Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blacktop 3sge into Sw20

Forum Member Grease Monkey

Default Blacktop 3sge into Sw20

As it stands, I'm planning to replace the 3s-ge with one of the beams blacktop 3s-ge into my MR2 bathurst, with a 3s-gte gearbox (with LSD). As such, I'm not doing anything to the stock engine unless i can put it in the blacktop when that's ready. If anyone has done the conversion before, any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

I'm guessing not a terrible lot of custom work would be needed for the swap, i'm guessing the mounts and sump will need attention. Would the turbo belhousing be a straight swap though? I figured out recently the flywheel is different between turbo and NA models

Does anyone know if
    - Crank Pulley
    - Intake manifold gasket
    - Throttle body
    these 3 items are interchangable between the 3s-ge, beams 3s-ge and 3s-gte?

Edit: Summary of things that will need attention during the swap
    - Head will foul on strut tower when it torques (Polyurethane mounts)
    - Oil Sump, Dipstick (Caldina or SW20 redtop sump, or go custom )
    - Mounts (need to be adapted to fit)
    - Intake Exhaust Different (But going custom anyway)
    - Flywheel different
    - Starter motor needs to be relocated
    - Wiring the ECU in a real pain
    Last edited by Lonewolf; 06-04-2006 at 09:11 AM.

I definitely ain't a Chief Engine Builder wagonist's Avatar

Default Re: Blacktop 3sge into Sw20

I think you need to stick your car up on ramps & have a look underneath.
    3 of the 4 engine mounts are on the gearbox, so using another SW20 box (even the turbo) means no drama there.
    The other mount on the end of the engine is most likely interchangable between the motors, if they're not already the same.
    If your current driveshafts are only one piece, ie one long one & one short one, I'd be using the split shaft turbo versions (actually you will have to anyway as the gearbox end spline is bigger than the NA versions)
    Physically, the motor should just go straight in with no mods.
    The wiring on the other hand will need changing.

PS what year is your car, if its a 96 or newer I may be interested in your old 3S-GE...

Junior Member Domestic Engineer urantia's Avatar

i undertook the same conversion on an aw11 mr2, with the aw11 one mount had to be fabbed up (thanx to charliemr2) to fit this in. Then it was just a matter of wiring. So for an sw20 which is already set up for 3s engines your going to have very easy conversion on your hands. Sump/crossmembers should not pose any problems.

I don't believe the throttle body is interchangable but i could be wrong, others maybe but if your getting a complete beams engine why do you need to interchange those bits?

Gearbox should bolt right up to the beams block, but i can't answer if you'll run into issues with the starter motor location (ie may be in a diff place)

Charliemr2 if he's on these forums should be able to answer your specific questions better.
    98 3rz-fe Hilux 4x4
    97 Hiace AWD Super Custom 1kz turbo diesel (sold)
    87 MA70 w/ 1JZ-GTE Manual Conversion GT (moss growing on roof deteriorating away but open to offers)

That would be good then, I'm told its a real biatch to wire up a beams, but hey, if its only relitively minor items, thats more time devoted to getting the wiring right.

95 bathurst, but i think only a gen 2 3s-ge. but i'll be keeping it anyway, its mint condition and if i blow the beams, i've got a spare till the beams gets fixed.

The beams wont be stock. I'm gonna strip down the bottom end and have it built to handle more power than i'm chasing, that way it shouldnt need to come out because i cracked the crank or conrod or something stupid like that. thats why i was asking bout those parts

Urantia - the AW11 must be a weapon with a blacktop spewing its exhaust over the 2nd place getter

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

are you going to turbo it or get more na power from it ,also are you getting a caldina black top beams or a altezza rwd 1 that has ablack top rocker as well ,also the red top came out in the last 6months of the sw20

More than likely an altezza blacktop, as i've found 3 such creatures that are in the $3600 price range, so hopefully at least 1 of them is decent condition. Dont know much about caldina blacktops are they similar to the altezza's?

Yes i do plan on turboing it, but thats not really something that'll be happening for a long time and will be happening after I get the swap itself done. It'll probably end up being 4 years away thou, as i doubt anyone will consider insuring it till i hit 25 period, as it is shannons wont insure the car in stock trim, just cause of the type of car and my age. Bottom end is going to be built to handle the turbo.

you will have to many hassles with the altezza motor as its a rwd motor ,you are better to look for a caldina or last 6months sw20 beams as they are fwd and are set up as such ,altezza you would need new plenum new extractors new f/wheel and starter motor as well as sump and alternator etc better the fwd option

CelicaRA45 are you sure the redtop beams came out withint the last 6months (in sw20?)
    pretty sure charlie mr2 has his redtop beams before then. Then again he may of had the celica version if there was one?
    98 3rz-fe Hilux 4x4
    87 MA70 w/ 1JZ-GTE Manual Conversion GT (moss growing on roof deteriorating away but open to offers)

the 1st red top beams came out in the last 6months of both the sw20 mr2 and also the st202 celica these then ahd a black rocker cover and the cats were moved up into the extractors like the current caldina and rav 4 models with the vvti black tops

I dont want one of the MR2 beams, the redtops only had vvti on intake only off memory, do the non altezza beams blacktops have the same base block? As long as its got the same features, i'm not Overly concerned with where its from, the altezza was the only car i was aware that had the beams blacktop (or a 3sge with over 200hp). If it has the dual vvti head and all the other gadgets, cool. I'm still planning, so am still on a learning curve, hence the thread. Its good to know theres other candidate cars for the eng swap thou.

the blacktop beams in fwd version also only has VVTI on the intake cam.

I believe the altezza RWD beams 3sge is the only one with VVTI on both intake and exuast cam.

but heck you can't complain about 190-200hp from 2.0litre 4 cyl non turbo motor. (fwd beams motors)
    98 3rz-fe Hilux 4x4

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Valkyrie's Avatar

Hi,
    Have a look on www.mr2oc.com.

People have commented that the dual VVTi engines will not fit as the exhaust VVTi will hit one of the strut towers. It fits when the car is not running, but there is not enough clearance when the car is running.

Cheers

Where theres a will, theres a way. Good excuse for polyurethane engine mounts, and with some other work, i'm sure it'd be doable.

A question i'm still yet to find out the answer too, i cant seem to find a part number for the crank pulley on a MR2 3s-gte, to see if it'll mate up where the 3sge crank pulley goes, I've found a lightweight crank pulley for turbo mr2's but cant find a non turbo one, unorthodox is yet to reply, the guy sellin it claims it wont fit (and wont fit the GT4 3sgte), and one of my friends claims it will (who owns a gt4 3sgte). I've been to toyota who dont have parts listings for turbo mr2's but the crank pulley off an 89-93 GT4 will fit mine, but not post 93 models. If anyone knows that they will or wont fit, can u let me know.

Edit:

Is the head the only difference between the redtop and blacktop? If so, i think I might be able to settle for a redtop. Initial install will be alot less time and money (as it should be doable in less than a week seeming its an engine the mr2's came out with)
    Last edited by Lonewolf; 02-03-2006 at 10:17 PM.

Have you got any prices on beams motors yet? any forsale in aus? i'd be curious what there going for nowadays. They use to command an absolute price premium. Probably still do?
    98 3rz-fe Hilux 4x4

Yea, the 3 blacktops i found had $4500 on them, thats the longblock, but as i wasnt going to need the gearbox, he said i'd be looking at closer to $3700. Haven't seen any redtops for sale, i dont know what they are in, except a celica st202, but i dont know if they are aussie delivered. have seen a jap redtop on ebay for $1800? american + shipping