Thread: 3t-gte factory compression ratio

Forum Member

Default 3t-gte factory compression ratio

I'm trying to find information about what compression ratio a 3t-gte with stock internals should be?
    I recently swapped my slightly beat up Ke20 with my housemate for his gt-t celica. He intended to have it towed because the car was unreliable for work. As I'm without my licence for a couple months I decided I'd try to find the engine fault That causes it to idle irregularly and loose power. Especially when the engine heats up. The engine does sometime run smoothly when first started witch leads me to believe the problem will be something eletrical or a leaky gasket. My first step will be to comp test each cylinder. I'd appreciate any ideas on what else I should check. Or recommendations of mechanics in melbourne how are good with turbo toyota dignostics. My housemate has taken it to a mechanic who was unable to find anything probably cos it ran fine the day he looked at it.

Thanks, Sorry my posts a bit long. This is the first time I've used this site.

nuts Grease Monkey

Default Re: 3t-gte factory compression ratio

the ones i've compression tested were around 120 - 130 psi range.
    compression ratio 7.8:1
    3tgte don't have a diagnostics mode

i've written up some tech stuff on 3tgte here
    http://www.toycrazy.net/tech/3tgte.htm

from what you're explaining it could be a range of faults.. ones i'd look into are:

afm plug not clipped on? are you missing the metal wire clip off it?

air leak.. any leaks between the afm and the engine, including the intake manifold and breather pipes will cause problems.

blocked/dirty injectors will give an erratic idle but is usually is consistantly erratic.

check plugs on the injectors are plugged on properly.

pull leads and check the terminals in the dizzy are not corroded or the leads themselves.

replace the green temp sensor on the thermostat housing and see if that fixes it.

is afm flap sticking? take afm off and push flap with your finger and see if it opens smoothly.

try those
    -Mark
    E2 + E7 fan
    '71 KE26 5k, '75 KE25 SR 4agte, '78 KP60 bug 4k-u, '83 KE70 SR Coupe 3tgte, '84 KE74, '84 YN57, '84 AE85.6, '86 AE82 FXGT 20v, '91 ST185, '92 SW20

Forum Member

AE25, Could you please tell me what you mean by "the afm"? I have no experience with turbo engines or efi systems but am keen to learn.

Not in the diner Alf! Conversion King RyleyMA61's Avatar

he means the airflow meter...

i know someone had similar problems with a 3tgte on here and it turns out the ecu was shagged....

good luck mate

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Quote Originally Posted by celica gt-t
    I'm trying to find information about what compression ratio a 3t-gte with stock internals should be?
    The 'compression ratio' is one of the last things you'd need to know about a stock/daily driver's engine, you just need the need the factory specs to measure the cylinder compression pressure for a 'compression test', what the numbers mean and other diagnostics.

From FSM Toyota Celica 1993 Vol 1, RM305U1, for the 3S-GTE it's
    1,128kPa 11.5kgfcm2 164psi or anything over is good, and
    883 9.0 128psi is the minimum, with the max difference 98 1.0 14psi.
    The pressure tells how old & tired it is, and the difference between each may indicate a problem.
    This is warmed up, all plugs out and open throttle, tested twice, and you can even leave it cold & closed throttle for testing without too much change in the results as long as you realise they may be lower for a reason.
    Pull/short the plug wires to get an even better idea about cylinders running equally.