Thread: What is used to hold the front guards on....seam sealer?? and what about the rear wi

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default What is used to hold the front guards on....seam sealer?? and what about the rear wi

What is the material/rubber used to hold the front guards on apart from the bolts of course?
    Is it seam sealer?

And what are the rear windows held in by aswell? What is used there as I need to put mine back in and im not sure if I can do them myself by buying the stuff or if it will be cheaper to get say O'Brian to come out and do it.

Cheers
    1984 AE86 (mountain and track car)...work in progress 4agz(t)e HKS GT2540, W58, F series diff, 3.5"driveshaft, intercooler done.
    Motor built... now the exhaust manifold...woo tuned length baby!!
    Coilovers all round 6 pt cage fr & rr strut brace/b-pillar brace 15*8's -9..the lot

Founding ****** Automotive Encyclopaedia Mos's Avatar

Default Re: What is used to hold the front guards on....seam sealer?? and what about the rear wi

Would be good to tell us what car it is, or else we might assume you're talking about the sprinter.

If so, not sure about seam sealer but I think that's it.
    Rear windows - glued in with sikaflex, and located on the trim clips.

Mos.
    Admin, I.T., Founding Member, Toymods Car Club Inc.
    2000 IS200 Sports Luxury 1UZ-FE VVTi, 1991 MX83 Grande 2JZ-GTE (sold)

AVGAS DRINKING Carport Converter 30psi 4agte's Avatar

Default Re: What is used to hold the front guards on....seam sealer?? and what about the rear wi

I get the window guys ( O'briens etc ) to do my windows..... Its not that $$$ to do and they have all the gear. Think i payed $150 for popping both my front and rear out and installing them back in when i had my roof trimed.

+ should they break it when putting it in , You know they will pay for a new one

is the bestest Conversion King LeeRoy's Avatar

Yeh ive paid to have windows removed and plan to have them reinstalled professionally also. I use Butyl Mastic on the windows though, its like a black silicon.
    Daily Driver: Red Ae93 Project: My TA22 - now with 3s-gte
    D is for Disco, E is for Dancing

yea its a ae86
    1984 AE86 (mountain and track car)...work in progress 4agz(t)e HKS GT2540, W58, F series diff, 3.5"driveshaft, intercooler done.
    Coilovers all round 6 pt cage fr & rr strut brace/b-pillar brace 15*8's -9..the lot

The rear window on an AE86 is pressed in and held in by the window seal. IIRC no glue/sealant is used.

Founding ****** Automotive Encyclopaedia Mos's Avatar

LeeRoy - he said windows, so I assumed the two side windows, not the tailgate window
    AFAIK the tailgate window should still have (a small amount of) sealant applied to the seal, or at least that's what the manual says.
    Mos.
    Admin, I.T., Founding Member, Toymods Car Club Inc.
    2000 IS200 Sports Luxury 1UZ-FE VVTi, 1991 MX83 Grande 2JZ-GTE (sold)

Yea the 2 back 1/4 windows

30DET... The only way. Carport Converter Kyosho's Avatar

Get someone to professionaly install it.

After watching a thing on installing car windows, it's something I don't want to do properly, and there are "standards" that should be adhered to (Like touching edges = no no as it "Activates" the glass)
    My Dead Supra...
    Quote Originally Posted by ReQuieM in the A70 Thread
    There is some serious talent in this thread for linking anything to fuckin gay sex. Its extraordinary.

Rest in Peace Conversion King ViPeR_NiPPleX's Avatar

I too am curious as to what is used on the guards.

Butyl Mastic on the guards too. It is removable with a rag and some prep sol but is otherwise hard on the outside while remaining soft on the inside.

Cheers for the info guys. I'll go down to the rubber shop and find some of that Butyl Mastic for the guards. Will most prob get somone to come and install the windows for me.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic pisso001's Avatar

Good choice.. Not worth the risk i say.. Not only would you have to buy a new pannel of class but might hurt yourself if it breaks...