Thread: 92 model Soarer 2JZGTE + GETRAG manual Box

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default 92 model Soarer 2JZGTE + GETRAG manual Box

SEARCHED BUT COULDNT FIND

my mate has a 92 model soarer and i really like the car and am in the process of getting 1myself just with a 1JZGTTE and automatic...my mate said they heaps of potential and i really like the look of them.

My mate is now looking to put a 2JZGTTE into his soarer with a GETRAG box manual.

is this possible as they are both the same family of enginehe will try do most the work himself amnd he said the sump will hit the crossmember or somthing and will need to be modified.

If he goes ahead and duz it i would like to do the same wen i get my soarer is it worth it and how much and how hard will it be??
    Last edited by KINGKONG; 20-11-2007 at 02:53 PM.

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Default Re: 92 model Soarer 2JZGTE + GETRAG manual Box

If you use a JZA80 Supra engine it will be pretty close to bolt in, they have the same sump and engine mounts. A few people have put Soarer V8's in Supras and it pretty much just slots in.

Is it worth it? Well you'll basically wind up with a heavier RZ Supra for about the same price as an RZ Supra, so you decide.

How much? How long is a piece of string? A JZA80 manual front cut will be around $6-7k, the cost from there varies depending on how much of the work you're doing yourself and what else needs to be done at the same time.

How hard? Pretty hard, but not as hard as a lot of other conversions. I wouldn't attempt this as your first serious project, a certain amount of knowledge and experience would be required to pull it off satisfactorily.

Hmmmm so the soarer is heaveir then the JZA80 supra ok what about just using the engine and box no front cut?

What about an Aristo Front Cut are those all auto's.

Should i just leave the 1JZGTTE is it capable of making good power with a big single turbo conversion?

i want to have a manual in my soarer and so far all i can find is Auto's what options do i have?

for both 1JZ and 2JZ blocks?

Yes Aristo is auto only.

You can get plenty of power out of a 1JZ, it's pretty much the same engine as the 2JZ just with a shorter stroke. A few well thought-out upgrades will have a 1JZ walking all over a stock 2JZ and it will be easier and cheaper than a full engine conversion.

Manual options are the same for both engines; either an R154 5-speed (as factory fitted in JZZ30's) or a V160 6-speed. The former option is much cheaper and has the obvious advantage of being a true bolt-in conversion.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic manny's Avatar

Engine is pretty straight forward to fit as far as mounts, sumps etc being compatible.
    A custom throttle cable bracket is required to use the Soarer Cruise and accelerator cables on the 2JZ throttle body.
    All ancillaries interchange fine and you can even run the 2JZ-GTE on the original Soarer 1JZ-GTE loom as long as you don't need the sequential turbo operation which means no custom wiring to the body looms etc.
    For fitting a Getrag V160 to a xZZ3x Soarer properly, the transmission sub tunnel needs to be swapped out just as the auto Supras are done when they are converted.
    MKIV.COM auto to 6 speed link
    You also need the Supra 6 speed crossmember, talishaft and 3.2:1 diff if you want to keep the gearing right.
    You need to extend the tailshaft to suit the longer Soarer wheelbase.
    If you use an early B series diff you also need a shorter driveshaft.
    If you can get both drieveshafts from a 6 speed, do so as they are a little thicker than the various Soarer ones.
    The Supra 4/2 pots brakes are also a bolton affair to pull up the extra weight fo the Soarer from the higher speeds reached with the 2JZ...
    No everyone like the Supra's styling like myself, so speccing up a Soarer to Supra driveline spec can be very satisfying.
    GSE20 IS250 - daily
    UZZ30 Soarer - 1UZ-FE/R154/Adaptronic - trackday roughie
    UZZ32 Soarer - Active Hydropneumatic Suspension (A-SUS) & Active Four Wheel Steering (A-4WS) - cruiser

hmmm well in saying that the 1JZ is basically a shorter stroked 2JZ would the 2JZ head fit str8 on?

How hard are the R154 gearboxes to find and fit in and what else would be needed like pedal set and so on how hard are they to come by and would a budget of $2000 cover all that?

but what your also saying is thatthe 2JZ will fit str8 in using the same loom and so on and thats its basicallt the V160 that i will have the most trouble fitting ?

I seen this guy in zoom fit an Aristo 2JZ with a R154 box into his 88 model soarer most probley why he used the R154 box due to the size of the GETRAG.

is the bestest Conversion King LeeRoy's Avatar

I dont think your listening to what these people are saying.

It seems as though you want to do an engine conversion and throw a 2jz in your car for all the wrong reasons. Cause your mate has one, cause you saw one in zoom, and whatever else.

