Thread: Electronic injection to Carburetor?

Not known unless ur blown Backyard Mechanic

Default Electronic injection to Carburetor?

Is this possible to do? Dispose of the computer and build a manifold to suit the 1uz?
    If so please elaborate
    Regards Lewi

R.I.P. RADAR

Junior Member Carport Converter Billzilla's Avatar

Default Re: Electronic injection to Carburetor?

Yes it's possible to do, and often a very silly thing to do.
    Unless you run in a class in racing that requires the use of carbies, you would be mad to run them over modern EFI.
    www.billzilla.org
    Toymods founding member #3

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

What he said.

Also if you ditch the ECU what are you going to do about ignition timing? Adapting a distributor with mechanical advance sounds like a shitload of work, on top of building a custom inlet manifold which is a shitload of work to begin with. It will end up costing you more than a proper standalone ECU installation and won't be as good, so you'd want to have very good reasons for attempting such a thing.

Twin screw superchager ftw... WITH NO WIRES lol thats all i want... no wires haha i dont understand enough about the wiring involved in an engine coversion so i'll just get rid of them all together

Non qualified Domestic Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by Radar
    Twin screw superchager ftw... WITH NO WIRES lol thats all i want... no wires haha i dont understand enough about the wiring involved in an engine coversion so i'll just get rid of them all together
    Do some learning. We all had to start at the begining at some point in our lives.
    Carbies and mechanical distibutors suck at the best of times. Carbies and mechanical distributors suck even more when they're used anywhere near forced induction, especially on a street car where drivability and fuel ecconomy are real conciderations.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas
    except for a very few exceptions
    "Don't worry what people think, they don't do it very often."

Daily: Glorified Taxi (F6 Typhoon). Out Of Action: Twin-charged Adub. Ongoing Nightmare: Over re-engineered (not) Alfa Romeo 75.

i dont understand enough about the wiring involved in an engine coversion so i'll just get rid of them all together
    OK, get back to us when you figure out how to get an old-school distributor on a 1UZ.

If wires really bother you that much get an old 302 or something; it doesn't make sense to start with a high-tech engine if high-tech scares you.

Thanks for the positivity
    Well... if u think about it as long as the 1uz i would buy isn't VVTI... why do i need electronics?
    Plug a coil into the dizzy, and wire the coil to the battery.
    Who says you cant get the same fuel economy from a Carby as you can from EFI... As long as everything tuned correct they are the same...
    Think about it, the drag cars that produce 5000hp the engines that are designed to last one drag, they don't use EFI..
    !analog ftw!

Non qualified Domestic Engineer

Thanks for the positivity
    Well... if u think about it as long as the 1uz i would buy isn't VVTI... why do i need electronics?
    Plug a coil into the dizzy, and wire the coil to the battery.
    Who says you cant get the same fuel economy from a Carby as you can from EFI... As long as everything tuned correct they are the same...
    Think about it, the drag cars that produce 5000hp the engines that are designed to last one drag, they don't use EFI..
    !analog ftw!
    1. You will have to come up with some sort of advance mechanism that you can set up to provide power, drivability and safety from detination.
    2. You will never be able to achieve the same combination of power, fuel economy, drivability and engine safety with a carby. They are just to simplistic in their fuel delivery (not to mention non computer controlled igntion timing). How can a carby accurately allow for changes in inlet temperature, and massive variations in inlet airflow?
    3. Your last statement is the most irrelivent to real world cars!
    Think about it, drag cars (top fuellers, judging by your example) use a much narrower power band then most people think, don't run for very long, don't have to negotiate traffic/hill starts/highway cruising, invariably smash something in the process, are run by teams with realy big budgets.......... yadyadayada. Why do people who are living in the past always use top fuel drag cars as an excuse for not wanting anything to do with engine management systems
    Formula 1 engines run to 20000+rpm, run for much longer periods than any drag engine, and guess what, they're all controlled by a computer.
    Carbies, get over them, they're shit best left in the past.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas
    except for a very few exceptions
    "Don't worry what people think, they don't do it very often."

Daily: Glorified Taxi (F6 Typhoon). Out Of Action: Twin-charged Adub. Ongoing Nightmare: Over re-engineered (not) Alfa Romeo 75.

Junior Member Carport Converter Billzilla's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Plonka
    <snip>

Carbies, get over them, they're shit best left in the past.

Nah good ones aren't that bad. But even a good carby won't be as good as even a cheap ECU.
    They do have better fuel atomisation than a lot of injectors and to a degree they also can compensate a lot better with any changes you make to the engine. For example, in an EFI engine if you change the cams then that'll mean maybe an hour on the dyno resetting all the load points.
    A carby engine most times won't need anything done.

But yeah you'd still be mad to want a carby over even a cheap ECU. It'll run better and be more reliable. Another quick example of the difference it can make is one told to me by a Formula Atlantic engine builder - He said that his best carby engine made 238hp. When the rules changed and allowed EFI his new engine got 242hp ..... not a lot of difference but what was much better was that he got 20hp more at 6,000rpm. There's just not that fine level of control that you need to make an engine really nice to drive and good on fuel with carbies.
    www.billzilla.org
    Toymods founding member #3

Regarding top fuel cars, electronic engine control is explicitly banned - otherwise I guarantee they'd all be using it.

Anyway I can sort of understand wanting to use a carby (for example if you're building a rat rod and want the old-school look) but the problem of ignition advance remains.

Plug a coil into the dizzy, and wire the coil to the battery
    Just not that easy I'm afraid, the stock distributor is locked solid and has no mechanical or vacuum advance mechanism. This means you'll be running static ignition timing from idle to redline; fine for a lawnmower but not so fine for a car engine. There's no easy way to retrofit an old-style mechanical advance distributor from a different engine; the 1UZ was designed with direct-fire ignition in mind from day one. This leaves you with three options:

1. Lots of fiddly fabrication work to retrofit some sort of distributor, probably including hacking up and machining one of the heads.
    2. Using an ignition-only ECU to drive the coils (OMG wires!)
    3. Give up and use a more suitable engine, like an old 302 or 350, which comes with a carby and mechanical distributor out of the box.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic manny's Avatar

A fair bit of info here on 1UZ & Carby conversions

http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3406

Apparently they've been racing carby fed 1UZ super stock cars in NZ for years.
    GSE20 IS250 - daily
    UZZ30 Soarer - 1UZ-FE/R154/Adaptronic - trackday roughie
    UZZ32 Soarer - Active Hydropneumatic Suspension (A-SUS) & Active Four Wheel Steering (A-4WS) - cruiser

Norbie i like the fact ur a ford fan but yeah I didn't understand about the <quote>the stock distributor is locked solid and has no mechanical or vacuum advance mechanism. This means you'll be running static ignition timing from idle to red line</quote> The way my dad explained it led me to believe that it was a lot more simple than it actually is...
    Wiring isn't hard (besides engine conversions) just annoying and time consuming and a lot harder to work on... Plus if you think about it, a carby 1uz would sound very differnt to a EFI one... :-) This isn't an actual happening thing yet, I was just curious on the whole thing..

HAHA well you know I might like the idea of EFI if someone could explain in detail how the hell you do the wiring in an engine coversion

BTW norb.. 302 all the way! Rev's higher and makes some decent numbers... then again the 351 makes a very mean sound

Hmm how do you think a 1uz would go in an ra28 celica?

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic TC1600's Avatar

If you want EFI with a different sound check out this setup, using 2x quad throttle bodies from a 4AGE 20V.

http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=26920
    Last edited by TC1600; 14-11-2007 at 11:15 PM. Reason: added link :rolleyes: