a big thing really. but like i said the lowered springs makes it look tough leaving the front slighty lower then the rear I'll take a photo of my car when i get my camera working and post it up

Not a patch on a Backyard Mechanic

OK, thanks for that.
    RA23
    1G-GZE

I even do the dishes as Domestic Engineer Rodger's Avatar

And apart from the bigger brakes you get the bigger stub axle and wheel bearings which opens up more options for later brake upgrades.

And it is really that simple, it was one of the first things I did with my TA-22s back in the late eighties.

Good write up Born.

Regards

Rodger

Junior Member Carport Converter Roscos's Avatar

I want to see you get the strut tops off without a rattle gun and what dickhead is going to hold the shock shaft while you undo the nut.

Roscos

I even do the dishes as Domestic Engineer Rodger's Avatar

I have had success with using cardboard wrapped around the shaft and vice grips a long socket bar and a pipe over the bar so about 1m of leaverage.

Strut in vice and vice grips wedged to the vice jaws.

It is very difficult, a bit easier with adjustable spring palforms as I can drop the spring away so no load or spring clamps needed.

Or the nut can be loosened on the car with all the load on the strut. The standard spring top engages with the shock top so with the weight of the car it will turn a bit until the spring binds and with the bar the nut can be undone.

Regards

Rodger

so the plan is to crack the nut on the strut top while it is in the car, and then proceed with the rest of the conversion. now that there is a step that should be added to the how tooo...

correct me if i miss read somehow. Jamie

Ok guys remember this is not a 100% perfect write up here. I did apolgise right at the start if I missed any steps. It's not like i was doing the conversion and ran inside to type it after I completed each step. I have edited the step by step to say to crack the nut before you jack the car. However it is possible to do it out of the car with a bit of backyard smarts.