Thread: Wiring information for 2JZ-GE and auto into MX83 Cressida in progress

Forum Member Grease Monkey

Default Wiring information for 2JZ-GE and auto into MX83 Cressida in progress

I am hoping to upload all the wiring information as I carry out this conversion of installing a 2JZ-GE and auto into a 1990 MX83 Grande.

So far I have found a lot of dead links and NOTHING constructive on the so called Cressida forum so here goes :-)

Some diagrams made by others I have edited after pulling a complete harness apart and tracing each wire.

Thanks to those members who have given me helpful advice to date.
    * The ECU wire colours image is just the ECU wires of the engine/trans harness that comes through the firewall.
    Last edited by ujw296; 09-03-2014 at 11:51 PM.

Default Re: Wiring information for 2JZ-GE and auto into MX83 Cressida in progress

In my searches of the net I have found heaps of MX83 ECU and plug pinouts but after checking them out they are different to the Australian market vehicles. I bought a U.S. 1990 factory repair and a 1990 factory EWD manual for my car and not much tied in?
    The closest was a 1988 Toyota repair manual and EWD a local dealer let me cross reference. I can't find a local market book for sale even from Toyota.

I am hoping there is a way to upload these files easier than 5 at once?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Wiring information for 2JZ-GE and auto into MX83 Cressida in progress

Here we go with a few more files.
    Hopefully with just the glovebox removed it will be possible for others to confirm their wire pinouts and colours before proceeding with a conversion and then getting in a mess :-)

The differences in wiring across several sources and manuals/EWD's was:

The use of ECU pinouts T4 # 8,9,10, T3 # 5,10 T5 # 17,18,19 and the 7MGTE was heaps different in functions.

In the wiring diagrams the AFM, ISC Valve, Injectors, Igniter, Distributor, Check connector and AFM to circuit opening relay.

A couple more MX83 files.

Another thing I noticed in my searches was that a lot of the MX83 T4 ECU connectors were only 24 pin not 26 like ours??
    The ECU's all had the same T3 16 and T5 22 pin though.
    I have attached the pic of the MX83 harness I bought to save headaches later when doing the swap, I am hoping to connect what's left into the 2JZ loom. It looks like there will be even less of it left now I've decided to use a 2JZ auto and it's wiring :-)
    Last edited by ujw296; 09-03-2014 at 07:15 PM.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

ipull cover off the 7m ecu and u will see the pinouts
    ts not a hard job just might take u a day ro 2
    just wire up the big grey plug for now to get it running
    and then I cut the 7m ecu apart to get the mate for the 22 pin plug that plugs intot he 7m ecu
    then join the mating plug to the 2j loom or ecu wiring
    then u need to make something to trigger the circuit opening relay cause the 2j has a fuel pump controller
    getting it running is easy
    making it neat and getting everything working like factory takes abit of time

Much appreciated thanks dumbass.

I have the full 2JZ engine and ECT control diagrams and the same for the MX83 now so fingers crossed.
    I already pulled both covers off my ECU but saw no pinout labels so I am off to the wreckers and pull the lids off another one just to be sure. Is it a printed label or on the PCB's?

Cheers
    Last edited by ujw296; 16-03-2014 at 10:25 PM.

Some more information after looking through AMP, TE Connectivity and Farnell catologues then speaking to Tech support:

The T3, T4 and T5 connectors are specific to ECU's and so there is no mating socket (receptacle) they are also known as hybrid plugs because they have OEM specific different sized pins (gold plated too).
    The orange and grey plugs on the 2JZ are OEM specific hybrid plugs too. The few larger pins will fit what I bought.

I also looked through the Toyota wiring repair manual which shows all the connector part numbers but Toyota couldn't supply any of them!

I was then referred to RS Components and after searching for the AMP numbers and using the RS part numbers I ordered and received these:

Connector pins male & female for the different gauges of wire:
    3629351 Multilock 070 socket 24-22 AWG
    3629373 Multilock 070 pin 24-22 AWG
    3629367 Connector female 20-16 AWG
    3629389 Connector male 20-16 AWG

Connector blocks female and male 20 way:
    7201190 070 Receptacle (socket)
    7201178 070 Plug

Their terminology of the products varies so I only ordered the minimum till I was sure. I also tried to find a 10 way 070 series male/female connector but only found: 531-4578 10 way plug housing receptacle, no male?

I already have the proper crimping tool (utilux) but Jaycar sell one for about $15.

Attached are some images of the items.
    Hopefully I can do the conversion and be able to do diagrams and pinouts using these connector systems (nearly 50 wires!)
    Last edited by ujw296; 06-04-2014 at 02:38 PM.

its not a headache just alot of stress
    i try not to label everything as it maskes it look messy
    i do a drawing of all the body and ecu plugs and work with one wire at a time
    and most of the shit i remember in back fo my head
    Last edited by dumbass; 06-04-2014 at 08:38 PM.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer crowncustom's Avatar

Our 7M ECU doesn't have the pinouts printed on the circuit board unlike some 1G ones.
    Cheers Brett.

Thanks Brett
    I discovered that after pulling 3 ECU's out of Cressida's, it would have made life so easy :-).
    Bit of a bum steer wherever I got that info.
    Cheers

the info is out there u just need to know how to use google properly
    whenever I do 1j or 2j to cressidas I just use an 8 pin plug
    most of the wiring I use the Cressida wiring behind glovebox and
    fit all the extra relays needed to get it working properly

Junior Member Domestic Engineer crowncustom's Avatar

All if not most Toyota EFI wiring is the same.Once you get your head round the diagrams an colour codes it becomes second nature.
    Cheers Brett.

A few more pinouts and wiring information on the speedo sensor, COR and ignition switch that may help others, the original of the COR pinout image is thanks to wilbo666.
    Last edited by ujw296; 13-07-2014 at 12:21 PM.

An optional ECU mounting position retaining most of the glovebox.
    If the ECU is mounted as far in as possible behind the dash then there is still room to remove & refit the connectors.
    If moving the light to the LHS make sure it clears the glovebox lid stay.
    I have attached an image of the ECU bracket template & measurements I made, obviously the right hand bracket is a mirror image.
    Last edited by ujw296; 29-09-2014 at 01:22 PM. Reason: ECU bracket image