Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Speedo Devices: electronic to mechanical and more

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Re: Speedo Devices: electronic to mechanical and more

Ok, since I probably won't be doing mine in a while due to priorities. Heres what I've found;

Problem:

S15 gearbox doesn't have a speedo - it runs from abs sensor/signal converter. So anyone using a S15 box as a transmission without the diff needs to find an alternative speedo.

Luckily the IS200 gearbox has a speedo worm gear / and speedo drive. This speedo drive interchanges with the W5* boxes so you can convert IS200 electronic speedo to cable driven this way. So back to the problem the S15 shaft doesn't run any worm drive and hence no speedo capability. The worm drive from a W5* is too big ID and does fit. So heres my attempt to adapt a IS200 worm drive onto the S15 gearbox.

Parts were purchased from lexus dealership. Try remove the 'T' and ask your local toyota dealership...it may even be cheaper!!! dunno.

Part# T33481-22030, Worm gear for IS200 6-speed, cost $60

Part# T90467-25001, Clip retainer for IS200 6-speed cost $3.50

Now the gear fits perfectly over the shaft as in above picture. All I think you need to do is drill 2 holes so the clip can clamp onto and you have a worm gear on the output shaft of your S15 gearbox (and possibly work on MX5/RX8).

I haven't progressed further than that but im sure it will line up to the casting that exist on the box. That will determine where you drill the two holes (though im guess central location is best) but will need to do measurements.

P.S. I have not tried this on my own box so I do not know if it will work 100%. But it take me few months before I even look at it so enjoy the info.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer MRMOPARMAN's Avatar

im pretty sure castlemaine rod shop or castle auto electrics sold electro/mechanical converter boxes? cant remember which one unfortunately
    Quote Originally Posted by cuzzo
    well have to see what gen is better the ke30 or the ke(yuk)25
    Quote Originally Posted by Bananaman
    Thats like comparing a house brick and a stiletto

Forum Member

Super thread bump

How did this go? Trying to sort out a speedo drive on a rx8 box now for my ta22 and it still seems like theres not a great deal of support out there for this

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Toymods Club Member Backyard Mechanic auto351's Avatar

Very interesting, it would be relativity simple to build a board that would take the digital signal and drive a stepper motor, hard part would be the coupling of the motor to the cable.
    Has anyone made their own converter ?

M.

Forum Member Grease Monkey

I built a speedo corrector using an Arduino and fitted to a Hilux with a diff ratio swap. I used this site as a guide and it worked perfectly. You could take your speed signal for an abs sensor if you wanted to and correct the output very easily.
    https://members.rennlist.com/tom8695...r%20Page1.html

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by auto351 View Post
    Very interesting, it would be relativity simple to build a board that would take the digital signal and drive a stepper motor, hard part would be the coupling of the motor to the cable.
    Has anyone made their own converter ?

M.
    There are a few companies out there making devices that use a GPS signal to drive a stepper motor which connects via cable to the old mechanically driven speedometers. I use one of these in my old LS-powered Volvo. https://www.classicautoinnovations.com/classic Works perfectly and can be calibrated to be pretty danged accurate within the speed range you want your cable driven unit to be accurate. Most cable driven speedos won't read "true" across the entire range. Was going to get another of these for the speedo in my TE21 -- but the speedo itself is shot, so have to take care of that before I 'fix' the rest of it. Since I seem to be constantly playing with drivelines, gears and tire size -- nice to have the speedometer reading divorced from all those other variables.
    '16 Subaru Crosstrek; '17 Mazda3 Hatch; '82 Volvo 242 w/LS3 V8 power; '73 TE21 w/3TC power