As norbie has said the 1jz is not far behind the 2jz anyways so unless your bulding a 1000hp drag car or something where your goals far surpass the limits of the 1jz then theres almost no point upgrading the engine in what will not only be an expensive but also a moderately difficult conversion.

A manual conversion can be done quite easily provided you can get all the parts and i worry that a budget of $2000 is enough. The Toyshop in newcastle (or somewhere on the north coast) sell soarer manual conversion kits that include an r154, a clutch, bellhousing, pedal box, and whatever else is needed to get a manual cog swapper in there. My friend bought one of these and it was a pretty good package with the only mod required being a hole drilled in the firewall for the clutch master cylinder. IIRC the package was around $2500.

Heres a link to their site Here

Stay away from Dellow bellhousings allowing you to bolt a w58 up, theyre rubbish.

Once again theres no point putting the 2jz head unless your at the limits of the 1jz and even then since i doubt you plan to meet specific rules ie under 2.8l or whatnot then you might as well put a whole 2j in.

Really though, what gains will you have from having a 2j under the bonnet of your land barge? A small crowd in a Macdonalds carpark?
    Daily Driver: Red Ae93 Project: My TA22 - now with 3s-gte
    D is for Disco, E is for Dancing

Well said.

Engine conversions are painful, difficult and expensive - you should only attempt them if you have very good reasons for doing so. I've yet to see any good reasons in this thread.

If you want a turbo Soarer with a manual transmission, guess what - Toyota sold them like that from the factory! Buy one of these and be happy. Save yourself the hassle of making a square peg fit in a round hole.

yer well as i said i wasnt sure about the 2JZ and 1JZ being very different or not but now i know but yesh i have been looking for a manual Soarer and i havnet come across any except 1 that was a 97 model they wanted $15,000 for it and it was a 2JZGE Manual.

In this case i rather just do up the 1JZ if its just as good or close to the 2JZ i heard they are both good engines but see my mate was saying a 1UGTE or somthing and i have read nothing but bad thinsg bout these engines doing bearings and so on i think the 1JZ and 1UGTE or what ever it is called he is mixing it up as his soarer is a 2LT 6 cylinder not 2.5 so it isnt a 1JZGTE.

He dosnet even know what engine he has.

Your mate has an g/mz10 or maybe an g/mz20 soarer which either came with the 1ggte 2l straight 6 twin turbo, or the 7mgte which is a 3l straight six single turbo bhg monster. The jzz30 came with the 1jzgte and 2jzge if my mind serves me right.

The 1ggte is not necessarily prone to bearing problems but they are an expensive engine to fix with little aftermarket support. However, some people on the forum have done unbelieveable things to these engines and now produce mind boggling numbers.

In the case of you also having either a 1g or 7m then an engine upgrade seems less idiotic.

Easiest solution, either take a photo of your mates car, or pop the hood and grab the first part of the vin. Probably a good idea to do the same with your car.

nah the soarer i wont has the CRX looking front lights the round lights and that his are just square to totally different models as i only seen the back and engine bay of his car as its in pieces no front bumper or lights and no doors or rear bumper i didnt notice it was a different model.

This is why he is wanting the 2JZ or 1JZ i was thinking along the same lines but now knowing mine is a different model that i am looking for that allready has the 1JZ as you guys said the 2JZ is pretty much a waste of good 1JZ bolt-on upgrade money right guys.

i was told the JZZ30 came with a 1JZGTTE,2JZGE and a UZFE or somthing along them lines of engines.

looks like wen i get it ill just use smart bolt ons on the 1JZ as i was getting the 1JZ and 1GGTE mixed up thinking there wasnt much support for that engine so was thinking of going 2JZ do you guys get me now?

My mistake sorry guys.

They came with 1jzgte, 2jzge, and 1uzfe (this is the sc400 lexus)

Have a look though the members rides threads for ideas, theres guys in there running 11sec qtrs in 1jz soarers still using the standard turbos.

There is also a few good threads around on getting good power out of them, 300rwkw is an easily achievable figure and more than you could need for a street car.

Ok kool thanks for the info mate.

SO00RA Domestic Engineer 4agerolla's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KINGKONG
    but yesh i have been looking for a manual Soarer and i havnet come across any except 1 that was a 97 model they wanted $15,000 for it and it was a 2JZGE Manual.
    There is about 3 or 4 manual JZZ30's on carsales.com.au at the moment, I was teasing myself earlier

I.e., 1jz-gte powered cars (JZZ30)
    - Silver 2012 Lexus ISF - 2UR-GSE 5 litre V8 goodness
    - Black JZZ30 Soarer - 1JZ-GTE VVTi + factory R154 manual
    - Blue KE17 Sprinter- 3k + K40 manual
    - White MS55 Crown - 2M + 4 speed column shift manual
    - Blue MS51 Crown Hard Top - Angry 4M-B + W50 manual